German Weather Service finds 0.9C difference between old and new thermometers

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
That bulletin was about the results of his eight and a half year study where he compared in a side-by-side test the former glass mercury thermometers with the newer electronic thermometers, which were installed during the 1980s and 1990s by Germany’s DWD German Weather Service. - See more at: NoTricksZone Not here to worship what is known but to question it 8211 Jacob Bronowski. Climate news from Germany in English 8211 by Pierre L. Gosselin

Hager_1.png

hmmmm.....the new thermometers were phased in the 80's and 90's, I wonder if it shows in the temperature history? maybe.

Kowatsch_4.gif

this little story from Germany brings a few questions to mind. why did it take so long for it to come out? the data is seven years old. perhaps more importantly the author is 73 years old, hahahahaha.

NOAA has a similar experiment going on. the preliminary results came out a few years ago and they seemed at odds with official predictions for methodologies, especially UHI. what happened to that experiment? and why can't I find it on google anymore?

I would like to see the long term comparisons of old and new thermometers and methodologies for US data, wouldnt you?

How'd you fare that line in that second graph Ian? With electrical tape?

So, there's been no global warming. It's all been a hoax by climate scientists. Now we know how they got away with it. By installing new thermometers that they (but no one else) knew would read higher, they made even the rare HONEST climate scientist believe that temperatures were rising. The grant money and the Mercedes and BMWs kept rolling in. Yup. Fact.

hahahahaha. no, I believe there has been global warming. I used to think it was about 0.5C for the 20th century with 0.2C in fabricated adjustments. now I think it is about 0.5C since the start of the 20th century plus whatever amount of fabricated adjustments it takes to get to the amount of warming they say has happened (today, because tomorrow will be higher).

what do you think about the german study? it is only one station after all. mind you, the american adjustments are very strongly set by one station, Fort Collins.

of course Quayle used 400+ stations of variable type in the 80's to get a background on the size and shape of the differences when going from LIG to MMTS. you know what I found really interesting but a bit confusing at the same time? Quayle's 400+ widely dispersed stations found a cooling trend for the US during the 80's. hahahaha, good thing we know how to fix temperatures now huh? now the 80's are nice and toasty.

That's why real scientists use anomalies rather than raw temperature!
DUH!

DUH!
???

It was in anomalies. What made you think it wasn't? It would have to be gridded and weighted to give an absolute temp.
Obviously you, of course, don't know what an anomaly is!!!

From your link, 10.3C = 50.54F, are you really stupid enough to think 50F is an anomaly?:

Next Kowatsch provided a chart showing Germany’s mean annual temperature for period 0f 2000 to present

Kowatsch_3.gif

[
DUH!
???

It was in anomalies. What made you think it wasn't? It would have to be gridded and weighted to give an absolute temp.

From your link, 10.3C = 50.54F, are you really stupid enough to think 50F is an anomaly?:

Next Kowatsch provided a chart showing Germany’s mean annual temperature for period 0f 2000 to present

Kowatsch_3.gif

Nice to see this is consistent with the 18 year pause.

[
DUH!
???

Kowatsch_3.gif

Temps the last 18 years are higher than any previous 18 year period since direct instrument measurement. That pause?

[
DUH!
???

Kowatsch_3.gif

Temps the last 18 years are higher than any previous 18 year period since direct instrument measurement. That pause?
I think you should blink a coupe of times and then relook at the graph you posted one more time. Careful now, you don't want to hurt yourself.

[
DUH!
???

Kowatsch_3.gif

Ed, are you a moron who even read the graph you posted?????????????????????

DUH!
???

Kowatsch_3.gif

I'm sorry, I thought you were responding to my comment directly above yours. I had moved on to other papers and thoughts. Of course you were talking about the OP. I should have given more thought to what you said.my only feeble excuse is that I was busy and much more interested in the information I had found dealing with the US.

Quayle 1991 describes the change over from liquid in glass to automated thermometers. Interesting in itself but I found the temperature graph (in anomalies) unusual. 300+ widely dispersed stations even if they are not technically processed to give a country wide picture should still be pretty accurate. The fact that they show a cooling trend for the 80's (circa 1991) while recent graphs show a warming trend for the 80's just gives me more reason to wonder if the claimed trends in many areas or countries are almost completely an artifact of adjustments. I am no statistician but it seems like every time I look up old data it contradicts what we are being told today.

