George Takei: Clarence Thomas Is A 'Clown In Blackface'

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

I owe an apology. On the eve of this Independence Day, I have a renewed sense of what this country stands for, and how I personally could help achieve it. The promise of equality and freedom is one that all of us have to work for, at all times. I know this as a survivor of the Japanese American internment, which each day drives me only to strive harder to help fulfill that promise for future generations.

I recently was asked by a reporter about Justice Clarence Thomas’s dissent in the marriage equality cases, in which he wrote words that really got under my skin, by suggesting that the government cannot take away human dignity through slavery, or though internment. In my mind that suggested that this meant he felt the government therefore shouldn’t be held accountable, or should do nothing in the face of gross violations of dignity. When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a “clown in blackface” to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage. This was not intended to be racist, but rather to evoke a history of racism in the theatrical arts. While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered.

I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set-us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.

I often ask fans to keep the level of discourse on this page and in comments high, and to remember that we all love this country and for what it stands for, even if we often disagree passionately about how to achieve those goals. I did not live up to my own high standards in this instance.

I hope all of you have a wonderful, safe and joyously free July 4t, the first where all married couples in the U.S. can enjoy the full liberties of matrimony equally. It is truly a blessing to be an American today.

First of all Mr. Takei, you're an idiot. Justice Thomas did not say what your idiotic mind thinks he said, that's the problem here. He didn't say slavery and internment were dignified. He is making the argument that humans have dignity as humans and it can't be taken by man. Sir, do you not believe your parents had dignity?

Save your platitude bullshit, you don't love this country. In fact, you loathe more than half of this country who disagree with you on same sex marriage and you seek ways to attack and denigrate them for what they believe and stand for. You got heat because your abject bigotry slipped out whilst running your stupid mouth about something you were incapable of understanding. Now you're having to issue a public apology because deep down, you're a whore. You'll only stand on your principles as long as it doesn't effect your income.

Mr. Takei's parents should have taught him what my parents taught me: Dignity does not come from your circumstances. It comes from how you deal with your circumstances.

Mr. Takei has demonstrated clearly in the circumstances of the Supreme Court's decision that he has very little dignity at all.

I'm pretty sure if Thomas referred to this twinkle toes as a Nip fudge packer we'd be hearing a lot of lefty heads exploding.

Pffft. If a conservative actor - say, Rob Lowe or Gary Oldman or Clint Eastwood - referred to President Obama as "a clown in blackface", you'd see leftists calling for them to be strung up by their toenails in front of Graumann's Chinese Theater.

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

I owe an apology. On the eve of this Independence Day, I have a renewed sense of what this country stands for, and how I personally could help achieve it. The promise of equality and freedom is one that all of us have to work for, at all times. I know this as a survivor of the Japanese American internment, which each day drives me only to strive harder to help fulfill that promise for future generations.

I recently was asked by a reporter about Justice Clarence Thomas’s dissent in the marriage equality cases, in which he wrote words that really got under my skin, by suggesting that the government cannot take away human dignity through slavery, or though internment. In my mind that suggested that this meant he felt the government therefore shouldn’t be held accountable, or should do nothing in the face of gross violations of dignity. When asked by a reporter about the opinion, I was still seething, and I referred to him as a “clown in blackface” to suggest that he had abdicated and abandoned his heritage. This was not intended to be racist, but rather to evoke a history of racism in the theatrical arts. While I continue to vehemently disagree with Justice Thomas, the words I chose, said in the heat of anger, were not carefully considered.

I am reminded, especially on this July 4th holiday, that though we have the freedom to speak our minds, we must use that freedom judiciously. Each of us, as humans, have hot-button topics that can set-us off, and Justice Thomas had hit mine, that is clear. But my choice of words was regrettable, not because I do not believe Justice Thomas is deeply wrong, but because they were ad hominem and uncivil, and for that I am sorry.

I often ask fans to keep the level of discourse on this page and in comments high, and to remember that we all love this country and for what it stands for, even if we often disagree passionately about how to achieve those goals. I did not live up to my own high standards in this instance.

I hope all of you have a wonderful, safe and joyously free July 4t, the first where all married couples in the U.S. can enjoy the full liberties of matrimony equally. It is truly a blessing to be an American today.

First of all Mr. Takei, you're an idiot. Justice Thomas did not say what your idiotic mind thinks he said, that's the problem here. He didn't say slavery and internment were dignified. He is making the argument that humans have dignity as humans and it can't be taken by man. Sir, do you not believe your parents had dignity?

Save your platitude bullshit, you don't love this country. In fact, you loathe more than half of this country who disagree with you on same sex marriage and you seek ways to attack and denigrate them for what they believe and stand for. You got heat because your abject bigotry slipped out whilst running your stupid mouth about something you were incapable of understanding. Now you're having to issue a public apology because deep down, you're a whore. You'll only stand on your principles as long as it doesn't effect your income.

