Good teaching tool for early teaching in biology

I invite you to begin doing it. Perhaps you'll run with the big dogs some day..
I've been doing it. Works great. I turned down invitations to run with the 'big dogs'. Not my thing. I run alone.

Edit. I was invited because of my honesty, trustworthiness, and dependability, not my technical knowledge of the business. I declined because the commitment would have interfered with other plans I had for my life.
I insist on maximum control of my life, even when working for someone else. I simply take over any job I have and do it better than my employer expects. I make myself the boss in that regard. Very liberating, and rewarding.

Last edited:
I really don't know where I fit in. I do such a good job that my boss looks at me like I have two heads. He can't understand how an employee can care more about the business than the owner does.
Ha, well, good. There is more to life than scientific knowledge, obviously. And if you reject it or just stay ignorant of it, that's fine, too. Just stay quiet in discussions of those topics, then. Just some advice.

Ha, well, good. There is more to life than scientific knowledge, obviously. And if you reject it or just stay ignorant of it, that's fine, too. Just stay quiet in discussions of those topics, then. Just some advice.
Hey, that's what these forums are used for: often stupid (but fun) arguments. ;)

"At the fundamental level" -- your English professor will tell you science means "activity encompassing the systematic study of"..
Get back to me when you're ready to listen to, think about, and "believe in" what your English professor already told you..
Do you think that the study of evolution is the fundamental level of biology in regard to Talk is cheap. Life is short. Making sense is valuable. ???

Better to study anatomy, nutrition.

Last edited:
Do you think that evolution is the fundamental level of biology in regard to Talk is cheap. Life is short. Making sense is valuable. ???
I think this might be a good time to talk about what a scientific theory is, and what "elective theories" are.

Biology itself is applied chemistry and physics. It applies these things to biological systems.

The theory of evolution asserts and explains one basic principle: all extant species share a common ancestor. The rest of the theory follows from this assertion.

Evolution is am "effective theory", like gravity theory. It produces accurate explanations and predictions without the benefit of full knowledge of the state of each atom or individual or species. Just as gravity theory accurately predicts the motion of an orbiting satellite without knowing the state of each atom in the earth or the satellite.

Do you think that the study of evolution is the fundamental level of biology in regard to Talk is cheap. Life is short. Making sense is valuable. ???

Better to study anatomy, nutrition.
Admit it. You haven't actually thought about this. Respond when you have.. Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath.

"Good teaching":
My mom is right. Atheists and agnostics are not obligated to radiate "perfect hatred." Isn't it nice to be nice?
- Dan Barker FFRF
The theory of evolution asserts and explains one basic principle: all extant species share a common ancestor. The rest of the theory follows from this assertion.

Evolution is am "effective theory", like gravity theory. It produces accurate explanations and predictions without the benefit of full knowledge of the state of each atom or individual or species. Just as gravity theory accurately predicts the motion of an orbiting satellite without knowing the state of each atom in the earth or the satellite.
Formal science vs the other kind:
As opposed to empirical sciences (natural and social), the formal sciences do not involve empirical procedures. They also do not presuppose knowledge of contingent facts, or describe the real world. In this sense, formal sciences are both logically and methodologically a priori, for their content and validity are independent of any empirical procedures.[citation needed]

Therefore, straightly speaking, formal science is not an empirical science. It is a formal logical system with its content targeted at components of experiential reality, such as information and thoughts. As Francis Bacon pointed out in the 17th century, experimental verification of the propositions must be carried out rigorously and cannot take logic itself as the way to draw conclusions in nature. Formal science is a method that is helpful to empirical science but cannot replace empirical science.[citation needed]

Although formal sciences are conceptual systems, lacking empirical content, this does not mean that they have no relation to the real world. But this relation is such that their formal statements hold in all possible conceivable worlds – whereas, statements based on empirical theories, such as, say, general relativity or evolutionary biology, do not hold in all possible worlds, and may eventually turn out not to hold in this world as well. That is why formal sciences are applicable in all domains and useful in all empirical sciences.[citation needed]

Because of their non-empirical nature, formal sciences are construed by outlining a set of axioms and definitions from which other statements (theorems) are deduced. For this reason, in Rudolf Carnap's logical-positivist conception of the epistemology of science, theories belonging to formal sciences are understood to contain no synthetic statements, instead containing only analytic statements.[6][7]
So says the Wikipedia.. So says the flock!

See also: Natural science (Biology included) and Social science

Last edited:
The earth is not flat. Humans don’t live to be 600 years old.
The bible doesn't say either.

Psalm 90:10
The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

The bible doesn't say either.

Psalm 90:10
The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree.

5. And Noah did all that the LORD commanded him.

6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth.

After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree.

5. And Noah did all that the LORD commanded him.

6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth.
The "four corners" are the four directions: North, south, east, and west.

Forum List

Back