Go Backwards to Post 1945 ? – Sure!

Yeah...and getting pregnant out of wedlock was one of the most shameful acts you could commit.

For the woman.

They got on the man as well.

Hardly to the degree that the woman was affected.
Well lib, you are brilliant! Who would have thought a man could have a baby?

Always thought it took two....

It does,

until it comes to abortion

2. Birth Control was illegal

Yeah...and getting pregnant out of wedlock was one of the most shameful acts you could commit.

For the woman.

You're right in that women in the 1950s were publicly humiliated for getting pregnant out of wedlock but the guys were not considered to be immoral for getting them pregnant. You think this is unfair and so do I.

However, even though men were not condemned for having sex without marriage (boys will be boys), there was this thing called honor that demanded that the man marry the girl he made pregnant. I'm 77 years old and in my younger days only the most worthless piece of shit would get a woman pregnant and then abandon her and their child.

I was lucky enough to be born in a time and place where honor and self-respect were more than abstract virtues; they were the qualities that defined a man. How a man treated the women in his life and how he provided for his wife and kids told more about his character than anything else.

I love that your example of things not being perfect in 1945 is indoor smoking. :lol:
Me too. And millions of other people no longer having moron smokers' poison imposed on them.:biggrin:

Sure, it was a great time for the right people.

But there were a few drawbacks.

1) Hundreds of blacks were lynched (many were WWII veterans)

2) Birth control for women was illegal

3) Domestic abuse was considered a man's personal business

4) Child abuse was rarely reported and even more rarely prosecuted.

5) Air and water pollution was building rapidly.

6) Rural areas often had no electricity (or running water)

7) Women had few options outside of being a housewife.

8) The flu and TB were major killers.

9) Polio was crippling more than 15k children per year

10) Air conditioning was rare

11) Most people lived and died within 50 miles of where they were born (other than military service)

12) If a black person tried to vote in the south they were often stopped or worse.

13) Access to information was seriously limited for much of the nation

So spare us your view thru rose-colored glasses.

I love that your example of things not being perfect in 1945 is indoor smoking. :lol:
Me too. And millions of other people no longer having moron smokers' poison imposed on them.:biggrin:

11) Most people lived and died within 50 miles of where they were born (other than military service)

12) If a black person tried to vote in the south they were often stopped or worse.

Amazing how fast you play the race card.

Go Backwards to Post 1945 ? – Sure!

One of our illustrious liberals in USMB said I would like to return to a post 1945 America. While not everything was perfect back then (ex. smoking indoors), a lot of it was better than what progressives have heaped on us, in the present day. Some examples of the benefits of going backwards to post 1945 would be >>

1. When thousands of American flags were displayed from windows on the streets, on every national holiday.

2. When girls were girls, and boys were boys.

3. When cars ran better than the ones we have today.

4. When we had really good quality movies and TV shows (Gunsmoke, the Untouchables, the Honeymooners, Twilight Zone)

5. When stuff was manufactured in the USA (and of better quality)

6. When we weren’t in danger of our society collapsing, due to computer hacking.

7. When pro sports stars played for 1 team for 20 years, and you recognized all the players.

8. When Rock music was good stuff (Chuck Berry, Elvis, Beatles)

9. When blacks didn’t riot every time some dumb black guy caused himself to get shot.

10. When we had just showed the world (in World War II) that messing with us was a bad idea.

11. When we didn’t have hundreds of Muslim mosques poisoning our culture, and spawning terrorist attacks.

12. When we weren’t as overpopulated, air was cleaner, lakes, rivers and bays were teeming with healthy fish.

13. When hospitals treated you like a patient, instead a $ale.

14. When schools taught kids to love their country, not hate it.

15. When religion was respected, and cultivated god values.

16. When there was real science in NIH, CDC, and FDA.

17. When TV shows and political ads were truth, not fake.

18. When there was no NAFTA, TPP, et al globalist orgs.

19. When American infrastructure was sound (dams, bridges, roads, electrical grid)

20. When soldiers and police were respected, not despised.

21. When there was no racist Affirmative Action discrimination against whites.

22. When cab drivers spoke English.

23. When convicted murderers got the electric chair.

24. When colleges taught marketable skills, instead of global warming and womens’ studies.

25. When you could walk in the park at night, and didn’t have bars on your windows.

26. When foreign diseases were still foreign.

27. When we had Operation Wetback (1954)

Add more to this list, at your leisure.

Some issues with your list:

#2 - Girls were girls and expected to know their place. People were not allowed to be individuals, but expected to be just like the rest.

