Google Chrome or Firefox web browser?

I've been using Chrome since it first came out and I really like it. At first, I thought it was much faster and more stable than Firefox, but on reflection I think that was mostly because of all the plugins I had installed. If you aren't interested in learning a new interface, you might try uninstalling from Firefox all the plugins you aren't using.
Chrome. The young man who does my computers decided THAT question.

Started using Firefox several years ago, found it offered more features and options than Explorer. However, after installing the last update I've had trouble with repeated "Not Responding" and "Warning Unresponsive Script" messages, plus extremely slow response time. Followed the Troubleshooting and Help instructions, but nothing suggested worked. I'm on a high-speed DSL connection so know that's not it.

Decreased the hardware accelerator and changed the monitor refresh rate as suggested. That seemed to help for a while, but now it's back to it's old habits. I also downloaded and installed an updated graphics driver, which was also suggested.

Anyone have any ideas not in the Firefox Virtual How-To Manual?

Computer stats? Pentium 3, 4? Duo core? Quad core? How much RAM?

So I've been using Firefox for a few years now but was recently turned on to TACO addon. There's where the problem started. It will periodically lock up Firefox for a few seconds every so often, and often enough to be quite aggravating. So I did a little research and yes, other Firefox users have complained of the same thing. My son runs google chrome and it appears this doesn't happen with that. So I've installed google chrome and I'm just starting to test drive it some. Pretty different from Firefox so it'll take some getting used to. But, the locking up issue with TACO is gone with the chrome. I reinstalled Adblock Plus also. Can't live without them now.

But I'm wondering, google chrome or Firefox? What are your preferences?

Please don't say Internet Explorer 9 ... :eusa_hand:

TACO sucks.

As for a choice between Firefox and Chrome, Firefox wins hands down. It uses less memory, runs faster, and doesn't track you across the internet.

Use Ghostery instead of TACO.
It does the same thing...in fact I believe it is older than TACO.
I have been using Ghostery for at least a year or so - and never a problem in FF.

Ghostery is great, but I was using TACO for years, then Abine bought it and added a bunch of malware to it. Some developers have have taken the old code and maintained it as Beef TACO.

Started using Firefox several years ago, found it offered more features and options than Explorer. However, after installing the last update I've had trouble with repeated "Not Responding" and "Warning Unresponsive Script" messages, plus extremely slow response time. Followed the Troubleshooting and Help instructions, but nothing suggested worked. I'm on a high-speed DSL connection so know that's not it.

Decreased the hardware accelerator and changed the monitor refresh rate as suggested. That seemed to help for a while, but now it's back to it's old habits. I also downloaded and installed an updated graphics driver, which was also suggested.

Anyone have any ideas not in the Firefox Virtual How-To Manual?

This is how I solved that problem
:cool:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I uninstalled the "new" FF, and went here:
Download Firefox 4.0 - FileHippo.com
And downloaded FF 4.0

I just say "no" when any update popups show up
:cool:

Last edited:
I have found that Chrome works better on Linux when on a site that is using a Microsoft based system...which is kinda rare, but they are out there.
For instance turbotax online...Firefox doesn't work. You push buttons and nothing happens. It works in Chrome.
My daughters IUPUI student interface is Microsoft based...FF doesn't work...Chrome does.

Use to use Firefox but it got slow so I switched to Chrome and never looked back. I sometimes use IE since some webpages requires IE exclusively.. but IE9 aint bad either.

Yeah I'm really liking this Google Chrome. Once I watched a few videos on features and how to use them, and I've got it pretty well customized and all set up, I do like it better than FF. I love the "most visited" webpage page. I have set that to my new home page which I haven't changed in ten years, but my old home page is on the "most visited" page. I think chrome might be a tad faster than FF for browsing too. I like chromes "bookmark bar" too. Yeah I'm liking the chrome, and the lock up problem from TACO, gone.

The biggest benefit of using Chrome is that it doesn't have a problem formatting files when you use google.docs.

Use to use Firefox but it got slow so I switched to Chrome and never looked back. I sometimes use IE since some webpages requires IE exclusively.. but IE9 aint bad either.

Yeah I'm really liking this Google Chrome. Once I watched a few videos on features and how to use them, and I've got it pretty well customized and all set up, I do like it better than FF. I love the "most visited" webpage page. I have set that to my new home page which I haven't changed in ten years, but my old home page is on the "most visited" page. I think chrome might be a tad faster than FF for browsing too. I like chromes "bookmark bar" too. Yeah I'm liking the chrome, and the lock up problem from TACO, gone.

The biggest benefit of using Chrome is that it doesn't have a problem formatting files when you use google.docs.

I haven't noticed

I haven't noticed
Converting excel into google docs using FF, often the cells get distorted.

I've heard many coworkers complain about the same thing.

I've used Chrome since I had an issue with Firefox formatting. I've not gone back.

I was just trying out Chrome........ It's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Why the pirate talk over Chrome? I love it.

I use Firefox and Firefox derivatives with the old menu bar installed, you can't do that on Chrome which means, right now, it's like exploring an alien landscape when it's most inconvenient and frustrating. Maybe later, (this is the third time I've been frustrated by Chrome's set up).

Firefox is my favorite. Opera is a close second, then Chrome. Then Safari. Then telegrams, then telegraphs. Then fountain pens and paper. Then scratching on a cave wall. Then Internet Explorer.

Forum List

Back