Mr. Takei's parents should have taught him what my parents taught me: Dignity does not come from your circumstances. It comes from how you deal with your circumstances.

Mr. Takei has demonstrated clearly in the circumstances of the Supreme Court's decision that he has very little dignity at all.

Indeed. Georgy BOY learned nothing from his parents and REMAINS a radical INTOLERANT jackass. But then his hypocrisy will be denied by himself and the left that remain intolerant.

n-CLARENCE-THOMAS-GEORGE-TAKEI-large300.jpg

George Takei has come under fire this week for calling Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas a “clown in blackface” over the judge's stance on marriage equality. However, the “Star Trek” actor insists that his comment was not racially motivated.

During an interview with Fox 10 Phoenix, Takei, who is gay, discussed the Supreme Court’s recent landmark ruling to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide. Takei said he was “angry” at Thomas, who dissented to the decision, for his position on the issue.

“He is a clown in blackface sitting on the Supreme Court,” said Takei. “He gets me that angry. He doesn’t belong there.”

More: George Takei Calls Justice Clarence Thomas A Clown In Blackface Over Marriage Equality Dissent

Thomas is a disgrace. Anita Hill tried to warn us.

Screw you redskin.

Yet another, "tolerant" racist chimes in.

Really....you, who does not think that Clarence Thomas should be on the Supreme Court because he is black are not a racist?

Dear, they don't have a problem with a black being on the Supreme Court. They have a problem with a black being conservative. Damn darkie wandered away from the plantation, dontcha know?

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

While I appreciate the - barely minimum - effort FINALLY made to behave like a civilized, mature human being on Mr. Takei's part, I note that he is STILL refusing to own up to the racist nature of his remark and deflect from it. Therefore, I still find his apology less than adequate, and will continue to do so until it it completely honest and says, "My choice of words was regrettable because they were ad hominem, uncivil, AND RACIST." (emphasis mine)

There's no way in Hell that the left would let a conservative get away with a half-complete mea culpa like this. They would insist on extensive breast-beating and self-flagellation on the offender's part, so Mr. Takei can at least own up to the entirety of what he did.

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

While I appreciate the - barely minimum - effort FINALLY made to behave like a civilized, mature human being on Mr. Takei's part, I note that he is STILL refusing to own up to the racist nature of his remark and deflect from it. Therefore, I still find his apology less than adequate, and will continue to do so until it it completely honest and says, "My choice of words was regrettable because they were ad hominem, uncivil, AND RACIST." (emphasis mine)

There's no way in Hell that the left would let a conservative get away with a half-complete mea culpa like this. They would insist on extensive breast-beating and self-flagellation on the offender's part, so Mr. Takei can at least own up to the entirety of what he did.
Since they can't fire him or break contracts since he has none...He is getting away with it, just like I can say the same, and no one can punish me for it...

Clarence "Pubic Hair" Thomas is really creepy. So is his pale white wife.
Anita Hill was a lying sack of shit, and everyone knows that. Never has the American public seen such a blatant attempt by the left to make up a completely fabricated story in order to get their way.

By "everyone" - I assume you mean NaziCons.

You assume a lot of stupid shit, so why should this be any different?

Polls at the time consistently showed that the majority of Americans - and the majority of women - did not believe Anita Hill.

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

The thing that strikes me is, he continues to mis-characterize what Thomas actually was saying. Human dignity is not bestowed or taken by man, each human is born with dignity as a human. Slavery did not cause humans to be less worthy of honor and respect or have less self-worth. You are born worthy of honor and respect as a human and you are worth something by virtue of being human.

It was actually a quite brilliant statement that flew as comfortably as the Starship Enterprise over Mr. Takei's pointy little gay head.

Clarence "Pubic Hair" Thomas is really creepy. So is his pale white wife.
Anita Hill was a lying sack of shit, and everyone knows that. Never has the American public seen such a blatant attempt by the left to make up a completely fabricated story in order to get their way.

By "everyone" - I assume you mean NaziCons.
Basically.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

George Takei
2 hrs · Edited ·

The thing that strikes me is, he continues to mis-characterize what Thomas actually was saying. Human dignity is not bestowed or taken by man, each human is born with dignity as a human. Slavery did not cause humans to be less worthy of honor and respect or have less self-worth. You are born worthy of honor and respect as a human and you are worth something by virtue of being human.

It was actually a quite brilliant statement that flew as comfortably as the Starship Enterprise over Mr. Takei's pointy little gay head.

Like most leftists, Mr. Takei is focused exclusively on circumstances, because if one is not, it's impossible to be a victim. And victimhood is very, very essential to being a leftist.

Like most leftists, Mr. Takei is focused exclusively on circumstances, because if one is not, it's impossible to be a victim. And victimhood is very, very essential to being a leftist.

And.... He repeatedly plays on this 'experience' his family had during Japanese internment without so much as mentioning WHY that happened and WHO did it! This was the policy of FDR! And every SCOTUS judge he packed the court with backed him up in the Korematsu decision.

Forum List

Back