Goodnight, Markie

I identified with Bull Shannon, the bailiff on that show.

1699313363494.jpeg

My wife and I once almost met Harry Anderson.

We were in Hollywood, and had wandered into a magic shop. We saw a man who sure looked a lot like him, and I discretely asked the shopkeeper, who confirmed that yes, that was him, and that it was not uncommon for him to shop there.

My wife and I decided not to bother him, figuring he probably tended to get enough unwanted attention from fans. We thought it best to leave him to his business.

Then there was another occasion, in an antique store in Goleta. My wife had struck up a conversation with another woman in the store. While the two of them were talking, I happened to notice a resemblance to a by-then rather obscure celebrity, and just as I was beginning to0 mention it, I noted that she was wearing a name tag with the name “Ruthy” and identifying her as a participant in the Concourse d'Elegance car show that was taking place nearby. he confirmed that she was, indeed, Ruth Buzzi, and was flattered that I thought she must be much older than she looked. I would have believed her to be about my age, based on her appearance, but I know that she was an adult while I was still a child, so she had to be considerably older than I was. Most prominently, I remember my parents letting me stay up late, as a child to watch Laugh In, on which she was a regular. She was much more famous, then, than she was by this time that I met her, and probably at the point where she enjoyed the occasions, here and there, when someone recognized and remembered her. My wife, at this time, was only vaguely aware that there was someone famous by that name, had no idea what she looked like, and no idea at all that that was the stranger with whom she had struck up a conversation.

I had the opportunity to meet Denzel Washington at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Greensboro, North Carolina. He was in the section next to me and we casually started a conversation before I realized who he was. The guy is very genuine and a class act. He autographed my dinner napkin.

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to meet Denzel Washington at a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Greensboro, North Carolina. He was in the section next to me and we casually started a conversation before I realized who he was. The guy is very genuine and a class act. He autographed my dinner napkin.
I saw Robin Williams in the Exploratorium in SF in the early nineties. He was there with his kids and I with my daughter. I felt he deserved family time and when he looked my way, I nodded in greeting which he returned. We went our separate ways and I asked my daughter if she knew who he was. She said no, and I said, "That's Mork" LOL, never dawned on me that she didn't have a clue who Mork was. It never crossed my mind that she might know Peter Pan or Mrs. Doubtfire.

Forum List

Back