Gerrymandering in WI now going to Supreme Court

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
This is big time, the same thing happened here in Mi . More proof the wrong person won the election.
I doubt the polls were wrong, they didn't take into account gerrymandering and the extent of it.

Law

Wisconsin Republicans' Gerrymander Takes Politics Too Far

clip_image002.png

Noah Feldman is a Bloomberg View columnist. He is a professor of constitutional and international law at Harvard University and was a clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter. His books include “Cool War: The Future of Global Competition” and “Divided by God: America’s Church-State Problem -- and What We Should Do About It.”
Read More.

Nov 22, 2016 12:40 PM EST

Snip

Almost three-quarters of state legislatures are in Republican hands, which demonstrates how dangerous partisan gerrymandering is to the continued viability of two-party democracy. Partisan gerrymandering entrenches small advantages and makes them big. Because state legislatures set federal congressional districts, this is a part of the reason the U.S. House is so heavily Republican.

With the political branches of government in Republican hands, any reform must come from the courts. The Wisconsin case may become the most important judicial decision of our political era.

Last edited:
This is big time, the same thing happened here in Mi . More proof the wrong person won the election.
I doubt the polls were wrong, they didn't take into account gerrymandering and the extent of it.

Law

clip_image002.png

Noah Feldman is a Bloomberg View columnist. He is a professor of constitutional and international law at Harvard University and was a clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter. His books include “Cool War: The Future of Global Competition” and “Divided by God: America’s Church-State Problem -- and What We Should Do About It.”
Read More.

Snip

Almost three-quarters of state legislatures are in Republican hands, which demonstrates how dangerous partisan gerrymandering is to the continued viability of two-party democracy. Partisan gerrymandering entrenches small advantages and makes them big. Because state legislatures set federal congressional districts, this is a part of the reason the U.S. House is so heavily Republican.

With the political branches of government in Republican hands, any reform must come from the courts. The Wisconsin case may become the most important judicial decision of our political era.

Explain how a State wide election was swayed by local gerry mandering?

Once again, how does gerrymandering sway a national election?

Take Mi for example: one can do by partisan or racial divide. To get a better understanding read the whole
article. Every 10 years a census is taken to see population of a state, an a change in population changes the electoral college points. Due to changes in pop , congressional lines are changed.
All it takes is a few votes for the pop. vote to be null and void.

Gerrymandering in Michigan, explained | Capital News Service

And well you know how much Mi was in play this time, along with WI and NC. Mi and those state, do not divide the Electoral College points, as far as I know only 2 states do. So if a state has 20 Electoral College points and 11 of them go Dem , the Dems get all 20. They say MI EC goes by the maj vote , but it really doesn't.

it wasn't. Such a program is UNTENABLE

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Explain how a State wide election was swayed by local gerry mandering?

Take Mi for example: one can do by partisan or racial divide. To get a better understanding read the whole
article. Every 10 years a census is taken to see population of a state, an a change in population changes the electoral college points. Due to changes in pop , congressional lines are changed.

And well you know how much Mi was in play this time, along with WI and NC. Mi and those state, do not divide the Electoral College points, as far as I know only 2 states do. So if a state has 20 Electoral College points and 11 of them go Dem , the Dems get all 20. They say MI EC goes by the maj vote , but it really doesn't.
Once again retard how does a statewide election get effected by local districts?

Once again retard how does a statewide election get effected by local districts?

statewide? well---the whole state may have gone to the Polls----so that the TOWNS could elect their mayors--------for such an event----gerrymandering can work

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Penelope, sweet dear, perhaps you should put on some leggings and go to the mall. You don't understand what gerrymandering does, but I'll bet you can find a great deal on sweaters at Nordstroms.

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Penelope, sweet dear, perhaps you should put on some leggings and go to the mall. You don't understand what gerrymandering does, but I'll bet you can find a great deal on sweaters at Nordstroms.

I LOVE NORDSTROMS SWEATERS!!!!!! -----
will they mind that I voted for Trump?

give up-----parrots do not analyze----they got bird-brains

That makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter what district the votes come from, those votes are still counted in the total for that state.

That makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter what district the votes come from, those votes are still counted in the total for that state.

