God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?

Can a believer believe in God yet not believe in his laws?
Stupid believers maybe. Amish just made up their own rules.

God has 10 Laws. Jesus added one. That is it.
What would civilization be like if we followed them? Perfect.

A study was done Great, to answer the question you posed:
A group of people were given a test that they could cheat on. And they did. The test was stopped and those being tested were asked to think about the 10 commandants for 10 minutes. The testing resumed. Not one person cheated on the remainder of the test.

What is the penalty for a child who refuses to honor her parents because the father raped her while her mother turned a blind eye. That happens in about 1 in 600 Christian families so we are talking about a lot of children not respecting their parents.

Will those girls go to hell for not following that commandment?

Regards
DL

It is clear that we cannot all agree on what, where or who God is. Thus, establishing objectively what God's 'laws' are is not possible.
Of course, 'God's laws' would be the very definition of moral.
Lacking that, the question is the morality of law. Without the objective standard of God or other, all such morality is necessarily relative. It is what humans identify/decide it to be.
For society, secular law must reign. For a believer, God's law must. The problem for the believer is that she/he must realize that belief is purely personal, an existential decision on the part of the individual and not incumbent on anyone or anything external.
Reminder: Jesus said any sin but one could be forgiven (extra points given for knowing what that one sin is!). So, breaking a law for a Christian, intentionally or by accident, is not 'mortal'.

True but if the divorce rate is an indicator as well as the contraceptive laws, then most Christians break the laws regularly and have no intention of stopping even as their churches tell them they are sinning.

That is not Christianity. It is full out hypocricy by the majority of Christians.

Right?

Regards
DL

Stupid believers maybe. Amish just made up their own rules.

God has 10 Laws. Jesus added one. That is it.
What would civilization be like if we followed them? Perfect.

A study was done Great, to answer the question you posed:
A group of people were given a test that they could cheat on. And they did. The test was stopped and those being tested were asked to think about the 10 commandants for 10 minutes. The testing resumed. Not one person cheated on the remainder of the test.

What is the penalty for a child who refuses to honor her parents because the father raped her while her mother turned a blind eye. That happens in about 1 in 600 Christian families so we are talking about a lot of children not respecting their parents.

Will those girls go to hell for not following that commandment?

Regards
DL

That would be an astonishing point, and one I would agree upon, but even I'm going to say "please provide a supporting source."

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the unforgivable sin, according to Jesus. points please. ;)
I understand your point, there4, but one can be objective when presented with any law regardless of it's origin.
Thou shalt not kill is a Jewish law. That we Christians have adopted. The same is a secular law handed down by governments. All three connected to morality. There are moral reasons for one law, in three different objectives.
If mortals are the subject of law, how can breaking the law not be mortal?

Why is one of your three talking heads more important than the other 2?

If your monotheistic God is one, then his three heads must have the same powers and knowledge etc. as the others. Or are two of them deficient in some way?

Regards
DL

you cant really be a christian in our society without living on the fringes of it and being at great risk of being prosecuted for doing so

Not too surprising as many of their punishments and stonings are uncivilized and their no divorce laws are anti-love and love is supposed to be what Jesus was selling.

Regards
DL

you cant really be a christian in our society without living on the fringes of it and being at great risk of being prosecuted for doing so

The fringes of what? Society or Christianity? My beliefs are closer to gnosticism, so I'm DEFINITELY on the fringe of both.[/QUOTE]

I am a Gnostic Christian and have no issues with secular law but I am definitely opposed to Christian beliefs. Gnostics question the God of the bible and that is definitely not allowed in Christianity so how do you see yourself on the fringe of Christianity?

Most North American Christians are also literalists while Gnostic Christians are not. How does that put you on the fringe?

Regards
DL

The US Constitution seems to coincide with what we understand as the Christian version of "God's law". Most Christians have been raised with moral values that don't conflict with the law of the land. I don't see any problem except when the radical jihadists advocate a version of 6th century skewed sharia morality.

Wow. Quite deep into denial that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2_LqOS3uo]Martin Sheen burns a hypo-christian - YouTube[/ame]

Substitutionary atonement is one of your primary tenets. Where do you see such a thing in any secular government?

