Global Warming is happening...on Mars

Excuse me while I get my boots on....the bullshit is getting deep. :rolleyes:

Agreed, looks like it's piling up pretty high over there, I don't think boots are gonna cut it, better look for a cork before you fill that room and drown!

Dude....I caught you in one of your lies.....yes, YOU lied in at least one of your posts. I won't put it on the open board. But it is YOUR bullshit....no one elses.

Present it or leave it as unsupported as all the other calfdirt running down the back of your leg.

I have no problem acknowledging any mistake, misstatement or issue if it is legitimate and verifiable. If there is an issue that needs to be addressed it is better to get at the root of the issue.

Bring it

Are you a moron....do you need proof that the sun rises everyday?
What's happened to the glaciers since the last iceage? :cuckoo:

Keep displaying your ignorance, it is doing wonders for your position!!

And you are right ranting and name-calling is so much more compelling that objective evidence and logical reasoned discourse.

poorly written popsci blurbs and the partisan rants based upon such without supporting references aren't any better than your numerous unsupported assertions here on this board.

If you are looking to actually understand the science that was misrepresented in the OP you might look at something like these:

"Global Warming on Mars" - Global Warming on Mars

Which explains the mechanisms involved in some short-term warmings and coolings in the Martian climate.

(full letter at: http://humbabe.arc.nasa.gov/~fenton/pdf/fenton/nature05718.pdf )

Or this later paper "Intense polar temperature inversion in the middle atmosphere on Mars"
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~oa/publications/mccleese_2008_ngs.pdf

Which further clarifies additional climate forcing factors and impacts in the Martian atmosphere.

Mars appears to be undergoing multiple minor episodes of weather and climate shift, both cold and warm over a period of a few Martian years (2-3 Mars years, 4-6 Earth years). Observations and measurements seem to indicate albedo shifts due to martian sand storms and cyclic mid atmosphere shifts over the poles that seem to among other things trigger intensified or reduced sandstorm production. There is no indication of any commonality between the Earth's warming over the last half century and Mars' shifts back and forth every few years between colder and hotter episodes. I am not new to these issues. I am fully aware of almost all the most common rhetorical arguments typically used by the science denier contrarians in their attempts to politicize and confuse the issue, as well as having thoroughly investigated these assertions and having found no supportive scientific basis in these arguments. If you are aware of some scientific standing and support that I have missed or not given proper evaluation, please make your case, nothing could please and releave me more than to be given a compelling, scientifically supported reason to not dread the unfolding of this coming century (or at least what little of it I may see).

Like I said you need to bone up. Try doing some of your own thinking instead of having others do it for you.

like I said, asking someone to support their assertions with solid and compelling evidences and referenced citations, is neither onerous nor unusual among adults in the serious discourse of mature discussion. That you treat it as a dreadful task, in itself, speaks to the nature of your considerations and understandings,...or rather to the lack thereof.

Has anyone ever told you that you talk funny. Geeze, nobody converses like that. I have friends that are doctors and lawyers, much more brilliant than you, and they don't carry a conversation like that. Who are you trying to impress? Get over yourself. :lol:

As those professionals evidently have a need or desire to favorably engage and interact with you, I'm sure they adjust their speech to fit your level of understandings and comfort. Personally, I could care less whether you understand me or are cognitively comfortable with my syntax. I have made zero claims or assertions of intellectual or social superiority. DO not mistake your own feelings of personal and professional inadequacy with the imaginings of other's claims of superiority.

Keep displaying your ignorance, it is doing wonders for your position!!

And you are right ranting and name-calling is so much more compelling that objective evidence and logical reasoned discourse.

poorly written popsci blurbs and the partisan rants based upon such without supporting references aren't any better than your numerous unsupported assertions here on this board.

If you are looking to actually understand the science that was misrepresented in the OP you might look at something like these:

"Global Warming on Mars" - Global Warming on Mars

Which explains the mechanisms involved in some short-term warmings and coolings in the Martian climate.

(full letter at: http://humbabe.arc.nasa.gov/~fenton/pdf/fenton/nature05718.pdf )

Or this later paper "Intense polar temperature inversion in the middle atmosphere on Mars"
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~oa/publications/mccleese_2008_ngs.pdf

Which further clarifies additional climate forcing factors and impacts in the Martian atmosphere.

