Gas prices

I'm surprised the drop in oil has been quick to hit the gasoline market.

Perhaps the belief that oil companies will continue to charge high prices because we'll pay it is wrong?

I just paid 3.84 a gallon and felt like I was getting a deal.:eusa_shifty::clap2:

That's what "they" are wanting us to believe.

They raised the prices to $4.25 a gallon, then back to $3.84-so we can say,

"Cool, I got a bargin at Shell!"

It's all a big oil conspiracy, didn't anyone tell you Charles?

:(

I am well aware, Didn't you note hint of sarcasm in my post :)

Now when I pay 78 cents again, like the first time I bought gas. Then I will celebrate :D

So while we're already complaining that the prices are going higher, let's complain that they're going lower now.

You can't just be content that the prices are dropping in correlation with the price of oil? If the oil companies were really out to fuck you that hard, they would just leave the price at $4.00 because they already know you'll pay it regardless.

But no...the price of oil comes down a bit, and when the price of gas responds as well, you complain that it's not enough. You wouldn't be happy unless the oil companies were GIVING you gas.

So while we're already complaining that the prices are going higher, let's complain that they're going lower now.

You can't just be content that the prices are dropping in correlation with the price of oil? If the oil companies were really out to fuck you that hard, they would just leave the price at $4.00 because they already know you'll pay it regardless.

But no...the price of oil comes down a bit, and when the price of gas responds as well, you complain that it's not enough. You wouldn't be happy unless the oil companies were GIVING you gas.

Well, that's not what it takes to make me happy.

But it they want to give me free gas, sure, I'll take it!

Now, tell me, what was a gallon of gas a year ago? Why has it gone up so high in the past year?

Now, tell me, what was a gallon of gas a year ago? Why has it gone up so high in the past year?

maybe because the speculators in the market have seen no reason to believe we were going to do a damn thing to increase supply and lower demand in the last year. Maybe because during the last year, it has looked like a war with Iran might happen, and now that seems a bit less likely?

Maybe the fact that there are some signs of hope of that now, is why it is coming down??

Just maybe!:eusa_eh:

maybe because the speculators in the market have seen no reason to believe we were going to do a damn thing to increase supply and lower demand in the last year. Maybe because during the last year, it has looked like a war with Iran might happen, and now that seems a bit less likely?

Maybe the fact that there are some signs of hope of that now, is why it is coming down??

That certainly could be the case, at least part of it. But we're nowhere near out of the danger of war with Iran just yet.

In my opinion, this price decline is going to be short lived. Congress can ban speculation in futures all they want. Unless something really changes in the geopolitical scene, oil is going up. So is gold. So is silver. So are all commodities.

Ah yes, hope!

Without it, where would we be!

Well, it's been fun! I'm off to a romantic night with my fiancee-ya all have a GREAT WEEKEND! :cool:

That certainly could be the case, at least part of it. But we're nowhere near out of the danger of war with Iran just yet.

In my opinion, this price decline is going to be short lived. Congress can ban speculation in futures all they want. Unless something really changes in the geopolitical scene, oil is going up. So is gold. So is silver. So are all commodities.

I agree, but what I do not get is these people who say things like. China and India are not going to stop using more, so Drilling wont help. seems kinda like flawed logic to me. While it is true China and India will not stop using more, it is not true that Drilling will not help to at least slow the rise of prices.

Am I wrong about this?

I agree, but what I do not get is these people who say things like. China and India are not going to stop using more, so Drilling wont help. seems kinda like flawed logic to me. While it is true China and India will not stop using more, it is not true that Drilling will not help to at least slow the rise of prices.

Am I wrong about this?

Drilling would pretty much have to bring the price down, but I'm just not sure it's the best answer without a serious move towards alternates as well. What's the point of using our reserves up just to bring the price down? That almost seems comparable to using our food, and look how well THAT'S worked.

Bottom line, I want to drill. But I want to be responsible about it at the same time. But the argument about China and India isn't necessarily a bad one. Eventually, their demand will catch up to our added short term finite supply.

I'd rather our newly drilled oil be a supplement while we pursue real alternatives. That means that the liberals are going to have to make concessions. If they're not willing to do so, then it sure would be nice to see them shut the fuck up about the price of oil.

Drilling would pretty much have to bring the price down, but I'm just not sure it's the best answer without a serious move towards alternates as well. What's the point of using our reserves up just to bring the price down? That almost seems comparable to using our food, and look how well THAT'S worked.
I whole heartedly agree we need to move toward alternatives as well. remember it is the Dems who say all the Republicans want to do is drill. When the Republicans are saying we need to do it all.

Bottom line, I want to drill. But I want to be responsible about it at the same time. But the argument about China and India isn't necessarily a bad one. Eventually, their demand will catch up to our added short term finite supply.
I am not disputing that, what I am saying is that drilling will at the least slow the rise in prices, even when China and India are using more and more. As you understand supply and Demand, I know you understand this.

I'd rather our newly drilled oil be a supplement while we pursue real alternatives. That means that the liberals are going to have to make concessions. If they're not willing to do so, then it sure would be nice to see them shut the fuck up about the price of oil.
I agree 100% and that is all I am asking. How many times have I said on this board, that we must do it all. we must drill, we must build more Nuclear plants, we must pursue Alternative sources of Energy, We must build more refineries, and we must conserve energy.

Personally I think it is those who only want to do one or the other that are the real problem. When you have a problem, you do everything that can help solve it, you do not just do one or the other, and you certainly do not sit around doing nothing but arguing about it. Agreed?

For the first time in months, I saw one station at $3.99. I buy Shell or Mobil, I want the detergents or whatever they add. It's down from about $4.54 to $4.14 now.

What a bunch of whining twats, we pay about $12 a gallon.Fucking arseholes.

Yeah, 75% of that is taxes right. You did that to yourselves by electing Tax and spenders.

Meanwhile we pay 4 bucks a gallon and only about 12% is actually staying in our country in the form of taxes. 87.5% of it is going off to fund terrorism :eusa_eh:

Yeah, 75% of that is taxes right. You did that to yourselves by electing Tax and spenders.

Meanwhile we pay 4 bucks a gallon and only about 12% is actually staying in our country in the form of taxes. 87.5% of it is going off to fund terrorism :eusa_eh:

You are still making a lot of girlie noises:D

For the first time in months, I saw one station at $3.99. I buy Shell or Mobil, I want the detergents or whatever they add. It's down from about $4.54 to $4.14 now.

Kath, you're pretty far from refineries if I'm not mistaken, so you have to understand why you are paying a bit more. Here in refinery-heavy NJ, we just saw our average dip below the 3.80's. I'd say your drop of 40 cents is pretty damn good though. We've only dropped about 20 cents since oil has droppped.

And @ Charles:

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on what you said in your last post. This shouldn't be a partisan issue. This is serious business, and if there was ever a time for both sides to make a few concessions, this is the time, and this is the issue.

Treat the dollar better, and pursue something SERIOUSLY besides oil.

I do have to disagree with you on the 87.5% of oil expenses funding terrorism though.

Last edited:
How are your streets, good? Where do all those taxes go?

Afghanistan and Iraq.Road tax pays for the upkeep of the roads...supposedly, the roads are in a dire state:eusa_whistle: People are fed up with the price of fuel here in Britain and it is set for another 50% increase over the next year, I include oil, gas and electricity in this instance.We are pretty pissed off with the world at the moment.Living here is fast becoming a fucking nightmare.I for one am looking for an alternative.

Forum List

Back