Gay Rights Group Demands Apology From Newsweek

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
A gay rights group is demanding an apology from Newsweek magazine for a recent story that the group says suggested gay actors can't play straight characters.

"An actor's personal life should not be a factor in their believability in a role," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "That would be tantamount to audiences not buying Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl as lovers in their upcoming film 'Killers' because the two are happily married to different people in real life."

GLAAD spokesman Rich Ferraro said the magazine has not offered the apology sought by the group, but that the topic was discussed with Barrios and Dustin Lance Black, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of "Milk," during a Q&A with Newsweek on Wednesday. He said he believed that discussion would be published in the next issue.

Some Hollywood stars blasted the magazine and writer Ramin Setoodeh for an April 26 story that said it was OK for straight actors to play gay roles, but "it's rare for someone to pull off the trick in reverse."

In the story, Setoodeh criticized Sean Hayes' latest leading-man performance on Broadway, writing that the openly gay actor "comes off as wooden and insincere, like he's trying to hide something, which of course he is."

Full article at: Gay Rights Group Demands Apology From Newsweek - ABC News

So what do you think? Can you name any gay actors that you think have played straights convincingly? How about straight actors playing gays?

Discuss.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
A gay rights group is demanding an apology from Newsweek magazine for a recent story that the group says suggested gay actors can't play straight characters.

"An actor's personal life should not be a factor in their believability in a role," said Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. "That would be tantamount to audiences not buying Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl as lovers in their upcoming film 'Killers' because the two are happily married to different people in real life."

GLAAD spokesman Rich Ferraro said the magazine has not offered the apology sought by the group, but that the topic was discussed with Barrios and Dustin Lance Black, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of "Milk," during a Q&A with Newsweek on Wednesday. He said he believed that discussion would be published in the next issue.

Some Hollywood stars blasted the magazine and writer Ramin Setoodeh for an April 26 story that said it was OK for straight actors to play gay roles, but "it's rare for someone to pull off the trick in reverse."

In the story, Setoodeh criticized Sean Hayes' latest leading-man performance on Broadway, writing that the openly gay actor "comes off as wooden and insincere, like he's trying to hide something, which of course he is."

So what do you think? Can you name any gay actors that you think have played straights convincingly? How about straight actors playing gays?

Discuss.

Rock Hudson. Raymond Burr.

It's a fucking opinion piece and they want an apology! I am sure many gay actors and actresses play straights okay.

But don't mention Jodie Foster or Kevin Spacey in that lineup. I would never agree! :lol:

• Thanks
Rock Hudson and Raymond Burr were two that I thought of quickly. So, that makes it possible. Seems to me that Newsweek is about as gay a mainstream magazine as there is. Why would you want to give them grief, particularly when they are about due for bankruptcy. Kill off a generally supportive party. Genius.

I would imagine that Newsweek is sorry that this group is gay. Being gay brings it's own set of sorrows I suppose.

They really need an apology for that? For one its stupid statement. Second, who the fuck cares, stop being such pussies (no pun intended) and thin skinned. better things to focus your efforts on than whining about some stupid comment that really doesn't make gay people look bad.

• Thanks
Asking for an apology for this is stupid.

Yes, a gay actor can play a straight man just fine. Surely these groups have better things to do than harp on this Newsweek opinion.

Discuss.

How would I know if an actor is gay or not? Is this something I would see in the credits?

Not surprising. These are the type of activists that think parading down main street together in assless chaps is going to change Americans opinion. Funny thing is alot of people would at least listen to what they have to say if they just had some class and picked their battles appropriately.

Not surprising. These are the type of activists that think parading down main street together in assless chaps is going to change Americans opinion. Funny thing is alot of people would at least listen to what they have to say if they just had some class and picked their battles appropriately.

Have you ever been to a gay pride parade?

I'd doubt it.

I'd doubt it.

You know...this whole thing about Tea Partiers complaining about their rallies being misrepresented by a few outrageous signs, protesters, etc. has always cracked me up. Because the same thing has been done again and again to us gays and our gay pride parades.

Hhhheeellllllloooooo???

what part of the word and or idea "actor" isnt anyone getting? The whole point of being an actor is to portray something. It makes no difference that that "thing" is. Straight playing a gay, gay playing straight..its all acting.

Forum List

Back