Regards
DL

[

people have different ideas about what G-d's law is.

and therein lies the problem.

religious extremists always think their pov is the only pov.

No worries. The right will move to the left for the next election if they want to survive at all. This last one opened many right wing eyes to what their leadership is and they did not like the look of it.

Regards
DL

The fringes of what? Society or Christianity? My beliefs are closer to gnosticism, so I'm DEFINITELY on the fringe of both.

I am a Gnostic Christian and have no issues with secular law but I am definitely opposed to Christian beliefs. Gnostics question the God of the bible and that is definitely not allowed in Christianity so how do you see yourself on the fringe of Christianity?

Most North American Christians are also literalists while Gnostic Christians are not. How does that put you on the fringe?

Regards
DL[/QUOTE]

I think it may be a simple misunderstanding, perhaps over differing uses of the word "fringe." It's not worth the effort.

Law and morality are completely separate concepts so to muddle the two would be a mistake. The goal of the secular law isn't meant to provide a moral framework but to protect the right of those within the community.

Religious edict may seek to portray itself as a moral system but it is not. Religious law like secular law has a different purpose aside from morality. Religious law is meant to keep the followers of the faith following the authority of the doctrine while some laws that are moral in nature exist out of necessity. Is it then any surprise that the first 4 commandments or about religious observance to the doctrine?

[

I find that athiests tend to lean towards Big Government and are left leaining. I don't think this to be a coincidence. After all, we all have the inner voice demanding "justice" and the Golden Rule, but what outlet do we have for such a voice when we see those in need? For those of faith, we have outlets like church outreaches. In fact, look at any outreach around the world outside of government and what you will find is that it is dominated by those of faith. .

Yes. Like this outreach.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists as well as those who do not believe. They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief or not. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic are evil.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClUCw4&feature=PlayList&p=5123864A5243470E&index=0&playnext=1]Religulous [part 1] - YouTube[/ame]

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related]In The name Of Jesus: Child Witches (1 of 2) - YouTube[/ame]

Jesus Camp 1of 9
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBv8tv62yGM]Jesus Camp 1of 9.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Promoting death to Gays.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_BVzw&feature=related]Rachel Maddow interviews David Bahati - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
DL

God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?

Our literature is rife with criticisms of God’s laws denouncing them as immoral.
This is mostly done by non-believers and secular law makers and even many believers. The whole world has rejected the morality of God’s law.

Satan shall deceive the whole world. That is scripture.

Believers say that God’s laws are moral; yet very few believers are trying to push for adoption of God’s laws by secular governments.

If believers believed that God’s laws are moral, it follows that they would be trying to have them implemented by governments. Strangely, they do not.

No believer is living by God’s law.

If believers believe in God’s laws, should believers be living by them?

Law without punishment is impotent law.

Should believers demand that secular law use God’s punishments where those few laws are basically identical?

Regards
DL

Law is neither moral or immoral it's just a law. The application of said law is what makes it moral or immoral.

For arguements sake let's assume the bible is correct. God gave everyone free will, and the ability to choose between sinning and not sinning. God supplies the laws and let's us choose wether we want to follow them or not. God will punish those who broke his laws in the end of times. On the contrary mans law only concerns itself with maintaining law and order, right now. Punishment is also right now, not at the end of times. God's people can't wait for Gods punishment, so they lend a hand.

Believers are the greatest bunch of rationalizers ever. no challenger anywhere. They stand alone at the top of the mountain.

Yes and cannot hear those who have not been affected negatively by the altitude.
It is also hard to hear correction while having fingers in the ears and saying la la la la la.

The thing with that so called God given free will is that when put in evolving creatures who must either do good, cooperate, or do evil by creating a victim when we compete, we have no choice but to do evil and to punish us for doing what we must is immoral.

I go a bit longer on this at the link below if you would like to read further.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...help-but-do-evil-i-do-not-see-how-do-you.html

Regards
DL

I did think this obvious, but because if God existed God would, by definition of the term, be the supreme arbiter of all good, bad, evil, just and other laws, including moral. As the only truly objective standard, God would be the reference to which all would have to yield.

