"Good" Hair

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Chris Rock recently self-produced a mini-documentary on the subject (basically) of African American womens' ("AAW") hair.

It seems that 80% of the money that American women spend on "hair products" is spent on chemicals to treat the hair of AAW's, and other products (e.g., weaves) whose main purpose is to make AAW's hair look more "European." Further, some AAW are known to spend, individually, amounts that create financial hardship in other areas of their lives - missed utility bills, foregone food, and so forth, to maintain their "nice" hair.

A "Black" woman interviewed on a daytime talk show the other day made the "interesting" argument (in support of her hair Jones) that kinky, "rough" or "nappy" hair was appropriate for her ancestors when they lived in the African jungles, but it is not appropriate for the American climate or, frankly, for American contemporary culture.

The question one cringes to address is, "Is this striving for 'European' or 'nice' hair a form of Black self-loathing?"

Look to FLOTUS, if you will. I simply cannot imagine her going out in public with, say, cornrows, or something approaching what used to be called a "natural." The image she emphatically projects is one that includes chemically straightened hair.

A generation ago, the cry of "Black is Beautiful!" was, in large part a cry for acceptance of hair that was not "processed" or "straightened," and that generation of "Blacks" went to great lengths to make the "natural" style more aesthetically appealing, though I have it on good authority that it was not a "natural" look in any realistic sense. It required a great deal of attention to get it to look that way.

As an old "white" man, I blush to admit that the "Black" women I find attractive are uniformly women with straightened - and often colored - hair. While there is nothing repulsive about more natural hairstyles, I just don't find it aesthetically appealing. When I see side-by-side pictures of "Black" women with straight and natural hair, the straightened one always looks "better" to me, and sometimes dramatically so.

Is this a cultural problem, and if so, what can be done about it. Can America change what it apparently likes?

P.S. I suppose it would be apropos to mention here that most "white" women also go to some lengths (no pun intended) to change the appearance of their natural hair. They change its color, remove the gray, enhance the natural curliness or straightness, and so on.

Indeed this is a problem in Black culture. Until there is an acceptance by American society of the naturally kinky hair texture in the workforce Black women with kinky hair will continue to straighten their hair. If this dynamic was removed you would have seen long ago that way more Black women would be wearing their hair naturally kinky. The Black women with naturally wavy or straight hair have it easier but they still get some flack as well.

Company Policy Requires Missouri Woman To Cut Her Dreadlocks To Keep Her Job

Following reports of a Baltimore woman fired from her job because of her blonde highlights, another black woman is facing discrimination because of the way she chooses to wear her hair.

Ashley Davis, a 24-year-old from St. Peters, Mo., said a change in her company's policy now requires her to cut off her dreadlocks.

Chris Rock recently self-produced a mini-documentary on the subject (basically) of African American womens' ("AAW") hair.

It seems that 80% of the money that American women spend on "hair products" is spent on chemicals to treat the hair of AAW's, and other products (e.g., weaves) whose main purpose is to make AAW's hair look more "European." Further, some AAW are known to spend, individually, amounts that create financial hardship in other areas of their lives - missed utility bills, foregone food, and so forth, to maintain their "nice" hair.

A "Black" woman interviewed on a daytime talk show the other day made the "interesting" argument (in support of her hair Jones) that kinky, "rough" or "nappy" hair was appropriate for her ancestors when they lived in the African jungles, but it is not appropriate for the American climate or, frankly, for American contemporary culture.

The question one cringes to address is, "Is this striving for 'European' or 'nice' hair a form of Black self-loathing?"

I hope not; ALL women style their hair according to current fashions. In the 1970's afros/bushy hair was in style for everyone. Personally, I am happy to see Black women participating in the current straight blonde hair fashion (it will pass). There is no reason for them to be criticized for this; they can be just as attractive as any other women.

Women (all women) have always done stuff with their hair. The notion of "European" hair is just some PC douchebaggery in search of a thesis paper. I defy any of you pretentious pukes to find an African American woman with any hairstyle who will proclaim that she was trying to look like a white woman.

There is plenty of real racism and discord in the world; stop trying so hard to make more shit up.

The "Black" people in the documentary describe the hairstyle as "European."

Ironically, the weaves they buy use hair from India and other non-European areas.

The fact that "Black" women would not admit that they are trying to look "white" does not change the fact that they are.

IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A MAJOR CHANGE TO YOUR APPEARANCE TO FEEL "PRETTY," THEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY YOU ACTUALLY LOOK.

The presence of "Black" women who have beautiful faces and perfectly proportioned bodies, and who STILL feel like they have to do a number on their hair in order to be attractive is a disturbing fact about the culture. It is analogous to a "white" woman who is otherwise perfect but has small breasts, feeling like she has to have her boobs enhanced in order to be pretty and attractive. It is a problem with the culture.

The fact that "Black" women would not admit that they are trying to look "white" does not change the fact that they are....

What it doesn't change is the idiotic presumption behind your pointless fabrication.

IF YOU HAVE TO MAKE A MAJOR CHANGE TO YOUR APPEARANCE TO FEEL "PRETTY," THEN YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY YOU ACTUALLY LOOK..

Then I guess pretty much all women everywhere since the dawn of time haven't liked the way they look. :rolleyes:

Let it go. Your idiotic little Jr. high sociology thesis has failed. Move on.

So white women who have boob or butt jobs are also self loathing? Are you a misogynist?

So white women who have boob or butt jobs are also self loathing? Are you a misogynist?

It's worse than that. Any woman who wears makeup, nail polish, a bra, or so much as uses shampoo or a comb subconsciously wants to be another race. It's insidious!

Forum List

Back