Good books for guys?

Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

Man's Search for meaning by Victor Frankl

The poem If by Rudyard Kipling

Lord of the Rings of course

A lesser known series The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson

Good stuff on this list but also another example of the personal angle. I tried several times to read Tolkien, simply on the theory that everybody was reading it so there must be something there. It consistently put me to sleep. Never ever could get into it and still haven't read it to this day.
There's a ten page rule. If you aren't interested after the first 10 pages, bring it back and try something else.

Good stuff on this list but also another example of the personal angle. I tried several times to read Tolkien, simply on the theory that everybody was reading it so there must be something there. It consistently put me to sleep. Never ever could get into it and still haven't read it to this day.
Try again. Skip poems and the intro.

There's a ten page rule. If you aren't interested after the first 10 pages, bring it back and try something else.
Then lotr disqualifies . Worst opening ever.

I can't see how comic books teach good language skills, but on the other hand they are great tools for teaching a foreign language -- because the speech bubbles will be written colloquially and the action in the images immediately render the meaning obvious. The reader just has to bear in mind the difference between book language and colloquial.

But are we talking teaching basic reading? Like to kids?

Id stay away from sports also.
Why stay away from sports, Pogo?

These are not for formal reading instruction. I am looking for reading that is high interest and fun for guys. I haven't opened a comic book (or "graphic novel") since Betty & Veronica and Peanuts, and for most of my students I wouldn't allow it; they could do more.

I say stay away from sports because it seems to me notoriously infested with bad writing. It isn't unusual to read some sports story refer to "a couple runs" for one example. And I blame Miller Beer commercials during sports broadcasts for the egregious misuse of "less" when "fewer" is called for, from their advertising their Lite beer had "less [sic] calories"

I also caught myself early in my broadcasting days sounding like a sports play-by-play announcer, i.e. going on and on without using verbs. A bad habit I had to break but it entered unconsciously.

:cry:

I can't see how comic books teach good language skills, but on the other hand they are great tools for teaching a foreign language -- because the speech bubbles will be written colloquially and the action in the images immediately render the meaning obvious. The reader just has to bear in mind the difference between book language and colloquial.

But are we talking teaching basic reading? Like to kids?

Id stay away from sports also.

Depending on the age of the student, and barring any condition like dyslexia, the first step to getting any kid to read, and thus improve their reading, is to give them something they might find interesting to read...

Jabberwocky! There's a good one, regardless of the reader's interests.

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!

No big words...

He didn't need a dictionary to slow him down

:)
Huh? Did that make sense to you. Lol

yup

Rather than cite this or that novel or whatever that one has enjoyed in one's own past, doesn't it make more sense to determine what the reader is interested in (like aviation or mountain climbing or whatever), and then steer them to literature in that area, thereby handing them incentive?
Ray Bradbury... Philip K. Dick... Stephen King...

?
I could never get enough Dick when I was younger.

Ummmmm, let me rephrase that..........
yeah, I enjoyed Dick too....ahh.....no wait....
smh...

A little less "hey look what great stuff i was reading 85 years ago" and a little more actual tailored advice. Please. I read david copperfield when i was 12. No one cares.

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

Ray Bradbury... Philip K. Dick... Stephen King...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?
Good call on Bradbury. I had forgotten him.

Forum List

Back