As it is, we have to accept that this word, moral, comes from humans as do all words and concepts and, so, is totally and can only be relative to us.

I don't see it as obvious at all. I will agree that such a being might have the power to enforce any standard it pleases, but why does that power make it moral?

YOU may want to argue with the Almighty, but it could be deleterious to your health and eternal life!

Just kidding, but for God to be God, God has to be Good itself. It comes with the job description. There is no dispute possible. What God is is good and all good comes from God.
Otherwise, it's an impostor.

If all good and everything else comes from God, and it must as he created all things, then evil must also have emanated from him. Scriptures back this up.

Being all good and all evil is not being all moral.

Morals are developed for those of a species to learn how to live with each other. God was alone and had no need or opportunity to learn this and thus cannot be moral. He would not be immoral either but amoral.

God, if you look at his first commandment, is all about himself whereas man's morals are towards others and not completely self-serving the way God's commandment is.

Our first principle is to do unto others. Not do unto ourselves the way God's is.

Regards
DL

[

That's why they began each session with prayer. :cuckoo:

Praying is one of the most selfish and self-serving thing a person can do.

It is always do for me do for me God.
Sure some will say it is also for others but forget that it is their inflated egos that make them think there is actually a creator God out there looking down on their ever so special selves.

Gimme gimme gimme gimmi gimme gimme gimmi is what prayer is all about and prayers think God will listen to such pathetic grovelling selfishness from entities that scriptures say are God's greatest achievement. Pathetic.

Strange that both Christianity and Islam recognize Jesus and he said to always pray in private they all Abrahamic cults pray in public to impress their pathetic friends.

Regards
DL

YOU may want to argue with the Almighty, but it could be deleterious to your health and eternal life!

Just kidding, but for God to be God, God has to be Good itself. It comes with the job description. There is no dispute possible. What God is is good and all good comes from God.
Otherwise, it's an impostor.

Interesting. But aren't you saying that God must therefore meet your standards or it is not God? Does that not then make you the final arbiter of morality?

May I humbly point out that you missed the 'if' clause; if God existed. It is not my claim at all. I speak only about the meaning of words. You are free to speak of God in other terms, but it could alter the original meaning of the term. We can call black yellow if we want, by why would we do that?

P.S. Until God makes an undisputed appearance, humans are the ultimate arbiter.

Jesus indicated that that is what we were to do forever and that is why he needs not return. Not that the Jesus of the Christians was ever here to begin with but the message put in his mouth still says just that. His message was to free mankind. Not slave us to religions.

I expand on that a bit at this link.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/relig...n-judge-god-i-is-you-if-you-choose-to-be.html

Regards
DL

[

That would be an astonishing point, and one I would agree upon, but even I'm going to say "please provide a supporting source."

Buddy. If I have to then you are not a moral man as moral people know what is going on in the world.

You sound like Iran's leader when he said there were no gays in his country. You are suggesting there is no family rape in Christianity.

Regards
DL

Law and morality are completely separate concepts so to muddle the two would be a mistake. The goal of the secular law isn't meant to provide a moral framework but to protect the right of those within the community.

Religious edict may seek to portray itself as a moral system but it is not. Religious law like secular law has a different purpose aside from morality. Religious law is meant to keep the followers of the faith following the authority of the doctrine while some laws that are moral in nature exist out of necessity. Is it then any surprise that the first 4 commandments or about religious observance to the doctrine?

A little semantic but I agree that religions are more concerned with staying in business than in offering policies for everyone the way secular governments try to do. They do not promote the destruction of infidels.

Regards
DL

[

Buddy. If I have to then you are not a moral man as moral people know what is going on in the world.

You sound like Iran's leader when he said there were no gays in his country. You are suggesting there is no family rape in Christianity.

Regards
DL

Wow. That was uncalled for. Anybody who makes a specific claim (i.e. 1 out of 600) is intellectually and morally obligated to support that claim. I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just wanted to know where you got your information from. Unbelievable.

God's law is moral and secular law is sometimes moral and sometimes based on God's law. It's not that hard to figure out.

Forum List

Back