Adblock Browser for Android Beta

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
Adblock is making a Browser that blocks ads. Ok, nothing really new, the more so as this is a Firefox based browser. You can also install Firefox and then the Adblock addon. The Adblock browser is not yet available in the Play Store but you can get it from here: Adblock Browser for Android Beta - Community - Google
Since I already have my favorite browsers, Javelin 3.2.6 and Firefox, installed, I am not going to check this one out now, but, however, I am sure that there are some people interested in it.

The big disadvantage of Firefox for Android is that it is slow and likes to crash on cheap devices. On the other hand it is open to the addons of the PC version and thus you can increase its functionality like with no other browser.

But if you really like a fast browser that can block ads you can try out the Javelin browser in the Play Store. I only recommend the older version that I use for certain reasons you will discover if you compare. Of course this version is not available in the Play Store anymore, but I still do have it and you can get it from here:
File-Upload.net - Javelin 3.2.6.apk

It features (No C&P, I am using it for a while now):
- Nice modern design (not available in newer versions)
- Tabs like that ones on a PC browser (not available in newer versions, that feature the classic tab list of all the android browsers)
- Reading mode that creates an eye-friendly e-book like reading experience of websites
- Various gestures
- Ads can be blocked
- Images can be blocked (not available in newer versions)
- VPN (not free)
- If your connection exceeded the data limit and is very slow, turn off images and the browser loads pages so quickly that you might think your connection is not throttled
- An option to disable Google´s analytic measures
- If you have Softkeys on your Display, Javelin can use that space nevertheless without interrupting their functionality (With Firefox e.g. this space is unused and black). Check out the settings if you have trouble.
- Slightly disturbing image on the preset default homepage: You are going to change it. I changed it to google.

Last edited:
I see, nobody gave the Javelin browser a try so far. I hope, it isn´t due to security concerns. That would be very funny in the face of the data grabbing apps on almost each smartphone.

I have discovered another nice browser, the Ghostery Browser. It also features an adblocker (labeled popup blocker, but I did not suffer any ads on USMB) and requires only a two MB download from the Play Store. It is a bit annoying that the softkey area is unused and black and the browser does not feature the nice range of functions of Javelin but I think it grants more privacy than any other browser.

I recently uninstalled Firefox and installed Google Chrome. After two weeks I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled Firefox. When I tried to use Adblock Plus, as I had in the past and it worked perfectly, it would not install. It would not work. Googled it and found Google is paying Adblock Plus NOT to install, or download. ( don't know if that is true )

I searched for another and found Adblock. It works! YEA! Just plain Adblock. The developers want a donation, from $10. and up, but I didn't know if it worked so I didn't "donate" anything. I would be willing to pay them $5.00 for their service, but no more.

Maybe though, my guilt will get to me as they are such a nice looking, very young couple who gave up their jobs to develop Adblock. I am not yet so cynical that I think their picture and their story to be fake.

I recently uninstalled Firefox and installed Google Chrome. After two weeks I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled Firefox. When I tried to use Adblock Plus, as I had in the past and it worked perfectly, it would not install. It would not work. Googled it and found Google is paying Adblock Plus NOT to install, or download. ( don't know if that is true )

I searched for another and found Adblock. It works! YEA! Just plain Adblock. The developers want a donation, from $10. and up, but I didn't know if it worked so I didn't "donate" anything. I would be willing to pay them $5.00 for their service, but no more.

Maybe though, my guilt will get to me as they are such a nice looking, very young couple who gave up their jobs to develop Adblock. I am not yet so cynical that I think their picture and their story to be fake.
Adblock worked fine for me. Did you search for Adblock in Google Play? There was Abdlock for Android that blocks ads on the entire phone but Google removed it. You can get the app from other sources, though. You can serach for adblock within Firefox to install this add-on.

How disturbing! I just installed Javelin on a new phone just to notice I cannot change the default page anymore. Annoying! Is now a pro-feature! Disgusting! How? My apk file was untouched while sleeping on the HDD. The browser can apparently receive instructions.

However, if you have been smart enough to follow my advice, you might be angry now! This will not be my fault!
Then, uninstall Javelin and install this 3.2.6 Pro version, instead. Do not use newer versions, its nonsense.

MEGA

I got my phone a few years ago, installed Firefox and I use it about once a month for about 2 minutes each time. I use Google Maps on the phone maybe 5 times a month at the very most. I think the last time I texted was 6 months ago....... Wonder why I even have a smart phone sometimes........

I got my phone a few years ago, installed Firefox and I use it about once a month for about 2 minutes each time. I use Google Maps on the phone maybe 5 times a month at the very most. I think the last time I texted was 6 months ago....... Wonder why I even have a smart phone sometimes........
I need one for the Internet. To play BF3 online, it must have LTE.

I need one for the Internet. To play BF3 online, it must have LTE.
I don't use mine to play any games, at all, too small, heck I only play a couple of RTS games on my 17" laptop and none on my 13" Yoga 2. Almost all my games I play on my desktop with a 24" monitor and I allot myself only a relatively small amount of time each day to play.

Forum List

Back