Gerrymandering in WI now going to Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Election Forums' started by Penelope, Nov 23, 2016.

1. S.J.

S.J. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,307
    That makes absolutely no sense. It doesn't matter what district the votes come from, those votes are still counted in the total for that state.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,979
    Gerrymandering does help in local elections-----the concept is not easy-----one needs a forebrain-----not a parrot bird brain

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,436
    Actually the worst cases of gerrymandered districts are black districts established at the behest of democrats and the US Government.

4. S.J.

S.J. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,307
    Except you claimed that gerrymandering affected the presidential election. Use that forebrain of yours and tell us how.

5. Derelict_Drvr

Derelict_Drvr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,032

Actually, Gerrymandering does not apply to national voting. By all but 2 States, it's by popular vote and "Winner Take All". Proportional States are Maine and, not sure, but I believe the other is Oklahoma, where the EC votes are divided by percentages of votes each candidate.received in the POPULAR VOTE. Example: Candidate 1 gets 60% of the vote, they get 60% of the Electoral College votes. Candidate 2 then gets the other 40%.

In local elections Gerrymandering does matter because votes are counted by the number of.individual districts won by a particular candidate. Let's say districts A has a population of 10,000 with 4,000 Democrats, and District B has a population of 20,000. with 9,000 Democrats. The idea is to capture those Democrats while getting the Republicans into a different District by adjusting District boundaries..That's what Gerrymandering does and why a particular party tries to adjust district sizes so there are more people of their political ideology than the other party has. While this practice is done by both party's, the Democrats are better known for it.

Penelope dear, I think you need to go to your local college/university and take a class in American Government. I did and aced it with straight A's.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  6. Penelope

Penelope Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,364

No I don't think so. The politicians pick the EC in my state and redraw the lines. How could they call the EC for Trump long before all the votes were counted?

7. S.J.

S.J. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,307
    Exit polling and trends.

8. Penelope

Penelope Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,364
    One of our electors is a young republicans and went with one of Trumps son all over the state.

9. Derelict_Drvr

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,032

My bad. I took too much time thinking and going thru my textbooks than typing while trying to edit my comment. So here is the proper, and accurate, explanation of Gerrymandering.

Actually, Gerrymandering does not apply to Presidential elections. In all but 2 States, it's by popular vote and they’re "Winner Take All", districts don’t matter. Those 2 States are “proportional”. They are Maine and, I’m not sure but believe, the other is Oklahoma, where the EC votes are divided by percentages of votes each candidate received in the statewide POPULAR VOTE. Example: Candidate 1 gets 60% of the vote, they get 60% of the Electoral College votes, Candidate 2, then, gets the other 40%.

In local elections, (US House and Senate, primarily), Gerrymandering does matter. Let's say a district usually votes Republican and the Democrats want it. The Census says there are more Democrats in an area of a district, and more Democrats in another area of a different District in close proximity. Ideally, the object is to adjust boundaries so as to have more Democrats in the District while moving Republicans to one, or more, different districts with large majority's of Democrat voters in order to dilute the Republican vote. That's what Gerrymandering does, it adjusts district boundaries so that there are more people in a district of their political ideology than the other party has. While this is a practice of both parties, the Democrats are better known for it.

Penelope dear, I think you need to go to your local college/university and take a class in American Government. I did. Thankfully I had a center-right professor.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  10. Derelict_Drvr

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,032

By counting the votes cast, the number of probable votes and the number of outstanding votes remaining. If a candidate is leading by 6% of 900,000 votes with 97% of the votes counted, mathematically they will win the election. See Bush v Gore. Florida was called for Gore with too many votes outstanding. That's why, currently, races aren't called until well into the vote counting unless their lead is well into double digits. If a candidate is leading by 30 points, even with only 40% of the votes counted, it's mathematically impossible for the other person to win. They take into account the historical voting of the State, the population of the State, the voting trends in nearby States, known voting records of cites and counties and, as I said before, percentages of the lead. Those are not the only indicators, but they are examples of the process.

That's why they hire people a lot smarter than you or I for the prognostication.