Game of Thrones

A lot of GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's writing is eddies and dead ends. He spent 12,000 pages on Stannis -- for what?
To share the experiences of the people living in his fantasy world. To build up the hope and tension to the levels of stannis himself, and of his followers. The first person style is meant also to accomplish this. He wants the reader to feel the same letdown and hopelessness, when the best laid plans go awry. 12000 pages versus 12 accomplishes this.
The problem is that when a writer does that, they often write themselves into a corner that they can't get out of in a believable way. I specifically mentioned Orsen Wells in the OP for that very reason. In the War of the Worlds, he spent the entire novel building the Martians up to such a level that only God, in his infinite wisdom, could beat them. Poor storytelling.
That wasn't Orsen Wells, you know...that was H.G. Wells.

Same thing
No, two different people.

A lot of GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's writing is eddies and dead ends. He spent 12,000 pages on Stannis -- for what?
To share the experiences of the people living in his fantasy world. To build up the hope and tension to the levels of stannis himself, and of his followers. The first person style is meant also to accomplish this. He wants the reader to feel the same letdown and hopelessness, when the best laid plans go awry. 12000 pages versus 12 accomplishes this.
The problem is that when a writer does that, they often write themselves into a corner that they can't get out of in a believable way. I specifically mentioned Orsen Wells in the OP for that very reason. In the War of the Worlds, he spent the entire novel building the Martians up to such a level that only God, in his infinite wisdom, could beat them. Poor storytelling.
Arya stark was well established as the deadliest character on the show. If you had to pause and consider which character would or even could kill the night king, you would end up at Arya. And it was prophesied years ago by the red woman. That's pretty good storytelling, if you ask me.
What's even more interesting is the continuing role that dirk kept playing in the story...all the way from the 1st season.

And Cersei wanted the elephants...........significance?
I am puzzled by that, too. Something tells me thats part of her ruse. Or, that the fact that no elephants came is stuck in her craw and making her wonder about the gold company's (and euron's) allegiances.

Is she so simple that she merely wanted them as a projection of her ego? What does she think elephants would do against dragons? There is something there that hasn't yet been revealed, maybe.

Arya stark was well established as the deadliest character on the show. If you had to pause and consider which character would or even could kill the night king, you would end up at Arya. And it was prophesied years ago by the red woman. That's pretty good storytelling, if you ask me.
I have no problem with her being the assassin of the Night King, but I have a problem with the trickery of her just showing up out of nowhere. As I said, she was running for her life the last scene we saw of her before she shows up here. Its poorly written.
You missed her exchange with the Red Priestess then.....that's when I guessed that she would do it.

Also, the Night King senses Bran, and would sense something was wrong if it was Arya.
He did. You can see bran avert his gaze to somewhere behind the night king. The night kings snatches her right out of the air. His arrogance got the best of him, though.

The dagger used to kill the night king was the dagger of Valerian steel used in the attempt on Bran's life in the beginning.

Also, the Night King senses Bran, and would sense something was wrong if it was Arya.
He did. You can see bran avert his gaze to somewhere behind the night king. The night kings snatches her right out of the air. His arrogance got the best of him, though.

He seems to have pretty good reflexes, i doubt an archer could have hit him even if one was still alive with arrows.

Arya got him because she was in close.

His single mindedness was his downfall, it made him predictable.
Yes, and his arrogance. He wanted to relish his victory, even though he had not yet seized it.

Not sure if someone like him was able to actually feel arrogance. His one mindedness to destroy bran showed his inability to be flexible or even wait to get to bran.

He could have marched south, swelled his army to 100 times its current size, and then came up to get Bran at his leisure.

Not sure if someone like him was able to actually feel arrogance.
Right,but i think he showed it several times in this episode. He walked away from jon snow, leaving him to battle the wights. He assumed victory over both arya and bran. He stopped his wights in favor of relishing the murder of Bran for himself.

Forum List

Back