Game of Thrones

A lot of GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's writing is eddies and dead ends. He spent 12,000 pages on Stannis -- for what?
To share the experiences of the people living in his fantasy world. To build up the hope and tension to the levels of stannis himself, and of his followers. The first person style is meant also to accomplish this. He wants the reader to feel the same letdown and hopelessness, when the best laid plans go awry. 12000 pages versus 12 accomplishes this.
The problem is that when a writer does that, they often write themselves into a corner that they can't get out of in a believable way. I specifically mentioned Orsen Wells in the OP for that very reason. In the War of the Worlds, he spent the entire novel building the Martians up to such a level that only God, in his infinite wisdom, could beat them. Poor storytelling.
That wasn't Orsen Wells, you know...that was H.G. Wells.

Same thing

A lot of GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR's writing is eddies and dead ends. He spent 12,000 pages on Stannis -- for what?
To share the experiences of the people living in his fantasy world. To build up the hope and tension to the levels of stannis himself, and of his followers. The first person style is meant also to accomplish this. He wants the reader to feel the same letdown and hopelessness, when the best laid plans go awry. 12000 pages versus 12 accomplishes this.
The problem is that when a writer does that, they often write themselves into a corner that they can't get out of in a believable way. I specifically mentioned Orsen Wells in the OP for that very reason. In the War of the Worlds, he spent the entire novel building the Martians up to such a level that only God, in his infinite wisdom, could beat them. Poor storytelling.
H G Wells
Orson did the radio play

Arya stark was well established as the deadliest character on the show. If you had to pause and consider which character would or even could kill the night king, you would end up at Arya. And it was prophesied years ago by the red woman. That's pretty good storytelling, if you ask me.

Maybe they worked on an actual outcome for a fight like that rather than throwing a surprise gimmick at the end?
Gimmick? How did you expect the night king and thus the army of the dead to be defeated? Mean thoughts? Dragon's fire didn't work. There was your surprise, and what a great feeling of hopelessness it creatopposed

Who the fuck rides a dragon by holding a scale?
As opposed to all of those other, well known methods.... :rolleyes:

Didnt the Made King use some secret fire sauce to try to destroy Kings Landing? Why didn't they use that to defend Winterfell.
Apparently, the care package from Cersei was late arriving at Winterfell. How, exactly, were they supposed to acquire it?
So, Arya showing up out of nowhere just as he confronts Brandon is not a gimmick? How about a plausible means of her being in the scene to begin with?

Arya stark was well established as the deadliest character on the show. If you had to pause and consider which character would or even could kill the night king, you would end up at Arya. And it was prophesied years ago by the red woman. That's pretty good storytelling, if you ask me.

So she was shot from a catapult to the Night King

Maybe they worked on an actual outcome for a fight like that rather than throwing a surprise gimmick at the end?
Gimmick? How did you expect the night king and thus the army of the dead to be defeated? Mean thoughts? Dragon's fire didn't work. There was your surprise, and what a great feeling of hopelessness it creatopposed

Didnt the Made King use some secret fire sauce to try to destroy Kings Landing? Why didn't they use that to defend Winterfell.
Apparently, the care package from Cersei was late arriving at Winterfell. How, exactly, were they supposed to acquire it?
I expected something more sophisticated to kill a Night King

Instead we got........Sneak up on him and stick him with the pointy end

So, Arya showing up out of nowhere just as he confronts Brandon is not a gimmick? How about a plausible means of her being in the scene to begin with?

Painful. All that times, effort and money and they just shoot her from a catapult onto the Night King

I have no problem with her being the assassin of the Night King, but I have a problem with the trickery of her just showing up out of nowhere. As I said, she was running for her life the last scene we saw of her before she shows up here. Its poorly written.

That wasn't Orsen Wells, you know...that was H.G. Wells.
You're right. My bad. I always confuse the two.

Seems anti-climatic from here
Yes, and i am sure our showrunners know this. They are going to play on that. I sense an inversion coming. Just as the battle against the dead seemed hopeless and doomed, then turned on a dime, I have a sense that they will invert this range of emotions in the upcoming episodes.

