Going to give Apple a try.

HereWeGoAgain

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2010
Fuck Y'all I'm From Texas!
I've been a windows user from the beginning,but after going through three mid range laptops in just over a year and having iphones that never fail I've decided to go to the dark side. Or the hipster side as it were.
Any advice from MacBook Pro users on making the switch a little less painful?

Last edited:
At this point of tech, I'd say that whether Apple of 'IBM compatible' means very little. Used to, but now apps are available for either and good apps for both. So unless a fanboy of one or the other which you go with doesn't ultimately matter.

I've been a windows user from the beginning,but after going through three mid range laptops in just over a year and having iphones that never fail I've decided to go to the dark side. Or the hipster side as it were.

They're great for engineers, CAD users, and programming. It just takes a little getting use to, then you should be fine. But, IBM based computers are much easier to work on if you do computer upgrades, repairs, and general computer problem diagnostics. For the average user, both work great. Apple is superior when it comes to tech applications and programming.

You shouldn't have a problem once you get use to the minor differences.

Went to the dark side 5 years ago and bought a MacBook Pro 13" laptop.

The transition was easy and the machine has been rock solid.

The keyboard is by far the best I have ever laid my fingers on. ....... :cool:

At this point of tech, I'd say that whether Apple of 'IBM compatible' means very little. Used to, but now apps are available for either and good apps for both. So unless a fanboy of one or the other which you go with doesn't ultimately matter.

Learning you can still install windows made it a little more palatable.
And finding out that you get a clean version of windows without all the bloatware made it very attractive.
Like I said though,the main reason I'm switching is to avoid all the problems I've been having with PCs.
That and the Retina display.

And finding out that you get a clean version of windows without all the bloatware made it very attractive.
Like I said though,the main reason I'm switching is to avoid all the problems I've been having with PCs.

Dunno what problems plague modern MS OS users, but I"m still on win 98se with no issues at all. So maybe not upgrading 'because they tell ya too' is part of it.

They're great for engineers, CAD users, and programming. It just takes a little getting use to, then you should be fine. But, IBM based computers are much easier to work on if you do computer upgrades, repairs, and general computer problem diagnostics. For the average user, both work great. Apple is superior when it comes to tech applications and programming.

It's the reliability that i'm after.
I dont use my laptop for anything more than email,movies,slingbox and of course USMB.

Dunno what problems plague modern MS OS users, but I"m still on win 98se with no issues at all. So maybe not upgrading 'because they tell ya too' is part of it.
Do you have Java installed?

Modern? Hell,I just turned fifty on the seventh.

Do you have Java installed?

Oh hell no!!

One of the things that got me to make the switch was the top ten lists.
Pretty much every single one had Apple on top.
While the hardware is fine, the software isn´t. I read an article in the last weeks that someone installed Win10 on the latest MacBook and it just runs great. With an Apple OS you have limited choices regarding software.

While the hardware is fine, the software isn´t. I read an article in the last weeks that someone installed Win10 on the latest MacBook and it just runs great. With an Apple OS you have limited choices regarding software.

Like I said,I generally use my laptop as is right out of the box.
I dont need office or anything else for the most part.
It's movies and surfing the net and that's about it.

I've been building, repairing, upgrading, and installing software on computers for 20 years now. I have solved computer problems for hundreds of people over the years, and still do it today. I have people mailing me computers to fix. I also fix many from my desk via "TeamViewer". Over the years, I've found that 99% of the problems people have with their computer is nothing more than operator error, downloading programs with junk attached, not having security settings properly set, and just not knowing anything about computers except how to turn them on and off.

I'm running Windows 7 and have no problems at all. Over the years, I've used every Windows system available. I started in 1985 with a Color Computer II, and went up from there. Most problems can be corrected quickly, and once the settings are properly set, the computer junk cleaned away, and a few instructions given, most people have few, is any, problems afterwards.

It's the reliability that i'm after.
I dont use my laptop for anything more than email,movies,slingbox and of course USMB.
Then you'll be fine. You shouldn't have any problems with it.

Like I said,I generally use my laptop as is right out of the box.
I dont need office or anything else for the most part.
It's movies and surfing the net and that's about it.
Well, office no problem. But in your case I would consider a Chromebook or something, instead.

Forum List

Back