Gay Marriage moving towards federal law

He's talking about doing away with DOMA, which defines marriage at a federal level. Doing away with DOMA would mean the federal government has its nose out of people's lives.

Those of you that pretend repealing this is more government interference are just plain stupid.

No they don't and it is ridiculous to contend they do. When my legal, civil marriage is recognized in all 50 states we will, but not until then.

You have the right to be with whomever you want in whatever type of kooky relationship you want.... just as anyone else does

Government has no business in the realm of marriage... and should only be interested in the equal treatment of persons and legally recognized domiciles.... not forcing acceptance or liking or whatever else....

Great, thanks for the Libertarian stance, but how about we deal in realities? Legal, civil marriage is a government institution that is denied gay and lesbian couples. That is a FACT, a reality. Denying gays and lesbians equal access to that legal, civil marriage is discrimination. That means we DO NOT have the same legal right to that civil marriage that you do. That isn't equal rights.

No, it's not discrimination. I take it that you are a woman, as a woman you have the right to marry a man, just the same as any other woman in this country. Any man in this country has the right to marry a woman, it's the same for every man living here. The fact that you do not WANT to do so, does not make it discrimination. I am even for civil marriage for same sex couples, but I do not see it as a discrimination issue at all.

You have the right to be with whomever you want in whatever type of kooky relationship you want.... just as anyone else does

Government has no business in the realm of marriage... and should only be interested in the equal treatment of persons and legally recognized domiciles.... not forcing acceptance or liking or whatever else....

Great, thanks for the Libertarian stance, but how about we deal in realities? Legal, civil marriage is a government institution that is denied gay and lesbian couples. That is a FACT, a reality. Denying gays and lesbians equal access to that legal, civil marriage is discrimination. That means we DO NOT have the same legal right to that civil marriage that you do. That isn't equal rights.

No, it's not discrimination. I take it that you are a woman, as a woman you have the right to marry a man, just the same as any other woman in this country. Any man in this country has the right to marry a woman, it's the same for every man living here. The fact that you do not WANT to do so, does not make it discrimination. I am even for civil marriage for same sex couples, but I do not see it as a discrimination issue at all.

Are you still making that same nonsensical argument?

What you don't have is the right to marry the person you love...Who is the government to tell you who you are allowed to love?

What you don't have is the right to marry the person you love...Who is the government to tell you who you are allowed to love?
Typical right wing bullshit on their part. They love the government being in control but they can't admit it to themselves.

You already have the right to love or hate or whatever else with anyone you choose

What this government expansion legislation is trying to do is force acceptance and force recognition... nothing more... nothing less... and what you dunces are falling for is the extending of the tendrils that you refuse to see, that comes as a result of this....

Equal treatment by government in things that the government is supposed to deal with....

But funny how that is actually sneered at by the 'gay marriage' supporters.... showing that this is indeed about something more than being able to be with whomever they wish

I would like the law to stay out of marriage for everyone.... but only ensuring equal treatment of citizens under the law... AS IT SHOULD BE... not some nitpicky legislation expanding the influence and tendrils of government even more, hidden behind "good intentions"

I don't care if you choose to be with a guy, a girl, or your goddamn 3rd cousin with 2 penises

You have the right to be with anyone you wish...

When marriage and the institution of it is left with the religious organizations, there is no FORCED acceptance of a lifestyle mandated by government.. you can agree, disagree, like, hate, or whatever else... all on your own...
When it is in the hands of government, you are forced to tolerate or accept or whatever else... this goes against the concepts of freedom... something I will not stand for

Keep the government in this only on matters of government... recognizing a domiciled family unit in terms of taxation, inheritance, etc... and keep the FUCK out of all the rest

Glad to hear you are pro gay marriage

No.. I am not... but nice try... try a little reading comprehension

I am pro equal treatment by government in matters that government should be truly involved in... taxation, inheritance, power of attorney, etc....

No your an idiot who tries to frame a losing argument in such convoluted terms you confuse yourself.

