Good books for guys?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I frequently get male students who need to improve their reading--and the best way to do that is to read. I know nothing about sports, hunting, motorcycles and other engines, etc, and I don't read that stuff.
Keeping in mind their reading levels aren't real high, what are some really interesting books they might enjoy?

Please keep it clean.

I frequently get male students who need to improve their reading--and the best way to do that is to read. I know nothing about sports, hunting, motorcycles and other engines, etc, and I don't read that stuff.
Keeping in mind their reading levels aren't real high, what are some really interesting books they might enjoy?

Please keep it clean.
the Dresden Files....

They did the Stephen King books that comprised the The Dark Tower series, those were pretty good. Maus and Maus II are unparalleled ( Maus - Wikipedia ). Pride of Baghdad was very good ( Pride of Baghdad - Wikipedia ). There's always The Walking Dead. There several faith oriented graphic novels. If we're talking young teens, I would guess just about any superhero comic off the racks would suit them fine.

Autobiographies...mostly sports figures. The topics are ones which most males have a grasp of...sportsball. Our culture has been turned into a bread and circus wonderland so most males have an in depth knowledge of sportsball.
Additionally, they are written at a level that the average eighth grader can comprehend and enjoy. Partly due to the audience but mostly due to subject matter; sportsball, coke, going into debt/prison and strippers.

Autobiographies...mostly sports figures. The topics are ones which most males have a grasp of...sportsball. Our culture has been turned into a bread and circus wonderland so most males have an in depth knowledge of sportsball.
Additionally, they are written at a level that the average eighth grader can comprehend and enjoy. Partly due to the audience but mostly due to subject matter; sportsball, coke, going into debt/prison and strippers.
Give me a few titles you enjoyed, please.

They did the Stephen King books that comprised the The Dark Tower series, those were pretty good. Maus and Maus II are unparalleled ( Maus - Wikipedia ). Pride of Baghdad was very good ( Pride of Baghdad - Wikipedia ). There's always The Walking Dead. There several faith oriented graphic novels. If we're talking young teens, I would guess just about any superhero comic off the racks would suit them fine.

I was home schooled for a couple years, and my mom made us read The Dark Tower series for reading assignments. My brother has the comics, but I have yet to read them. I'm sure they'd be lighter reading than the books for younger students.

Please keep it clean.

Although this is a series that was not written in the order in which it happen, I would suggest the syfy space adventure series, Vorkosigan Saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold, and would start with Shards of Honor. Although I think guys will like some of the later books more.

The books are written so that an adult would find them interesting, but could be read by a boy of 10 or 12. The nice part is the series is about 18 books long. You would hope, if you can get them started, they would continue. I should add, starting in about the third book, the hero is handicapped.

Attachments

• Shards_of_honor_cover.jpg
    Shards_of_honor_cover.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Why not the old standards?

Jules Verne
Mark Twain
etc
Meh. I've read some Jules Verne. The writting style is hard to keep up with. However I did get through all of "Mysterious Island" and it was very different than the movie and very good.

I can't see how comic books teach good language skills, but on the other hand they are great tools for teaching a foreign language -- because the speech bubbles will be written colloquially and the action in the images immediately render the meaning obvious. The reader just has to bear in mind the difference between book language and colloquial.

But are we talking teaching basic reading? Like to kids?

Id stay away from sports also.

Rather than cite this or that novel or whatever that one has enjoyed in one's own past, doesn't it make more sense to determine what the reader is interested in (like aviation or mountain climbing or whatever), and then steer them to literature in that area, thereby handing them incentive?

Forum List

Back