God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quite ancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though he used son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did is respecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyone could be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks to his use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of the guilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckold Joseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving his responsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant to his children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems that God does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, his children, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrich themselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Even though scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desires cannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be a good father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or as more of a deadbeat dad?

Regards

DL
The Y name is not the Elokim name.
The Y name operates above the laws of nature.
Elokim operates within the laws of nature.
Misbehave and these 2 aspects of the unknown Endless One kicks in to measure how far the free willed creature can corrupt the creation until a reset is necessary.

Try English.

Regards
DL
Try learning the difference between Lord and God.

The truth doesn't care if you are impressed with it. It simply is.

He sacrificed Himself because He loves you
Jesus died on the cross in a diaper to pay for my sins, so since that bill is paid, all sinning is IRRELEVANT!!!

The bill is only paid if you bring it to Him and repent
No, he paid my sin bill, Christianity says so. It says nothing of bringing a dead guy the bill. Where did you read that?

The Bible that teaches us to follow Jesus

Jesus already died for your sins, you have no debt to pay.

That particular idea was first presented about five hundred years ago with the "Reformation". Catholic teaching relies on Apostolic teaching dating back to Christ's teachings. Jesus is clear: Repentance (turning away from sin) for the forgiveness of sins.

Let's not forget Old Testament teachings (Isaiah 43:25) - It is I, the Lord, who wipe out your offenses; your sins I remember no more. Would you have me remember, have us come to trial? This reminds us there never was any "debt to pay". Repent and forgiveness is yours--sin (and therefore debt) forgotten.
Jesus was wrong (or maybe it's just you?), he died on the cross for our sins, all the religions of the bible say so.

How would you know?
That's what the religions of the bible say, not me.

Yet you are the one making the claim.

A person or God that loves me would not ask me to do an immoral thing.

Having or accepting that another innocent person suffer for the wrongs I have done, --- so that I might escape responsibility for having done them, --- is immoral.

Do you agree?

Regards
DL

How is mercy immoral?

What mercy?

We were talking about Jesus/Yahweh having us accept the punishment of the innocent instead of the guilty.

Why did you deflect to mercy when it was not the issue at hand.

Could you not answer my simple moral question, or di your desire for your get out of hell free cause you to ignore the immorality that you plan on profiting from?

Regards
DL

Yahweh taking our sins upon Him is all about mercy. Without which, none could be forgiven

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quite ancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though he used son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did is respecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyone could be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks to his use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of the guilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckold Joseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving his responsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant to his children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems that God does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, his children, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrich themselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Even though scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desires cannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be a good father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or as more of a deadbeat dad?

Regards

DL
Fathers weren't very loving. Even my grandfather's generation didn't express much love and affection.

So when men made up god they imagined he gave tough love too.

Mine did.

Yahweh did not show tough love. He showed he was a deadbeat dad with enough hate for his son to have him needlessly murdered. That is not tough love. It is hate.

Regards
DL

You still don't get it. Yahweh is the Son

You don't believe most of what's in the bible anyways, so your opinion doesn't count. :biggrin:

The reason I believe scripture is that I've taken the time--years--to do the research. I go back in time and try to think like a middle eastern person two to six thousand years ago--not like a modern day American. Very different culture back then.

Jesus died on the cross in a diaper to pay for my sins, so since that bill is paid, all sinning is IRRELEVANT!!!

No, he paid my sin bill, Christianity says so. It says nothing of bringing a dead guy the bill. Where did you read that?

Where does it say that I should bring a dead guy my sin bill?

Jesus already died for your sins, you have no debt to pay.

That particular idea was first presented about five hundred years ago with the "Reformation". Catholic teaching relies on Apostolic teaching dating back to Christ's teachings. Jesus is clear: Repentance (turning away from sin) for the forgiveness of sins.

Let's not forget Old Testament teachings (Isaiah 43:25) - It is I, the Lord, who wipe out your offenses; your sins I remember no more. Would you have me remember, have us come to trial? This reminds us there never was any "debt to pay". Repent and forgiveness is yours--sin (and therefore debt) forgotten.
Jesus was wrong (or maybe it's just you?), he died on the cross for our sins, all the religions of the bible say so.

How would you know?
That's what the religions of the bible say, not me.

Yet you are the one making the claim.
No, religions of the bible claim that, I'm just repeating it.

You don't believe most of what's in the bible anyways, so your opinion doesn't count. :biggrin:

The reason I believe scripture is that I've taken the time--years--to do the research. I go back in time and try to think like a middle eastern person two to six thousand years ago--not like a modern day American. Very different culture back then.
They didn't have toilet paper back then, so what do you do? :lol:

I am not seeing a god as much of anything. father, mother or sadist teaser. I am good with out religion. I am at peace with reality.

