Good books for guys?

Hmm...Some Raymond Fiest might be good too. Specifically, the Riftwar Saga. Has all the things a growing boy needs. Dragons, Demi-Gods, Elves, and a thief turned hero.

I read a lot of Raymond E. Feist when I was younger. Would probably still be decent light reading as an adult, but not sure.

Another good one that most teen age boys would like (I know I loved it growing up) is a book by Robert A. Heinlein, called "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel". It's got a good story line (like most of Heinlein's works), and he also puts in some pretty decent humor as well.

Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

another thought...

Louis L'amour
I've never read him, but he must be good--that's like the third or fourth time he's been recommended.

They are all westerns with cowboys and ranchers, but they are all good stories and can be read from cover to cover in a couple of hours by your average reader.

But, one western series I would avoid if you are working with young boys is the Longarm series. It's about a sheriff who goes from town to town fighting bad guys and getting lots of tail. And, some of the sex scenes in the books can be pretty descriptive.

Another good one that most teen age boys would like (I know I loved it growing up) is a book by Robert A. Heinlein, called "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel". It's got a good story line (like most of Heinlein's works), and he also puts in some pretty decent humor as well.

Oh, I loved that.

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.
I teach adult ed, so they have to be 17. Most are drop outs, 18 or older.

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

Ray Bradbury... Philip K. Dick... Stephen King...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?
Good call on Bradbury. I had forgotten him.
I really liked Herbert, too. Started with the Dunes and then read his other stuff. He was good. Maybe not exciting, enough, though, for the guys.
Dune is too philosophical, religious even. It gets worse and worse and it is slow to begin with.

They need fast food. Jokes, adventure stories, action. Literary worth has zero importance at this stage.

another thought...

Louis L'amour
I've never read him, but he must be good--that's like the third or fourth time he's been recommended.

They are all westerns with cowboys and ranchers, but they are all good stories and can be read from cover to cover in a couple of hours by your average reader.

But, one western series I would avoid if you are working with young boys is the Longarm series. It's about a sheriff who goes from town to town fighting bad guys and getting lots of tail. And, some of the sex scenes in the books can be pretty descriptive.
My boys aren't "young," and probably most of them would find it quite recreational. It goes on my list.

Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land was the most overrated piece of horse shit I've ever read.

Perfect

9781504044011_p0_v4_s192x300.jpg

The “shocking” and “suspense-packed” bestseller about one teacher’s stand against student violence, and the basis for the Academy Award–nominated film ( The New York Times Book Review ).

After serving his country in World War II, Richard Dadier decides to become an English teacher—and for the sin of wanting to make a difference, he’s hired at North Manual Trades High School. A tough vocational school in the East Bronx, Manual Trades is home to angry, unruly teenagers exiled from New York City’s regular public schools. On his first day, Dadier endures relentless mockery and ridicule and makes an enemy of the student body by rescuing a female colleague from a vicious attack.

His fellow educators are bitter, disillusioned, and too afraid of their pupils to risk turning their backs on them in the classroom. But Dadier refuses to give up without a fight. Over the course of the semester, he tries again and again to break through the wall of hatred and scorn and win his students’ respect. The more he learns about their difficult circumstances, the more convinced he becomes that a good teacher can make a difference in their lives. His idealism will be put to the ultimate test, however, when a long-simmering power struggle with his most intimidating student explodes into a violent schoolroom showdown.

The basis for the blockbuster film starring Glenn Ford and Sidney Poitier, Evan Hunter’s The Blackboard Jungle is a brutal, unflinching look at the dark side of American education and an early masterpiece from the author who went on to write the gritty 87th Precinct series as Ed McBain. Drawn from Hunter’s own experiences as a New York City schoolteacher, it is a “nightmarish but authentic” drama that packs a knockout punch

another thought...

Louis L'amour

One of the really good things I derived form the Louis L'Amour books, having read them as a teenager, was (and this is going to sound corny, but I was young...) a sense of morality... right and wrong... doing the right thing just because it's the right thing.

How old are the guys?

If young then check out diary of a wimpy kid by jeff kinney. It is a series and i witnessed it making avid readers out of nintendo kids. Same goes for the Harry Potter fast food.

If attention spans are at issue, try books of short stories. Rarely more than a few chapters, completed in a short period of time, almost instant gratification...

When I was in high school, I read all of the works by Louis L'Amour. Not short stories necessarily, though he wrote some, but westerns. Who doesn't love a good western?
I really liked Herbert, too. Started with the Dunes and then read his other stuff. He was good. Maybe not exciting, enough, though, for the guys.
Dune is too philosophical, religious even. It gets worse and worse and it is slow to begin with.

They need fast food. Jokes, adventure stories, action. Literary worth has zero importance at this stage.
You're absolutely right, Eder. That's why I'm asking you. I find it hard to read something without some literary worth (or at least someone at the head of their craft, like DuMaurier). So I have not read any of this stuff. It's why I need you guys. THANK YOU ALL.

another thought...

Louis L'amour

One of the really good things I derived form the Louis L'Amour books, having read them as a teenager, was (and this is going to sound corny, but I was young...) a sense of morality... right and wrong... doing the right thing just because it's the right thing.
I kind of like the sound of that. I'm sure it was part of the formula for the novels, too.

How old are the guys?

I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!
potter is a third rate wizard.....

You're absolutely right, Eder. That's why I'm asking you. I find it hard to read something without some literary worth (or at least someone at the head of their craft, like DuMaurier). So I have not read any of this stuff. It's why I need you guys. THANK YOU ALL.
Elitist bitch, lol.

How old are the guys?

I was in line to buy the next Harry Potter book each time one came out. Loved that series--how can you call it fast food!
potter is a third rate wizard.....

He is certainly no Gandalf the grey...

Forum List

Back