Gerrymandering does help in local elections-----the concept is not easy-----one needs a forebrain-----not a parrot bird brain

Gerrymandering does help in local elections-----the concept is not easy-----one needs a forebrain-----not a parrot bird brain
Except you claimed that gerrymandering affected the presidential election. Use that forebrain of yours and tell us how.

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Actually, Gerrymandering does not apply to national voting. By all but 2 States, it's by popular vote and "Winner Take All". Proportional States are Maine and, not sure, but I believe the other is Oklahoma, where the EC votes are divided by percentages of votes each candidate.received in the POPULAR VOTE. Example: Candidate 1 gets 60% of the vote, they get 60% of the Electoral College votes. Candidate 2 then gets the other 40%.

In local elections Gerrymandering does matter because votes are counted by the number of.individual districts won by a particular candidate. Let's say districts A has a population of 10,000 with 4,000 Democrats, and District B has a population of 20,000. with 9,000 Democrats. The idea is to capture those Democrats while getting the Republicans into a different District by adjusting District boundaries..That's what Gerrymandering does and why a particular party tries to adjust district sizes so there are more people of their political ideology than the other party has. While this practice is done by both party's, the Democrats are better known for it.

Penelope dear, I think you need to go to your local college/university and take a class in American Government. I did and aced it with straight A's.

Last edited:

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Actually, Gerrymandering does not apply to national voting. All but 2 States, it's but popular vote and "Winner Take All". Proportional States are Maine and, not sure, but I believe the other is Oklahoma.

Penelope dear, I think you need to go to your local college/university and take a class in American Government. I did and aced it with straight A's.

No I don't think so. The politicians pick the EC in my state and redraw the lines. How could they call the EC for Trump long before all the votes were counted?

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Actually, Gerrymandering does not apply to national voting. All but 2 States, it's but popular vote and "Winner Take All". Proportional States are Maine and, not sure, but I believe the other is Oklahoma.

No I don't think so. The politicians pick the EC in my state and redraw the lines. How could they call the EC for Trump long before all the votes were counted?
Exit polling and trends.

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

Exit polling and trends.

One of our electors is a young republicans and went with one of Trumps son all over the state.

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

My bad. I took too much time thinking and going thru my textbooks than typing while trying to edit my comment. So here is the proper, and accurate, explanation of Gerrymandering.

Actually, Gerrymandering does not apply to Presidential elections. In all but 2 States, it's by popular vote and they’re "Winner Take All", districts don’t matter. Those 2 States are “proportional”. They are Maine and, I’m not sure but believe, the other is Oklahoma, where the EC votes are divided by percentages of votes each candidate received in the statewide POPULAR VOTE. Example: Candidate 1 gets 60% of the vote, they get 60% of the Electoral College votes, Candidate 2, then, gets the other 40%.

In local elections, (US House and Senate, primarily), Gerrymandering does matter. Let's say a district usually votes Republican and the Democrats want it. The Census says there are more Democrats in an area of a district, and more Democrats in another area of a different District in close proximity. Ideally, the object is to adjust boundaries so as to have more Democrats in the District while moving Republicans to one, or more, different districts with large majority's of Democrat voters in order to dilute the Republican vote. That's what Gerrymandering does, it adjusts district boundaries so that there are more people in a district of their political ideology than the other party has. While this is a practice of both parties, the Democrats are better known for it.

Penelope dear, I think you need to go to your local college/university and take a class in American Government. I did. Thankfully I had a center-right professor.

Last edited:

Law

clip_image002.png

Read More.

Snip

By counting the votes cast, the number of probable votes and the number of outstanding votes remaining. If a candidate is leading by 6% of 900,000 votes with 97% of the votes counted, mathematically they will win the election. See Bush v Gore. Florida was called for Gore with too many votes outstanding. That's why, currently, races aren't called until well into the vote counting unless their lead is well into double digits. If a candidate is leading by 30 points, even with only 40% of the votes counted, it's mathematically impossible for the other person to win. They take into account the historical voting of the State, the population of the State, the voting trends in nearby States, known voting records of cites and counties and, as I said before, percentages of the lead. Those are not the only indicators, but they are examples of the process.

That's why they hire people a lot smarter than you or I for the prognostication.

Forum List

Back