Golly Gosh, My Oh My: Romney Locks Horns With Reporters in Iowa

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Andrew Romano, Newsweek

At first glance, Mitt Romney had good reason to be pleased with the turnout at today's "Strengthening America's Military" event in Des Moines. The small room was packed to the proverbial rafters. A closer look, however, revealed a slightly less comforting reality: most of the audience--about 50 of the 80 in attendance--was of the journalistic persuasion.

Needless to say, the St. Petersburg Times' Adam Smith, Newsweek's Richard Wolffe, the New Yorker's Jeffrey Toobin and the Washington Post's David Broder and Dana Milbank don't just stumble upon tiny Romney events in Iowa.

Why the gargantuan gaggle? Simply put, hacks like me flew out from Washington and New York or trekked up from College Station, Texas hoping for a chance to hound, harass and/or harangue the former Massachusetts governor about the more controversial aspects of yesterday's "Faith in America" address. Strengthening America's military? Um, not so much.

In the end, we got our opportunity to hear Romney clarify "The Speech" (and even address new reports about the continued use of illegal immigrants to tend his lawn). But Romney made us--and the good people of Iowa--suffer for it. First, he was late. A half-hour late. No big deal, usually. Typical, in fact. But with today's unfavorable citizen-scribe ratio--not to mention all the pent-up reportorial passion--waiting quickly gave way to an absurdist round-robin tournament of man-on-the-street interviews. "I must be a celebrity by now," said one Iowan after his third consecutive quote-a-thon. "I should've worn a nicer suit." "It's okay," his interviewer shot back. "We'll notify your press secretary next time." Romney's actual address--summary: Ronald Reagan, Ronald Reagan, the Greatest Generation, Ronald Reagan--was less ridiculous. And also less entertaining.

The post-show press availability, however, was a different story. Held in a smaller side room, it kicked off cordially enough. "Things get exciting toward the end, don't they," said Romney, a dozen cameras clacking. "Gosh, look at this. It's good to see you all. Good day today. Thrilled to be in Des Moines with snow on the ground. With that..."

Insert shouting here. Then more shouting. Finally, above the fray, a question:

"I'm wondering why you didn't mention non-religious people in your speech yesterday, number one, and also what you meant by 'freedom requires religion'?" asked a reporter.

An important point--but Romney deflected. "I'm paraphrasing something that's been said both by John Adams and George Washington," he said. "Which is that, in their view, for a nation like ours to be great and to thrive... that our Constitution was written for a people of faith and religion. It's a very extraordinary element and foundation for our nation. I believe that's the case."

more ... http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/...osh-my-oh-my-looks-like-mitt-can-get-mad.aspx

Romney is SO going to take a beating for this from those who have chosen to screw his words around.:lol:

"I'm wondering why you didn't mention non-religious people in your speech yesterday"

Thank God for the Fourth Estate. Always on the lookout for the interests of heathens.

Forum List

Back