#3 - Cars ran better? Plenty of cars run over 200k miles. Plus they are exponentially safer than the cars of that time. Add in the comforts of a/c, better seats, and more options make them far superior. Yes, you can find example of old cars that lasted. But unsafe and uncomfortable is not something I want again.

#6 - Without computers you did not have access to the amount of info you do now, your shopping choices were severely limited, and shortages were common. No records could be accessed quickly unless you were on the spot. And criminals only had to move to a new state to start fresh.

#7 - Pro athletes made decent money but had little control over where they played and for whom. And the runs of winning lasted longer because the inferior teams could not get the better athletes, since they were tied up for their entire career.

#9 - Blacks didn't riot when they were angry about a teenage boy being lynched or because they were not allowed to vote. Why? Because they would be violently abused, if not murdered.

#13 - And hospitals sent you to the morgue for things that are now treated in walk-in clinics. The level of medical care now is far superior to anything in the late 40s and early 50s.

#15 - Only Christianity was respected. Every other faith was treated like dirt. And the Christians felt fine putting theirfaith into laws that you had to follow whether you shared their beliefs or not.

#20 - Soldiers are well respected now. With the exception of a few freaks, they are routinely thanked for their service. Cops are much the same. Except now the cops are held to task for the crimes they commit. Back then, shooting a black man was a celebration.

It is not a race card. It was the reality for blacks all over the nation, and especially in the south. I am not referring to some vague claim of discrimination. I am talking about being beaten or killed for wanting to vote. Being murdered because someone said you looked at a white woman.

Not a race card. Racial reality of the late 40s and the 1950s.

Amazing how selective your reading skills are. Out of 13 items, 2 were race related (and accurate).

...and now the make believe card....

Really? What have I said that was make believe? Please be specific.
Everything. The number one thing that take you out is that you weren't around back then.
This is why I asked you to be specific. Everything? You claim everything I said in my post is make believe?

Absolutely not. What I posted is factual.

And the fact that I was not there is not a rebuttal. They have these new things called "Books". Amazing amounts of information available to anyone. There are records you can research.

But if that is a standard you want to use, I guess you will never be involved in any discussion of the US Constitution, wars before Vietnam, or any other topic where the subject took place before you were born.

Everything. The number one thing that take you out is that you weren't around back then.

Let's look at whether they are make believe or not, shall we?

1) Hundreds of blacks were lynched (many were WWII veterans) Are you saying that hundreds of blacks were not lynched?

2) Birth control for women was illegal Are you saying birth control for women was legal?

Nah, I am not going thru them all. I think you know what I posted was true and just don't like it.

This is why I asked you to be specific. Everything? You claim everything I said in my post is make believe?

And the fact that I was not there is not a rebuttal. They have these new things called "Books". Amazing amounts of information available to anyone. There are records you can research.

But if that is a standard you want to use, I guess you will never be involved in any discussion of the US Constitution, wars before Vietnam, or any other topic where the subject took place before you were born.
Notice how the shill ignores what I said about "he wasn't around back then" and then deflects to other nonsense. Typical lib move.

Notice how the shill ignores what I said about "he wasn't around back then" and then deflects to other nonsense. Typical lib move.

Ignored what you said? lol I addressed it quite clearly. Maybe you should read the entire post?

But please, tell me which of the items I posted were "make believe"? I mean, if you want to talk about a shill ignoring what someone said, you certainly fit the bill.

Specifically, what was I posted that was "make believe"? Or does that not fit your agenda here?

3. When cars ran better than the ones we have today.

What kind of car do you drive? Todays cars are infinitely better than 1945 from the ground up....tires, brakes, suspensions, paint, reliability, safety, lights, engines, comfort, exhaust, gas mileage, pollution....

Last edited:
1945 was a great time to be a white, male, straight, Christian, WWII vet

If you weren't, life could be miserable

In YOUR rose-colored glasses, "Domestic abuse considered a man's personal business" is not still happening today ? You think ?

For your edification, it is sura/verse 4:34 in the Koran, and it is standard procedure in Muslim households (including all those nice Muslims we hear so much about).

PS - I know everything wasn't perfect in the past. I just felt like mentioning some of the good things. Chill out.

:chillpill::chillpill::chillpill::chillpill:

1945 was a great time to be a white, male, straight, Christian, WWII vet

If you weren't, life could be miserable
My mother lived through the year 1945. She was not "miserable" in one minute of it. I suspect millions of other women felt the same.

Forum List

Back