Future Colin Kaepernicks, Beware: You Can Get Fired for Political Speech

it doesn't, dumbo... our so-called president is playing to his emo base.

Of course it's up to the private owners....

The President of the USA should have kept his trap shut....

Oh, I see.. So the 1st Amendment only applies where you want it

-Geaux
For goodness sake, how can you be so obtuse? The President swore to uphold the constitution, NOT beat it down.....he should have defended the guy, even if he personally disagreed.....he is getting paid by his employer, to defend the constitution, 24/7.....instead he's acting like a child, beating down that first amendment with all his power and MIGHT as our President..... first the original travel band against Muslims/against religion... you all aplauded and said nothing, then his attack on the freedom of the press, you did nothing, then the football players right to peaceful protest, you did nothing,

What's next?

You all are part of a CULT, following this wanna be dictator.... cheering his every unconstitutional move he makes like thoughtless sheep imo.

I simply do not understand this spell you all are under?????

Obama said a young boy, who was killed, could have been his son, and you all told him to keep his gosh DARN mouth shut but king trump sticks his nose in to a constitutional issue, on the wrong side of it, and you all cheer him on...... like I said, just mind blowing....

Interesting you mention the Constitution when the courts ruled (13) times that Obama;s EO's were Un-Constitutional

Where in the Constitution does it say you have a right to protest at your work place?

-Geaux
The constitution leaves it up to the OWNERS, not the government or PRESIDENT.....

What were the 13 e/o s ruled unconstitutional?

And what about ALL OF Trumps E/Os, silence by you all, no one on the R side suing him on them....?

Don't worry snowflakes, none of the millionaires are going to get fired. After all they are just doing the biding of the rich team owners.

But First Amendment experts say most employees can be fired from many jobs for exercising their freedom of speech.

Federal law does not protect workers in the private sector — only government employees.

“There is no federal law protecting against discrimination or retaliation for political activity” at private companies, Paula Brantner, a senior adviser at Workplace Fairness, told TheWrap. “A lot of people think they have First Amendment rights, but those only apply to government employees.”

But we have been telling you clowns that everytime you whine about some illiterate rightie that gets fired for posting something racist. How is it you just now caught on?

Don't worry snowflakes, none of the millionaires are going to get fired. After all they are just doing the biding of the rich team owners.

But First Amendment experts say most employees can be fired from many jobs for exercising their freedom of speech.

Federal law does not protect workers in the private sector — only government employees.

“There is no federal law protecting against discrimination or retaliation for political activity” at private companies, Paula Brantner, a senior adviser at Workplace Fairness, told TheWrap. “A lot of people think they have First Amendment rights, but those only apply to government employees.”

But we have been telling you clowns that everytime you whine about some illiterate rightie that gets fired for posting something racist. How is it you just now caught on?
Making more BS up are we? WTF, just say it and it become so in liberal world.

Doesn't matter if what you say is exactly true about the right, doesn't matter at all. YOU and your ilk are saying things that are just not true and trying to make up stories to defend what you are saying, as if that will make it true is really foolish.

Oh, I see.. So the 1st Amendment only applies where you want it

-Geaux
For goodness sake, how can you be so obtuse? The President swore to uphold the constitution, NOT beat it down.....he should have defended the guy, even if he personally disagreed.....he is getting paid by his employer, to defend the constitution, 24/7.....instead he's acting like a child, beating down that first amendment with all his power and MIGHT as our President..... first the original travel band against Muslims/against religion... you all aplauded and said nothing, then his attack on the freedom of the press, you did nothing, then the football players right to peaceful protest, you did nothing,

What's next?

You all are part of a CULT, following this wanna be dictator.... cheering his every unconstitutional move he makes like thoughtless sheep imo.

I simply do not understand this spell you all are under?????

Obama said a young boy, who was killed, could have been his son, and you all told him to keep his gosh DARN mouth shut but king trump sticks his nose in to a constitutional issue, on the wrong side of it, and you all cheer him on...... like I said, just mind blowing....
Once again, just because the left keeps saying it doesn't make it true. There is no first amendment protection, period.

Football fans don't HAVE to demand retribution for players who "offend" them.

Gay couples don't HAVE to file a complaint about bakery owners who "offend" them.

College students don't HAVE to shut down the opposing speech of speakers who "offend" them.

This is stuff people CHOOSE to do because they're so FULL of themselves, because they can't just let shit go.

just-let-it-go.jpg

That's how freedom of speech works. You cannot say whatever you want as an employee of someone else's business without the possibility of getting fired. But the government cannot prosecute you.

Football fans don't HAVE to demand retribution for players who "offend" them.

Gay couples don't HAVE to file a complaint about bakery owners who "offend" them.

College students don't HAVE to shut down the opposing speech of speakers who "offend" them.

This is stuff people CHOOSE to do because they're so FULL of themselves, because they can't just let shit go.

just-let-it-go.jpg

That's how freedom of speech works. You cannot say whatever you want as an employee of someone else's business without the possibility of getting fired. But the government cannot prosecute you.
Thank you for verifying what I have been saying for 5 days, do you think it will ever sink in to the liberals?

