Gay Rights Group Demands Apology From Newsweek

Not surprising. These are the type of activists that think parading down main street together in assless chaps is going to change Americans opinion. Funny thing is alot of people would at least listen to what they have to say if they just had some class and picked their battles appropriately.

Have you ever been to a gay pride parade?

Many, many years ago in the early 90's I have. It wasn't by choice either. A few friends and I were in San FransickO hitting up some of the great beer pubs there and later that night when walking around down town we headed straight into a Gay rights activist protest. Some lunatic standing on the bed of his truck screaming at the top of his lungs. All around him were close to 150 people dancing around some half naked and a few others completely nude. Now I realize that not all gay people do this, but this was without a doubt a fucking freak show. Anway, Yeah that's my story concerning that. ~BH

I'd doubt it.

You know...this whole thing about Tea Partiers complaining about their rallies being misrepresented by a few outrageous signs, protesters, etc. has always cracked me up. Because the same thing has been done again and again to us gays and our gay pride parades.

Why would you take pride in a disgusting, perverted, mental illness?

A gay rights group is demanding an apology from Newsweek magazine for a recent story that the group says suggested gay actors can't play straight characters.

"An actor's personal life should not be a factor in their believability in a role," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "That would be tantamount to audiences not buying Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl as lovers in their upcoming film 'Killers' because the two are happily married to different people in real life."

GLAAD spokesman Rich Ferraro said the magazine has not offered the apology sought by the group, but that the topic was discussed with Barrios and Dustin Lance Black, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of "Milk," during a Q&A with Newsweek on Wednesday. He said he believed that discussion would be published in the next issue.

Some Hollywood stars blasted the magazine and writer Ramin Setoodeh for an April 26 story that said it was OK for straight actors to play gay roles, but "it's rare for someone to pull off the trick in reverse."

In the story, Setoodeh criticized Sean Hayes' latest leading-man performance on Broadway, writing that the openly gay actor "comes off as wooden and insincere, like he's trying to hide something, which of course he is."

Full article at: Gay Rights Group Demands Apology From Newsweek - ABC News

So what do you think? Can you name any gay actors that you think have played straights convincingly? How about straight actors playing gays?

Discuss.

How would I know if an actor is gay or not? Is this something I would see in the credits?

No, it's something you'd see at the grocery store while you're putting your food on the conveyor belt. Or while sitting at home watching TV. Or driving your car listening to the radio. Everytime any celebrity "comes out" it's all we hear about for a week or more. If you're exposed to the media at all you can't not know.

Not surprising. These are the type of activists that think parading down main street together in assless chaps is going to change Americans opinion. Funny thing is alot of people would at least listen to what they have to say if they just had some class and picked their battles appropriately.

ROFLMNAO... the odds of there being anything APPROACHING such idiocy within 150 MILES of our town are exponentially higher than a herd of unicorns flying out of your ass with millions of rosey smelling lollipops...

Last edited:

I'd doubt it.

no, but I've seen one on tv and I'm guesses they skipped the really bad stuff, what I saw was bad enough.

I'd doubt it.

no, but I've seen one on tv and I'm guesses they skipped the really bad stuff, what I saw was bad enough.

What do you think the "really bad stuff" was? And why do you think that they'd skip it?

Because it would be inappropriate to show during prime time. As for the rest, my gay friends wouldn't go anywhere near a gay pride parade. They claim those people are making a bad name for gays.

A gay rights group is demanding an apology from Newsweek magazine for a recent story that the group says suggested gay actors can't play straight characters.

"An actor's personal life should not be a factor in their believability in a role," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "That would be tantamount to audiences not buying Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl as lovers in their upcoming film 'Killers' because the two are happily married to different people in real life."

GLAAD spokesman Rich Ferraro said the magazine has not offered the apology sought by the group, but that the topic was discussed with Barrios and Dustin Lance Black, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of "Milk," during a Q&A with Newsweek on Wednesday. He said he believed that discussion would be published in the next issue.

Some Hollywood stars blasted the magazine and writer Ramin Setoodeh for an April 26 story that said it was OK for straight actors to play gay roles, but "it's rare for someone to pull off the trick in reverse."

In the story, Setoodeh criticized Sean Hayes' latest leading-man performance on Broadway, writing that the openly gay actor "comes off as wooden and insincere, like he's trying to hide something, which of course he is."

Full article at: Gay Rights Group Demands Apology From Newsweek - ABC News

So what do you think? Can you name any gay actors that you think have played straights convincingly? How about straight actors playing gays?

Discuss.

Neil Patrick Harris in almost everything he has done.
The guy who played Jack on Will and Grace, and any of the straight actors on Queer as Folk( there were only three gay men). I watched Queer as Folk for awhile for I found out one of the men was straight in real life, which shocked me, because he had the most "intense" scenes.
Then there is The L Word, where most of the women actors on the show are straight in real life. There is also Mike Brady, Leo McGarry on West Wing, and Rubert Everett.

Forum List

Back