The battle against Cersei will seem to be won before it begins, and then she will turn that on its head somehow, beingthe evil genius she is.

We saw what one 'scorpion' can do. Imagine 200 of them.

Cersei's pregnancy is fake. Of that i am certain. She refuses wine with Tyrion, but then is shown drinking wine after doing the deed with Euron.

The undead threat is gone. Will Jaime and tyrion align with their blood? Will Varys sabotage any perceived threat to daenerys's rule, including jon snow?

Daenerys seems not to see the obvious: Jon could become king, and that would still make her the queen, should they be married. But she doesnt want to be that kind of queen; she wants to sit on the iron throne, which a queen does not do. That is for the king.

The gold company is a wildcard. Surely they are as aware as anyone that they are dragonfire fodder in any battle in the field. They aren't in the business of committing suicide. They aren't going to line themselves up in a pretty little row and march along roads or into the field in formation. In the end, they may open the gates of King's Landing to Daenerys.
And Cersei wanted the elephants...........significance?

I expected something more sophisticated to kill a Night King

Instead we got........Sneak up on him and stick him with the pointy end

Not to mention that the Night King showing up on the battle field full of flying dragon glass violates about 20 "If I were the Evil Overlord" pointers

The Top 100 Things I'd Do
If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord

1. My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass visors, not face-concealing ones.

2. My ventilation ducts will be too small to crawl through.

3. My noble half-brother whose throne I usurped will be killed, not kept anonymously imprisoned in a forgotten cell of my dungeon.

4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

5. The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them....
Peter's Evil Overlord List

but I have a problem with the trickery of her just showing up out of nowhere.
The godswood is clearly where she was going, after the red woman interacted with her. I was watching the godswood scene wondering when she would show up. And, when the white walkers felt that breeze, I got my answer.

I expected it to be Samwell......the one you would least expect

He had studied at the Citadel Library and taken books which presumably told how they defeated the Night King a thousand years ago. He stole his fathers sword

Instead we got ...stick him with the pointy end

Seems anti-climatic from here
Yes, and i am sure our showrunners know this. They are going to play on that. I sense an inversion coming. Just as the battle against the dead seemed hopeless and doomed, then turned on a dime, I have a sense that they will invert this range of emotions in the upcoming episodes.

The battle against Cersei will seem to be won before it begins, and then she will turn that on its head somehow, beingthe evil genius she is.

We saw what one 'scorpion' can do. Imagine 200 of them.

Cersei's pregnancy is fake. Of that i am certain. She refuses wine with Tyrion, but then is shown drinking wine after doing the deed with Euron.

The undead threat is gone. Will Jaime and tyrion align with their blood? Will Varys sabotage any perceived threat to daenerys's rule, including jon snow?

Daenerys seems not to see the obvious: Jon could become king, and that would still make her the queen, should they be married. But she doesnt want to be that kind of queen; she wants to sit on the iron throne, which a queen does not do. That is for the king.

The gold company is a wildcard. Surely they are as aware as anyone that they are dragonfire fodder in any battle in the field. They aren't in the business of committing suicide. They aren't going to line themselves up in a pretty little row and march along roads or into the field in formation. In the end, they may open the gates of King's Landing to Daenerys.
And Cersei wanted the elephants...........significance?
By the time the North marches south, they'll be at Cersi's disposal. The dragons will need a snack after a long flight. lol

but I have a problem with the trickery of her just showing up out of nowhere.
The godswood is clearly where she was going, after the red woman interacted with her. I was watching the godswood scene wondering when she would show up. And, when the white walkers felt that breeze, I got my answer.

For a time I thought she was impersonating bran, but then i remembered the person has to be dead for her to use their face.

Also, the Night King senses Bran, and would sense something was wrong if it was Arya.

To me the use of the cavalry to scout ahead seemed reasonable, I doubt the expected so few to come back though.

That the unsullied fared better isn't a surprise either, phalanx formations are designed to counter such rushes.

Forum List

Back