That bulletin was about the results of his eight and a half year study where he compared in a side-by-side test the former glass mercury thermometers with the newer electronic thermometers, which were installed during the 1980s and 1990s by Germany’s DWD German Weather Service. - See more at: NoTricksZone Not here to worship what is known but to question it 8211 Jacob Bronowski. Climate news from Germany in English 8211 by Pierre L. Gosselin

Hager_1.png

hmmmm.....the new thermometers were phased in the 80's and 90's, I wonder if it shows in the temperature history? maybe.

Kowatsch_4.gif

this little story from Germany brings a few questions to mind. why did it take so long for it to come out? the data is seven years old. perhaps more importantly the author is 73 years old, hahahahaha.

NOAA has a similar experiment going on. the preliminary results came out a few years ago and they seemed at odds with official predictions for methodologies, especially UHI. what happened to that experiment? and why can't I find it on google anymore?

I would like to see the long term comparisons of old and new thermometers and methodologies for US data, wouldnt you?

The graph of German temps seems to be a match to the German Wikipedia graph. While the added trend lines can be disputed depending on your opinion of what should be shown, they certainly make a case for the change over automated thermometers being at least a partial reason for large jump going into the new millennium.

[
DUH!
???

Kowatsch_3.gif

I think you should blink a coupe of times and then relook at the graph you posted one more time. Careful now, you don't want to hurt yourself.
FYI, the graph is not global, and not a graph of anomalies but of raw temp readings. Raw temp readings are affected by the accuracy of the thermometer used and are therefore unreliable, which is why deniers insist on using raw data. Anomalies provide accurate trend data even with inaccurate raw thermometer readings, which is why real scientists use only anomalies and deniers avoid anomalies like the plague!

Good thing all the pre1970s data wasn't corrected for anomalies, we'd be on fire by now. What sort of jackasses find it more necessary to correct better measuring equipment as time goes forward?

[
???

Kowatsch_3.gif

FYI, the graph is not global, and not a graph of anomalies but of raw temp readings. Raw temp readings are affected by the accuracy of the thermometer used and are therefore unreliable, which is why deniers insist on using raw data. Anomalies provide accurate trend data even with inaccurate raw thermometer readings, which is why real scientists use only anomalies and deniers avoid anomalies like the plague!
The fact is the data is manufactured and is not actual raw temps. Anomalies are just a variance from a benchmarked number. that too is adjusted. So, again, the data is inaccurate and will be for a very long time until the earth still isn't glowing like the sun like all the sky is falling freaks believe.

Hey, why is it important to have an average global temperature? Got a reason for that?

[

Kowatsch_3.gif

The fact is the data is manufactured and is not actual raw temps. Anomalies are just a variance from a benchmarked number. that too is adjusted. So, again, the data is inaccurate and will be for a very long time until the earth still isn't glowing like the sun like all the sky is falling freaks believe.

Hey, why is it important to have an average global temperature? Got a reason for that?
Wrong, as usual. An anomaly is a variance from the 30 year average for that particular measuring device and that device only. So if the raw temp for that device is off by 10 degrees, the average will be off by the same 10 degrees, but the anomaly will be accurate because it is measured against the average and therefore does not need adjustment, it is self adjusting!!!!

Good thing all the pre1970s data wasn't corrected for anomalies, we'd be on fire by now. What sort of jackasses find it more necessary to correct better measuring equipment as time goes forward?
Because no matter how accurate the measuring device, they all vary from one to another. So in order to use data from multiple devices, a system is needed to provide accurate data for comparison. That system is anomalies. It is impossible to calibrate all the thermometers around the globe to one standard, so anomalies are used to calibrate each thermometer to itself. Anomalies do not give raw temperatures, but instead give the trend, up or down, for that particular device in that particular location.

anomalies are useful when you are gridding and weighting combinations of station data for regional, country-wide, etc type of areas. if you look at any one particular station you get absolute temps. comparing two side-by-side thermometers does not need to be shown as anomalies. I looked for temperature graphs of Germany and they all were given as absolute numbers and the ones given by the DWD were quite consistent.

I decided to look at Berlin by GISS. I could only find one GISS graph on google and unfortunately it was from just before Christmas2014. I looked at today's version anyways. imagine my surprise when even less than a month makes for noticeable differences! oddly, this time it seemed like the changes mostly warmed the past a little. being the suspicious fellow that I am, I cannot help but wonder if they were trying to eke out that last little bit in Dec for the 'record' and are now giving it back. I have looked at dozens of these comparisons and this might be the first time the adjustments went 'the other way'. to be fair I have seen some that were no change before.
b_thumb.gif

that was dec14, this is jan15
station.gif

it looks like pre-1960 has about 0.1C added back in the recent version. I wish there was an easy way to save GISS graphs. they disappear after a few days

Forum List

Back