Mars appears to be undergoing multiple minor episodes of weather and climate shift, both cold and warm over a period of a few Martian years (2-3 Mars years, 4-6 Earth years). Observations and measurements seem to indicate albedo shifts due to martian sand storms and cyclic mid atmosphere shifts over the poles that seem to among other things trigger intensified or reduced sandstorm production. There is no indication of any commonality between the Earth's warming over the last half century and Mars' shifts back and forth every few years between colder and hotter episodes. I am not new to these issues. I am fully aware of almost all the most common rhetorical arguments typically used by the science denier contrarians in their attempts to politicize and confuse the issue, as well as having thoroughly investigated these assertions and having found no supportive scientific basis in these arguments. If you are aware of some scientific standing and support that I have missed or not given proper evaluation, please make your case, nothing could please and releave me more than to be given a compelling, scientifically supported reason to not dread the unfolding of this coming century (or at least what little of it I may see).

like I said, asking someone to support their assertions with solid and compelling evidences and referenced citations, is neither onerous nor unusual among adults in the serious discourse of mature discussion. That you treat it as a dreadful task, in itself, speaks to the nature of your considerations and understandings,...or rather to the lack thereof.

Has anyone ever told you that you talk funny. Geeze, nobody converses like that. I have friends that are doctors and lawyers, much more brilliant than you, and they don't carry a conversation like that. Who are you trying to impress? Get over yourself. :lol:

As those professionals evidently have a need or desire to favorably engage and interact with you, I'm sure they adjust their speech to fit your level of understandings and comfort. Personally, I could care less whether you understand me or are cognitively comfortable with my syntax. I have made zero claims or assertions of intellectual or social superiority. DO not mistake your own feelings of personal and professional inadequacy with the imaginings of other's claims of superiority.

Trust me....the only time they need to communicate at that level is when they are on their clock. Not interacting on a messageboard. :lol: You are a prize, but your this board's prize. :lol:

Trust me....the only time they need to communicate at that level is when they are on their clock. Not interacting on a messageboard. :lol: You are a prize, but your this board's prize. :lol:
Door(stop) or boobie?

And can we re-gift him?

In other words, they put what they have to say to you in a form that you can understand. Not exactly something that I would brag about.

To focus more directly upon the thread's topic:

"Surface dust redistribution on Mars as observed by the Mars Global Surveyor and Viking orbiters"
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 111, E11008, doi:10.1029/2005JE002485
http://www.gps.caltech.edu/uploads/File/People/mir/Szwast_JGR2005JE002485.pdf

...Finally, we show that the apparent long-term
darkening of the southern mid and high latitudes between the Viking and MGS eras is
largely a consequence of the timing of image acquisition relative to global dust storms
and surface dust ‘‘cleaning’’ by the seasonal ice cap; it does not represent a steady
decadal-scale, secular change. In fact, following the 2001 global dust storm, in late
southern spring, the southern hemisphere was brighter in MGS than in Viking data. This
study reveals albedo to be a dynamic, climatological variable for Mars, similar to
sea-surface temperature for terrestrial meteorology and climate...

IOW, When major global dust storms happen, as they are known to do every few years, the lighter coloured dusts tend to be the last to settle out of the atmosphere creating an overall lightening of the planet's surface. As a lighter surface reflects more of the Sun's radiations we see a cooler Mars in the immediate aftermath of these storms. Between such global dust storm events the surface gradually returns to its normally darkened condition through a variety of local factors (chemical interactions, and mechanical (wind and dust-devil mostly) redistributions). These darkened features absorb more of the Sun's radiations and we see a warmer Mars. This study confirms that the evidences that led to some considerations of a "warming Mars" are due almost entirely to the fact that the early (1977) photos of Mars indicating it was extremely cold, were taken immediately after a particularly large planetary dust storm, whereas the later photos of a dark and warmer Mars used in the study proposing a warming Mars, were taken after a rather long period without any major planetary dust storms. A more comprehensive study of Martian photos over the entire period rather than merely at the very beginning and very end of the period reveals that major planetary dust storms occur on Mars every few years, and Mars' temperature rises and falls in tune with these storms and the lulls between them.

Forum List

Back