No one mentioned a dead guy.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30)

No one mentioned a dead guy.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

"For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30)
You said "The bill is only paid if you bring it to Him and repent", and Jesus is dead.

Anyways, god couldn't create a human without sin and you expect me to believe that He's going to punish people because they now have sin?

Btw, your quote is irrelevant to the discussion.

Anyways, god couldn't create a human without sin and you expect me to believe that He's going to punish people because they now have sin?

Wrong angle. Let's try this: What is the purpose for teaching a gun safety class?

The purpose is not to assure people that if someone gets shot they're safe because someone will get them medical care.

When Jesus came to save us from sin, he meant just that. He came to teach us how to avoid sin so that sin doesn't damage/enslave us. Just as a gun safety class isn't meant to keep us safe after the bullets hit, neither is the crucifixion meant to keep us safe after sins hit. It is meant for us to use to avoid sin before we ever succumb to sin. Jesus taught a way of life. As a man, he lived a life of avoiding sin by being ever obedient to the will of the Father. He told us to follow him in this because he is the way, the truth, the life.

Sure, you can take modern English, and reuse English from five hundred years ago, to propose the ridiculous idea that Jesus death was mean to save us from punishment for sinning. Forget that. Jesus' death was to save us, not from punishment, but from the actual bullets of sin--when we follow in his ways.

You want saved from sin? Follow Jesus. Closely. You will live a redeemed life and one where you turn away from sin because Jesus' way, your way, is now obedience to the Father. When you fail? Repent, turn back, and all is forgiven. It will be remembered no more.

Wrong angle. Let's try this: What is the purpose for teaching a gun safety class?

The purpose is not to assure people that if someone gets shot they're safe because someone will get them medical care.

When Jesus came to save us from sin, he meant just that. He came to teach us how to avoid sin so that sin doesn't damage/enslave us. Just as a gun safety class isn't meant to keep us safe after the bullets hit, neither is the crucifixion meant to keep us safe after sins hit. It is meant for us to use to avoid sin before we ever succumb to sin. Jesus taught a way of life. As a man, he lived a life of avoiding sin by being ever obedient to the will of the Father. He told us to follow him in this because he is the way, the truth, the life.

Sure, you can take modern English, and reuse English from five hundred years ago, to propose the ridiculous idea that Jesus death was mean to save us from punishment for sinning. Forget that. Jesus' death was to save us, not from punishment, but from the actual bullets of sin--when we follow in his ways.

You want saved from sin? Follow Jesus. Closely. You will live a redeemed life and one where you turn away from sin because Jesus' way, your way, is now obedience to the Father. When you fail? Repent, turn back, and all is forgiven. It will be remembered no more.
If god didn't want us to sin, he simply had to make us without sin. He didn't, did he?

If god didn't want us to sin, he simply had to make us without sin. He didn't, did he?

It is not that hard to figure out why He did not. It is clear He did not wish a single dimension, puppet-like people. Freedom of choice and the will to overcome creates uniqueness and strength. As a person, is your preference you as you are, or would you prefer to be much more vapid?

It is not that hard to figure out why He did not. It is clear He did not wish a single dimension, puppet-like people. Freedom of choice and the will to overcome creates uniqueness and strength. As a person, is your preference you as you are, or would you prefer to be much more vapid?
He gave us freedom of choice to follow a book? And if we don't follow said book, we burn in a fire forever? That's no freedom of choice that I've ever heard of. Go back to bed. :biggrin:

He gave us freedom of choice to follow a book? And if we don't follow said book, we burn in a fire forever? That's no freedom of choice that I've ever heard of. Go back to bed. :biggrin:

I'd recommend putting down Dante's Inferno...great read, but not Biblical.

Perhaps think of the Bible as a book of recipes or instructions on how to build something. Follow the recipe and the instructions and enjoy what you have created. Or, go your own way and live with the results, good or bad.

I'd recommend putting down Dante's Inferno...great read, but not Biblical.

Perhaps think of the Bible as a book of recipes or instructions on how to build something. Follow the recipe and the instructions and enjoy what you have created. Or, go your own way and live with the results, good or bad.
Just think for a sec, if your god really existed, would it really need a book written by men to convince people of its existence?

When Jesus came to save us from sin, he meant just that. He came to teach us how to avoid sin so that sin doesn't damage/enslave us.

If sin is disobedience to the law then to avoid sin one must conform to the laws demands.

True?

To save people from sin Jesus taught and demonstrated the only right way to understand and comply with the law that leads to the promised life for obedience and freedom from the death consequent to sin.

True?

What did Jesus teach is the only right way to understand and conform to kosher law?

Just think for a sec, if your god really existed, would it really need a book written by men to convince people of its existence?

The Bible isn't about convincing people of God's existence. The parts I like best are the ones that record people's experiences of God. It is indeed possible to have an experience of God. That is why there will always be those who believe.

Forum List

Back