Get Ready for Congress to Tell Us ...

I wonder if the companies that will go to capital hill to cry that health care will cost them too much will arrive in their tricked out company jets and if the media will even notice.

:eusa_whistle:

Many companies use jets because they are quick and convenient. To business, time is money - I know this is an alien concept to lefties cuz they don't understand the concepts of business. Seriously, this is just such a stupid remark.

I wonder if the companies that will go to capital hill to cry that health care will cost them too much will arrive in their tricked out company jets and if the media will even notice.

:eusa_whistle:

Many companies use jets because they are quick and convenient. To business, time is money - I know this is an alien concept to lefties cuz they don't understand the concepts of business. Seriously, this is just such a stupid remark.
:lol: You're so predictable.

I can't believe that people can look at what this Congress is doing and not be horrified. What right in the United States of America does Congress have to demand that CEO'S of PRIVATE companies stand before them and explain themselves. IRS audit maybe.. but CONGRESS? People better open their eyes.

Democrats threaten companies hit hard by health care bill
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
March 28, 2010
Rep. Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, has summoned some of the nation's top executives to Capitol Hill to defend their assessment that the new national health care reform law will cost their companies hundreds of millions of dollars in health insurance expenses. Waxman is also demanding that the executives give lawmakers internal company documents related to health care finances -- a move one committee Republican describes as "an attempt to intimidate and silence opponents of the Democrats' flawed health care reform legislation."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Democrats threaten companies hit hard by health care bill | Washington Examiner

Corporations are NOT private companies.

They are legally chartered entities.

Corporations are basically creatures of the state.

They exist in their present form becasue we allow them to exist.

Did you guys weep when Enron executives had to appear before Congress? Did you cry about the constitution then?

Assholes.

Did you guys weep when Enron executives had to appear before Congress? Did you cry about the constitution then?

Assholes.

Nobody is accusing these companies of bilking the public....yet.

I'm sure that's what they're gonna do though.

One thing this Congress is gonna learn is that nobody is buying their shit anymore.

Businesses aren't about to commit suicide just so those corrupt assholes tell them to. They're gonna make sure they take care of the bottom line.

What they (Congress) are doing is nothing illegal or even wrong. There is nothing wrong with asking these companies to explain their accounting changes.

It is what Congress does after these hearings that we need to watch i.e. fines, penalties, audits, imprisonment of principals etc. etc. etc.

If I understand the implications of these write downs, it will mean a hit to government tax revenues this year. If these companies take hits to their first quarter income, it is going to start this Health Care Bill off on the wrong foot as it will have already cost the government over $1.5 billion dollars ($4.5B*35%) in tax revenue and they have not even had the chance to finish smoking their cigarettes after screwing the American people.

Yeah, I know, that is small change to them and in the long run, if these write downs are allowed, Congress won't even attribute the hit in tax revenues to the Health Care raping of America, but it sure is not going to please them that these companies don't just fall in line with Congress and don't accept that Congress knows what is best for America.

Immie

Note: an estimate in a prior posts stated the estimated figure was $4.5 billion. If A.T.&T is taking a Billion itself, I have to think that the figure is going to be a lot higher then $4.5 billion. A.T & T is only one large company. What about all the others?

I can't believe that people can look at what this Congress is doing and not be horrified. What right in the United States of America does Congress have to demand that CEO'S of PRIVATE companies stand before them and explain themselves. IRS audit maybe.. but CONGRESS? People better open their eyes.

March 28, 2010
Rep. Henry Waxman, chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, has summoned some of the nation's top executives to Capitol Hill to defend their assessment that the new national health care reform law will cost their companies hundreds of millions of dollars in health insurance expenses. Waxman is also demanding that the executives give lawmakers internal company documents related to health care finances -- a move one committee Republican describes as "an attempt to intimidate and silence opponents of the Democrats' flawed health care reform legislation."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Democrats threaten companies hit hard by health care bill | Washington Examiner

SCOTUS rulings have shown that corporations are afforded the same rights under the Constitution as natural persons.

What they (Congress) are doing is nothing illegal or even wrong. There is nothing wrong with asking these companies to explain their accounting changes.

It is what Congress does after these hearings that we need to watch i.e. fines, penalties, audits, imprisonment of principals etc. etc. etc.

If I understand the implications of these write downs, it will mean a hit to government tax revenues this year. If these companies take hits to their first quarter income, it is going to start this Health Care Bill off on the wrong foot as it will have already cost the government over $1.5 billion dollars ($4.5B*35%) in tax revenue and they have not even had the chance to finish smoking their cigarettes after screwing the American people.

Yeah, I know, that is small change to them and in the long run, if these write downs are allowed, Congress won't even attribute the hit in tax revenues to the Health Care raping of America, but it sure is not going to please them that these companies don't just fall in line with Congress and don't accept that Congress knows what is best for America.

Immie

Note: an estimate in a prior posts stated the estimated figure was $4.5 billion. If A.T.&T is taking a Billion itself, I have to think that the figure is going to be a lot higher then $4.5 billion. A.T & T is only one large company. What about all the others?
Yes, there is something wrong with a demand to testify about their following accounting regulations that just happen to put a new bill in a bad light. It is an abuse of power and a fishing expedition.

I agree that it is more important to see what happens afterward. THAT is exactly why
awareness of the potential for more abuse is important at this juncture.

Keep this in the limelight and Waxman and other libs may just tread lightly on the Constitution.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone find it shocking that taxpayers are giving AT&T 1 billion in corporate welfare and then they get to turn around and write that off as an EXPENSE?

It's quite possible that Waxman knows they are lying about the amount and that is why he wants to see their bookkeeping.

Doesn't anyone find it shocking that taxpayers are giving AT&T 1 billion in corporate welfare and then they get to turn around and write that off as an EXPENSE?

It's quite possible that Waxman knows they are lying about the amount and that is why he wants to see their bookkeeping.
Probable cause is lost on you. And, unless the corporations are 'lying' in financial statements, there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING illegal about corporations telling the press that this bill will cost them prohibitive amounts.

Probable cause is lost on you. And, unless the corporations are 'lying' in financial statements, there is nothing, absolutely NOTHING illegal about corporations telling the press that this bill will cost them prohibitive amounts.
Probable cause would be knowing exactly how much we give in subsidies to AT&T. If it isn't 1 billion they should have no problem proving that.

Hence the hearing.

But good for you that you support this type of corporate welfare.

:thup:

Probable cause would be knowing exactly how much we give in subsidies to AT&T. If it isn't 1 billion they should have no problem proving that.

Hence the hearing.

But good for you that you support this type of corporate welfare.

:thup:
And that is NOT the reason for Waxman's demand. Read the article.

You keep trying to spin this, but the facts trip you up every time. Keep digging for a Kos and HuffPo talking point that will actually work.

Last edited:

March 28, 2010

SCOTUS rulings have shown that corporations are afforded the same rights under the Constitution as natural persons.

Yes, I know.

A terrible mistake, in my opinion.

However they are NOT people, and there's canon of CORPORATE LAW specifically designed to address what these legal entities can and cannot do.

So while they may have similar rights to citizens, they are NOT citizens with rights.

They are legal entities with duties and obligations which no citizen has.

Yes, I know.

A terrible mistake, in my opinion.

However they are NOT people, and there's canon of CORPORATE LAW specifically designed to address what these legal entities can and cannot do.

So while they may have similar rights to citizens, they are NOT citizens with rights.

They are legal entities with duties and obligations which no citizen has.
And they have the Constitutional right to protection under the 4th Amendment.

I felt exactly the same way I did as kid when slobbering, rabid, Old Yeller was put down.

Forum List

Back