Gays in the military - a choice

Which of the two people would you rather be in the military during war time?

• A gay person - as a vounteer - who is eager and willing and able to serve his or her country

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Your son or daughter or grandchildren - as a draftee.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
I think we should ask the vets for their opinion on the matter.

• Banned
My Granddaughter deploys to Afghanistan later this year. I couldn't be more proud.

That's great, but unless she was drafted against her will (which I somehow doubt), I fail to see the relevance to the poll question.

If there aren't enough volunteers then a draft becomes a necessity. Are you telling me you'd rather press 10,000 people who are unwilling to serve into service to keep from having 10,000 people who are eager to serve but just happen to fuck people of the same sex out?

Last edited:
My Granddaughter deploys to Afghanistan later this year. I couldn't be more proud.

That's great, but unless she was drafted against her will (which I somehow doubt), I fail to see the relevance to the poll question.

If there aren't enough volunteers then a draft becomes a necessity. Are you telling me you'd rather press 10,000 people who are unwilling to serve into service to keep from having 10,000 people who are eager to serve but just happen to fuck people of the same sex out?

Ollie is a complete and utter homophobe.....what did you expect?

I was in the Navy for 20 years and 5 days. Honorably retired as a Chief Petty Officer. I only know of 5 different incidents involving homosexuals that I can say I know about first hand and not things I have heard you might label strictly as hear say. It has been my experience that there are certainly homosexuals serving in the military that have not disclosed their sexual preferences - not have come out of the closet, if you will. I have witnessed some here and there that you might strongly suspect as being a homosexual but never confronted because they did nothing out of line with normal duties. However, in the 5 cases that I do know about personally, it was not a good day for the people who were disclosed as being homosexuals. It was not a life style that was accepted very well by the straight sailors once they found out a fellow sailor was a homosexual.

Now, I have been retired for 20 years so I have been out of the military service for as long as I was in the service. Things and times change but I just don't think there has been that much of a change in the last 20 years as to warrant the belief that a serviceman serving in the military, openly homosexual, is going to encounter a pleasant situation - even if they change all of the present rules governing homosexual service. The prevailing attitude is that it doesn't matter and will be easily accepted by today's servicemen. I, for one, don't believe it.

Last edited:

Oh horseshit, you only dream these things because I disagree.

I think we should ask the vets for their opinion on the matter.

Ok, I say let the gays be able to be out in the open because they sure as hell are already in the services. They should be able to serve and not worry about being kicked out for being gay. That sucks.

Oh horseshit, you only dream these things because I disagree.

Horseshit???? What would you call it??

I was in the Navy for 20 years and 5 days. Honorably retired as a Chief Petty Officer. I only know of 5 different incidents involving homosexuals that I can say I know about first hand and not things I have heard you might label strictly as hear say. It has been my experience that there are certainly homosexuals serving in the military that have not disclosed their sexual preferences - not have come out of the closet, if you will. I have witnessed some here and there that you might strongly suspect as being a homosexual but never confronted because they did nothing out of line with normal duties. However, in the 5 cases that I do know about personally, it was not a good day for the people who were disclosed as being homosexuals. It was not a life style that was accepted very well by the straight sailors once they found out a fellow sailor was a homosexual.

Now, I have been retired for 20 years so I have been out of the military service for as long as I was in the service. Things and times change but I just don't think there has been that much of a change in the last 20 years as to warrant the belief that a serviceman serving in the military, openly homosexual, is going to encounter a pleasant situation - even if they change all of the present rules governing homosexual service. The prevailing attitude is that it doesn't matter and will be easily accepted by today's servicemen. I, for one, don't believe it.

Thanks Chief and I understand its been a long time since you have been to the goat locker, but let me tell you ...things have changed quit a bit since your time. i retired from the Navy in 2004.

We KNEW who were gay and we didn't care in the last few squadrons I was attached to. Period. Earlier in my career I watched someone "out" a guy on a base I was on and yes, they did bounce him out of the service for it. Sad really because he was a great sailor according to everyone I talked to.

DADT works, Gays can serve if they so desire without any problems. Why do they need to be open about it?

Wait, I thought living with gays changes one's life, though? Are you saying its better to live with liars?

Spin it any way you like.

"Stupid was trying to impose a policy from the top without any regard for the views of the people who were going to be affected or the people who would have to effect the policy change," Gates said.

AP Newswire | Stars and Stripes

DADT works, Gays can serve if they so desire without any problems. Why do they need to be open about it?

Wait, I thought living with gays changes one's life, though? Are you saying its better to live with liars?

"Stupid was trying to impose a policy from the top without any regard for the views of the people who were going to be affected or the people who would have to effect the policy change," Gates said.

I'm just asking the questions. You said living with gays was a life changing experience. How many gays did you live with and how did it change your life?

...are there NO men in the USA? Must you stoop so low as to send women to fight your wars for you? You should be ashamed.

Last edited:

I'm just asking the questions. You said living with gays was a life changing experience. How many gays did you live with and how did it change your life?

Other than my Step Son I haven't a clue. I only knew of 3 gays for certain in 22 years on active duty. 2 of them were females who were discharged one was just as I was doing my final out-processing. I'm certain he was also discharged.

Other than my Step Son I haven't a clue.
??? But earlier you said if the soldiers were forced to work and live with gays it would be a life changing experience, now you admit you have no clue? WTF?

Forum List

Back