People marrying whom ever they choose is government getting OUT of peoples way you complete brain twisted fool

I am pro equal treatment by government in matters that government should be truly involved in... taxation, inheritance, power of attorney, etc....

No your an idiot who tries to frame a losing argument in such convoluted terms you confuse yourself.

People marrying whom ever they choose is government getting OUT of peoples way you complete brain twisted fool

Try some proper terminology in the post where you are calling someone else an idiot

Government is already out of the way of you or whomever else being with whomever you choose...

You already have the right to love or hate or whatever else with anyone you choose

What this government expansion legislation is trying to do is force acceptance and force recognition... nothing more... nothing less... and what you dunces are falling for is the extending of the tendrils that you refuse to see, that comes as a result of this....

Equal treatment by government in things that the government is supposed to deal with....

But funny how that is actually sneered at by the 'gay marriage' supporters.... showing that this is indeed about something more than being able to be with whomever they wish

I happen to agree with you that government should not be involved in marriage at all. They should provide a legal framework for couples to partner in. Marriage should be a religious institution

My only objection is that the same laws should apply equally for everyone. Marriage for everyone or civil unions for everyone

How is this a federal issue?

Oh, that's right.... EVERYTHING is a federal isue with the Statists.

I happen to agree with you that government should not be involved in marriage at all. They should provide a legal framework for couples to partner in. Marriage should be a religious institution

My only objection is that the same laws should apply equally for everyone. Marriage for everyone or civil unions for everyone

There I agree with you... except no choice... marriage out of government... and government only involved in things the government deals with with the citizenry.... hence having only government recognized family units or domiciles for the purposes of taxation, census, power of attorney, etc

Speaking of brain twisted fucktards, and TM chimes in right on queue... timing is everything!

no offense, DD, but you're looking at it through bias-colored lenses. marriage has already been defined as a fundamental right. (Loving v Virginia). The right you have is not to "love" another person, but to marry the consenting adult of your choosing. There are over 1,000 rights and obligations that go with marriage. And the effort to deny people the right to marry is solely an operation of the religious right who takes offense at it on a religious basis. to that, i'm afraid i have to say 'too bad'. there was a time when inter-racial marriages were prohibited in some places too.

you can't and shouldn't force a church/synagogue/mosque to marry anyone against their will, but government isn't allowed to take away a fundamental right from a group of people without a darn good reason.

no offense, DD, but you're looking at it through bias-colored lenses. marriage has already been defined as a fundamental right. (Loving v Virginia). The right you have is not to "love" another person, but to marry the consenting adult of your choosing. There are over 1,000 rights and obligations that go with marriage. And the effort to deny people the right to marry is solely an operation of the religious right who takes offense at it on a religious basis. to that, i'm afraid i have to say 'too bad'. there was a time when inter-racial marriages were prohibited in some places too.

you can't and shouldn't force a church/synagogue/mosque to marry anyone against their will, but government isn't allowed to take away a fundamental right from a group of people without a darn good reason.

BS... Marriage has always been between a man and a woman. This is just part of the radical gay agenda to try to force us to accept that which is abnormal and a perversion. PERIOD.

So, everyone should have the 'right' to marry whomever/whatever/however many they love and have legal protection in certain areas of the law because of that? Really?

So, everyone should have the 'right' to marry whomever/whatever/however many they love and have legal protection in certain areas of the law because of that? Really?

yes... so long as we're talking about consenting adults. not exactly complex.

yes... so long as we're talking about consent adults.

So, you're for any adult polygamist relatiotionship? 10 people? 20 people? Is there any limit?

See... I am the one with the idea that supports true equal treatment and government non-intervention on matters that do not involved governmental operations.... and the GM supporters still don't like it... why?? simple... because it is not really about equal treatment.. it is about recognition, acceptance, advancing an agenda, and stickittothemanitis... it is about the government being used as a tool forcing those things

Forum List

Back