Good books for guys?

For easter i gave my 6 year old a book with jokes. He is very encouraged to read now. The jokes mostly suck. But he reads.
I remember one year the favorite book I had was a book of jokes. My parents must have gone mental with all the elephant jokes.
Jokes are great for reading and expanding the Wortschatz. Sorry. I am too lazy to look up the English version. It should be unambiguously derivable. Lol.

Pick up a Hardy Boys book now; I dare ya. I did it not long ago with one of my favorite Nancy Drew's and it was totally insufferable. LOL

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

Ray Bradbury... Philip K. Dick... Stephen King...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!

Heinlein, Asimov, Clark to get them hooked.

Donaldson, Brooks, Tolkien to keep them going. Donaldson's vocabulary may be a bit large for them.

After that, they'll know what they want and will get it.

How old are the guys?

I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!

No big words...

He didn't need a dictionary to slow him down

:)

How old are the guys?

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?
I didn't know Stephen King wrote short stories! A lot of my students talk about liking the horror genre in movies. So maybe books, as well.

Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

Man's Search for meaning by Victor Frankl

The poem If by Rudyard Kipling

Lord of the Rings of course

A lesser known series The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson

Good stuff on this list but also another example of the personal angle. I tried several times to read Tolkien, simply on the theory that everybody was reading it so there must be something there. It consistently put me to sleep. Never ever could get into it and still haven't read it to this day.

Heinlein, Asimov, Clark to get them hooked.

Donaldson, Brooks, Tolkien to keep them going. Donaldson's vocabulary may be a bit large for them.

After that, they'll know what they want and will get it.
Who Clark?

:banana:
How old are the guys?

Cuz it is?:banana:

How old are the guys?

I didn't know Stephen King wrote short stories! A lot of my students talk about liking the horror genre in movies. So maybe books, as well.

He has eleven books of short stories. Some of them are longer novella types, maybe four or five stories to a book, others are more typical short story collections.

How old are the guys?

No big words...

He didn't need a dictionary to slow him down

:)
Huh? Did that make sense to you. Lol

Hmm...Some Raymond Fiest might be good too. Specifically, the Riftwar Saga. Has all the things a growing boy needs. Dragons, Demi-Gods, Elves, and a thief turned hero.

Forum List

Back