Getting To Know Mitt Romney

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Vel, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    A very informative article.
    Learning to Like Mitt
    Andrew Ferguson, reluctant Romneyite
    SEP 3, 2012, VOL. 17, NO. 47 • BY ANDREW FERGUSON

Romney once famously called himself “severely” conservative. Other adverbs fit better: culturally, personally, instinctively. He seems to have missed out on The Sixties altogether, and wanted to. As a freshman at Stanford he protested the protesters, appearing in the quad carrying signs of his own: SPEAK OUT, DON’T SIT IN! In 1968 the May riots stranded him in Paris. “The disorder appalled him,” the authors write. He left Stanford for BYU, where long hair, rock bands, and peace symbols were banned. As a young go-getter he liked to give friends copies of Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill—a Stephen Covey for the Coolidge era, sodden with moral uplift. (Even his anachronisms are anachronistic.) “There was nothing jaded about him,” a school friend tells the authors, “nothing skeptical, nothing ironic.”

At his wedding, he declined when the photographer asked him to kiss the bride: “Not for cameras,” he said. Since that day, Ann says, they haven’t had an argument; friends believe her. And their kids—we’ve all seen their kids. The authors tick off a typical week for the young family. Sunday: “church, reflection, volunteer work, family dinners.” Monday: “family night,” when the family gathered for Bible stories and skits about animals. Tuesday was for family basketball games and cookouts. Friday was date night for Mitt and Ann. Saturday was for doing chores, and so on, in a pinwheel of wholesomeness that a -post-60s ironist can only gape at, disbelieving. The Romneys present a picture of an American family that popular culture has been trying to undo since—well, since An American Family, the 1973 PBS documentary that exposed the typical household as a cauldron of resentment and infidelity.

Learning to Like Mitt | The Weekly Standard

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    Romney has been running for President for six years now..

Now we are 'getting to know him'? Really?

He's rich douchebag with a weird religion.... I'm not sure that there's much to add to that.

3. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,677
    He's the same religion as that douchebag Harry Reid.

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    Yes, he is.. what is your point?

Harry isn't running for president, and if he were, I'd be just against him for the same reason.

5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,750
    We all know him well enough already, I could not care less about his seemingly wholesome personal family life his less than wholesome public and corporate life tells me all I need to know about the man.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    The more I know about Romney, the better I like him. I didn't know that he gave the entirety of his inheritance to charity and never took a penny. Nor did I know that he closed down an entire company so the employees could look for a lost child. I didn't vote for Romney last time. Had I known some of these things I might have.

7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    Gee, these are the best things you can say about him?

That he gave away his father's money because after a lifetime of building off his father's rolodex, his quarter of his father's money he gave away. I'd have more respect for him if he let his three siblings have his shares...

George Romney didn't die until 1995. His mother Lenore didn't die until 1998. So I'm glad he didn't go off to Vegas and squander the last of their retirement money, that's something.

Okay, then we get the other story Romney apologists like to throw out there. That he closed down the Bain offices to go look for a Partners (not an employee's) daughter who stayed out too late at a party.

Oh, this Partner. Big surprise, a fellow Prominent Mormon.

Now, if he shut down his whole company to try to help find good health care for Joe Soptic's wife, that would impress me.

8. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    sounds like Obama to me :confused:

9. 8537

8537 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +729
    If he gave everything to charity how did he and Ann live during that awful period when Mitt had to sell stocks in order to pay the rent?

10. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    And probably only to you...

But nice to see you suffer from the top symptom of Obama Derangement Syndrome...

"But...but...but Obama!!!!"