Going to give Apple a try.

Actually Zorin and PCLinuxOS are closer to, therefore more "familiar looking" with Windows users.

Hey - whose side you on?? :lol:
I say LM for the support/updates/ and massive software library...
Got Lubuntu on an old machine, trying to see if PCLinuxOs will work better on the wife's laptop than Mint lxde or Lubuntu did. Neither liked my graphics card (kinda weird) or the old Broadcomm card.

And this is why I dont like to screw around with computers..:eusa_snooty:
I can make parts for the space shuttle,help build the F22 prototype but jacking with computers is just not my thing.
If I dont find something interesting I'll never be good at it.
In most cases the main Linux versions just load and everything works, on rare occasions you run into problems, this is the first time I've ever experienced this.

Yeah? You've never had me trying to fuck withem. I'm pretty sure I'm cursed.
How do ya think I learned........ :lol:

In all seriousness, LinuxMint or Unbuntu etc. are extremely easy to install. Easier than Windows. The only thing you need a little help with is after the install to get something called restricted codecs installed. No big deal at all...just a couple steps and maybe 10-15 seconds.
Nothing stopping you from doing it on your old PC anyway...you might like it a lot.

Actually Zorin and PCLinuxOS are closer to, therefore more "familiar looking" with Windows users.

Got Lubuntu on an old machine, trying to see if PCLinuxOs will work better on the wife's laptop than Mint lxde or Lubuntu did. Neither liked my graphics card (kinda weird) or the old Broadcomm card.

I can make parts for the space shuttle,help build the F22 prototype but jacking with computers is just not my thing.
In most cases the main Linux versions just load and everything works, on rare occasions you run into problems, this is the first time I've ever experienced this.
I wondered that Parted Magic works with my wlan dongle and fully supports my phone without the need to be installed manually.

I wondered that Parted Magic works with my wlan dongle and fully supports my phone without the need to be installed manually.

You see it's phrases like "wlan dongle" that make me want to run from the room screaming!
And "Parted Magic" brings up dirty thoughts of women.

In all seriousness, LinuxMint or Unbuntu etc. are extremely easy to install. Easier than Windows. The only thing you need a little help with is after the install to get something called restricted codecs installed. No big deal at all...just a couple steps and maybe 10-15 seconds.
Nothing stopping you from doing it on your old PC anyway...you might like it a lot.
Easier? What can be easier than click a button?

You see it's phrases like "wlan dongle" that make me want to run from the room screaming!
What´s wrong with the term wlan dongle and Parted Magic?

What´s wrong with the term wlan dongle and Parted Magic?

The nerd is strong in this one...:biggrin:

You'll be happy to know I finally put Mint (15) on the old Dell, the only issue is still the old Broadcomm but that's easily fixed with a USB wifi adater.

I actually installed Linux Ubuntu. It's not as easy. It's certainly not as user-friendly as windows.

I did all that, and tried to use Mplayer. Would not play DVDs. Installed more stuff. Would not play DVDs. Wouldn't give a reason why. Click play, nothing happens.

Installed more stuff. Would not play DVD. No error. No "computer screwed up" nothing. Didn't give me a warning, a message, a beep, an anything. Just wouldn't play.

Finally, installed VLC. Required tons of download. VLC at least played the DVD. But then I couldn't get it into full screen. Then when I was in full screen, I couldn't get out of full screen. No option. No button. No pull down menu. No way that I could find to get out of full screen mode at all.

I had to alt-F4 to quit the program, and then reload VLC, to finally see the menu, and memorize that F11 was the toggle for full-screen and back.

Now I'm fine with it.... but that is NOT user-friendly. That is User-Frustrating.

There have been a number of things like that. I wish... I hope... someday Linux will be a real user-friendly alternative to Winblows. But right now, it just isn't.

Sometimes getting the simplest of things working, is a massive pain in the butt. Just dumb stuff, is really hard.

