Gays

How the Public Feels About Gay Marriage
2 hours, 21 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By The Associated Press

Some recent polls have examined how the public feels about homosexuality, gay marriage, civil unions and efforts to ban gay marriage. Among their findings:

_Americans are closely divided on whether homosexual relations between adults should be legal.

_A majority of Americans, sometimes by as much as a 2-1 margin, say they oppose legalizing gay marriage.

_Americans are divided on whether homosexual couples should be allowed to form legally recognized civil unions, with slightly more people opposing it.

_People are evenly divided on the question of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage — an attitude that has shifted in the last month from majority opposition to an amendment toward an even split on that question.

A month ago, when people were given the option of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage or letting states make their own laws, almost six in 10 favored letting states deal with the issue, while almost four in 10 favored a constitutional amendment. In results released Tuesday, they were closely divided on that issue.

The results on homosexual relations come from a January CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll, the results on gay marriage come from the National Annenberg Election Survey out Tuesday and the results on civil unions and a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage come from an ABC News-Washington Post poll. The new results on the constitutional amendment were released Tuesday.

link

2 to 1 oppose gay marriage.

those parades are part of the gay rights movement, just like blacks did decades ago. I it makes people reject gays even more, why has it become more acceptable. Did blacks get hated even more, in some places, but overall it worked

First of all, it had nothing to do with flaming, it was the paradigm shift in society in the 60's that started the road to acceptance. The comparison of blacks to gays is a weak one at best. One is just a different race the other is a sexual dysfunction. There are men who love little girls, that is a dysfunction too, should we be accepting of that ? Or how about incest ?

Originally posted by deciophobic
show me the polls!

Here's one:

"A USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll, which was conducted July 25-27, indicates acceptance of homosexuality entered into a time warp in the past three months -- hitting lows not seen since the mid-1990s."

http://www.family.org/cforum/fnif/news/A0027114.cfm

and another:

"The last time the response was so low toward acceptance of homosexuality was in 1996, USA Today reported."

http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2003/07/29/2

and one more:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/07/30/MN286179.DTL

Originally posted by MtnBiker

By The Associated Press

Some recent polls have examined how the public feels about homosexuality, gay marriage, civil unions and efforts to ban gay marriage. Among their findings:

_Americans are closely divided on whether homosexual relations between adults should be legal.

_A majority of Americans, sometimes by as much as a 2-1 margin, say they oppose legalizing gay marriage.

_Americans are divided on whether homosexual couples should be allowed to form legally recognized civil unions, with slightly more people opposing it.

_People are evenly divided on the question of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage — an attitude that has shifted in the last month from majority opposition to an amendment toward an even split on that question.

A month ago, when people were given the option of a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage or letting states make their own laws, almost six in 10 favored letting states deal with the issue, while almost four in 10 favored a constitutional amendment. In results released Tuesday, they were closely divided on that issue.

The results on homosexual relations come from a January CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll, the results on gay marriage come from the National Annenberg Election Survey out Tuesday and the results on civil unions and a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage come from an ABC News-Washington Post poll. The new results on the constitutional amendment were released Tuesday.

link

and what was the ratio 15-20 years ago?

Originally posted by Johnney
why worry about what that? it was 15-20 years ago. it doenst have a hold here and now

why worry about that, it shows over the years people have become more accepting of gays, which is the whole point of the gay rights movement.

Let us not forget the overwhelming majorities in the house and senate for the defense of marriage act !

Most constitutional professors concur that a constitutional amendment will pass congress by the required two thirds. The question comes becomes will enough states ratify the amendment either by legislative bodies or conventions, being 38 states would be required. The general feeling is yes !

Originally posted by MtnBiker

By The Associated Press

link

about that 2 to 1 opposing gay marriage, you might wanna read a little closer..it says "sometimes by as much as 2-1"...now when it says sometimes, it means in some areas it is 2-1

America has progressed over the years and will continue to, one day gay marriage will be legal wheteher you like it or not.

Today, I'll leave you with a quote or two...

1st "All progress has resulted from people who took unpopular positions."
Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)

and 2nd "Suppose you were a heartless bastard, and suppose you were a Republican, but, .....I repeat myself."
Mark Twain LOL

Originally posted by deciophobic
America has progressed over the years and will continue to, one day gay marriage will be legal wheteher you like it or not.

As long as it's after I'm dead so I don't have to witness that filth.

Originally posted by eric
Let us not forget the overwhelming majorities in the house and senate for the defense of marriage act !

Most constitutional professors concur that a constitutional amendment will pass congress by the required two thirds. The question comes becomes will enough states ratify the amendment either by legislative bodies or conventions, being 38 states would be required. The general feeling is yes !
Agreed.

and 2nd "Suppose you were a heartless bastard, and suppose you were a Republican, but, .....I repeat myself."

This statement is just plain ignorant ! Now you are lumping every one into a stereotype, much like that all gay men are child molesters.

Originally posted by eric
This statement is just plain ignorant ! Now you are lumping every one into a stereotype, much like that all gay men are child molesters.

Now IIIIII am lumping everyone into a stereotype, I don't believe that was my quote.

America has progressed over the years and will continue to

You really believe we progressed in the right direction? How old are you ? I am close to 40 and I can remember a time when parents did not have half the worries of today. A time when people were decent, television was informative, and schools were a place to learn. Yes let us continue on this path we are on. I just thank God I have the resources that I and my future children will always be able to isolate our family from these negative influences. It is not people like me who will suffer high crime rates, middle of the road medical care, and poor schools. So you are hurting the very people you so trying to cater to !

Now IIIIII am lumping everyone into a stereotype, I don't believe that was my quote

Yes, tell me that statement did not imply that Republicans are heartless !

Forum List

Back