You'll be happy to know I finally put Mint (15) on the old Dell, the only issue is still the old Broadcomm but that's easily fixed with a USB wifi adater.

I had that problem too. I installed Ubuntu on a laptop, and the built in wifi would not work. Nor would the built in ethernet. So I bought a USB wifi adapter. Wouldn't you know it, out of all the wifi adapters on the face of the Earth, I bought the one that Linux does not support. I could not get that adapter to work, no matter what I did. Finally gave up. Haven't tried again since.

I had that problem too. I installed Ubuntu on a laptop, and the built in wifi would not work. Nor would the built in ethernet. So I bought a USB wifi adapter. Wouldn't you know it, out of all the wifi adapters on the face of the Earth, I bought the one that Linux does not support. I could not get that adapter to work, no matter what I did. Finally gave up. Haven't tried again since.

And this is why I'm not going to step out of the common groove.
Sounds like you know way more than I do and you still had problems. I would have thrown the MFer in the pool at that point.

It's the Broadcomm cards that are the problem, they don't play well with Linux. As with every other laptop and desktop (especially the newer machines and latest distro releases) I've loaded Mint or Ubuntu on I've never had a problem and load time took half as long as Windows. The last windows load I did was last week (Win 7), took 45 minutes just to do the load, another 1/2 hour to load the drivers and another 3 hours to load software, configure the machine and run the update. That was a 4 year old quad-core laptop with 8 GBs of RAM. I had Zorin on it from 6 months ago and that took 1/2 hour for load and configuration, another 15 minutes to load the software I wanted and run the update.

It's the Broadcomm cards that are the problem, they don't play well with Linux. As with every other laptop and desktop (especially the newer machines and latest distro releases) I've loaded Mint or Ubuntu on I've never had a problem and load time took half as long as Windows. The last windows load I did was last week (Win 7), took 45 minutes just to do the load, another 1/2 hour to load the drivers and another 3 hours to load software, configure the machine and run the update. That was a 4 year old quad-core laptop with 8 GBs of RAM. I had Zorin on it from 6 months ago and that took 1/2 hour for load and configuration, another 15 minutes to load the software I wanted and run the update.

If you'd stop speaking Klingon I might be able to get this shit.

If you'd stop speaking Klingon I might be able to get this shit.
Klingon is a war language, that's Geekinese........ :eusa_whistle:

Well,so far so good.
The retina display is everything they said it would be and it's incredibly thin.
Google Chrome works great and the connectivity to the iphone is bad ass!! And the track pad is really cool!!
Other than needing to learn the few differences in the operating system i'm very happy with it.

Although I will be embarrassed to use it in public and I might have to put some tape over the apple emblem...:biggrin:

Well,so far so good.
The retina display is everything they said it would be and it's incredibly thin.
Google Chrome works great and the connectivity to the iphone is bad ass!! And the track pad is really cool!!
Other than needing to learn the few differences in the operating system i'm very happy with it.

Although I will be embarrassed to use it in public and I might have to put some tape over the apple emblem...:biggrin:
I dress Mine up as an old RCA TV when guests come over. They'll never suspect....:booze:

Oh yeah....the battery life is amazing!!
Running Chrome it gets around 6 hours run time,double what the ASUS managed.
They say using Safari will get you 8 or 9 hours.

Really like this thing so far.

I have an advice for you, just available again, many mods support Mac OS:
Mac App Store - Command Conquer Generals Deluxe Edition

Example (modded version, Windows):
Favorite PC Game Page 66 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Mods:
Mods for Games - Mod DB

Mods:
Mods for Games - Mod DB

Looks pretty good I'll be sure and check it out.
Waiting to see Apples new music streaming with Beats.
Supposed to be available June 30.

Mods:
Mods for Games - Mod DB

Looks pretty good I'll be sure and check it out.
Waiting to see Apples new music streaming with Beats.
Supposed to be available June 30.
Heard about it when the Sony CEO peached it. Must be some really new thing that is supposed to revolutionize the music business online.

Forum List

Back