This was never a 1st Amendment issue. No one is expecting the Fed's to punish anyone. This is about a bunch of asshole trolls getting severe backlash from the fans who pay them
Then why did a member of the government use his bully pulpit to tell owners they should fire their players?
It was his OPINION, I assume you have several.

The POTUS doesn't have 1st amendment rights?
Yeah the President has1st Amendment Rights, it's just that anyone with a third grade understanding of those Rights realize that he doesn't have the right to infringe upon the player's Rights...

He didn't infringe on their rights, when did he call for state censorship? It is you who doesn't understand the 1st amendment.
So...you acknowledge that the Chief Executive doesn't really have a bully pulpit......I wonder why all these Righties were upset about B. Clinton's sex life then.

This was never a 1st Amendment issue. No one is expecting the Fed's to punish anyone. This is about a bunch of asshole trolls getting severe backlash from the fans who pay them
Then why did a member of the government use his bully pulpit to tell owners they should fire their players?
I do....are my opinions heard by as many people as trump's? Does my opinion carry as much weight as trump's when it comes to influencing others?

I do....are my opinions heard by as many people as trump's? Does my opinion carry as much weight as trump's when it comes to influencing others?
Wow, hopefully not. :banana:

Yeah the President has1st Amendment Rights, it's just that anyone with a third grade understanding of those Rights realize that he doesn't have the right to infringe upon the player's Rights...

He didn't infringe on their rights, when did he call for state censorship? It is you who doesn't understand the 1st amendment.
So...you acknowledge that the Chief Executive doesn't really have a bully pulpit......I wonder why all these Righties were upset about B. Clinton's sex life then.
he lied under oath about a silly thing, what does that have to do with the bully pulpit?

No this is zbnout yohr fake psatriotism & hypocrisy.

You watched the NFL when they allowed rapist, wife beaters, murderers, and dog torturers to play. You watch when you know it that play is killing the players with brain trauma. You then voted for a man who trashed a US veteran John McCain's service, Trashed the parents of a fallen soldier, and said he did not like POWs.

So shove your fake patriotism up your stupid ignorant ass.

This is not about the flag or the national anthem.

You people are dumber than shit & you prove it every freakin day.

Why? He has the right to speak, too, and a responsibility to do so when he represents the highest authority of what those players are protesting.
Those players are protesting civil injustices towards black men, as example...that the police have killed over the decades who were unarmed, or carrying a toy gun etc etc etc, yet none have ever been punished...they are not protesting our anthem and flag...

The First Amendment is why our President, the head of our government, should not get involved and in the middle of this, period. It's the government that is restricted by our first amendment right, not the private owners and the owners should be able to make their own decisions without the government's top dog President calling mother's of player's bitches and without the President recommending they be fired if they don't stand up and sing praise to our nation/ our government as our government head snaps his fingers and wants them to....

He needs to shut up, and butt out...
If this is the case, the players are doing a piss poor job of getting their message out.

People are not reacting to what they are protesting about, they are reacting to the method of protest.

If players want to protest, let them walk around the field holding picket signs before the national anthem. Hell, let them refuse to play!!

As for the players' so-called First Amendment right, that is, simply, not applicable. Owners do not have to allow them to protest. Fans can punish owners for not stopping it, and they can punish players for what they perceive as disrespect for the flag, for the country, and for its veterans.

You can say that the fans are misinterpreting the message all you want - the fact is that, if the players want to get THEIR message across, they need to find another way. Nobody is listening to what the players claim they are saying - they are only reacting to what they see the players do.

As for the President -- he represents the people, and he is telling the NFL what the people are saying. Problem is - they aren't listening.
I have news, Not everyone is a dumb ass Trumpette.

Yes he has a bully pulpit and he can use it to exercise his 1st amendment rights, that is one of the perks of being POTUS, however, what he can not do is rescind broadcasting licenses, impose fines, or sign legislation outlawing others right to free speech, only state censorship violates the 1st amendment, this was not that, again this is undergraduate level Con Law, do yourself a favor and get educated before you comment on subjects which you clearly know nothing about.

No this is zbnout yohr fake psatriotism & hypocrisy.

Yes yes, shitting on the flag, the Anthem, and the country is the new patriotism, you people are the epitome of Orwellian.

I wonder why all these Righties were upset about B. Clinton's sex life then.

It was a sexual harassment lawsuit and Clinton perjured himself and obstructed justice which is why the lying scumbag rapist was disbarred.

These players have to be among the stupidest people in human history and on multiple levels.
They protest against the symbols that represent their right to protest and they insult most of their customer base in the process.

They're protesting against the symbols that represent their right to protest? So you're saying because they can protest, they shouldn't? Er.... wow,
No, you have it backwards. They're not protesting for the opportunity to protest. They're essentially protesting against the opportunity to protest. Like using democracy to vote down democracy.

But they're not.

Your argument is that the flag and the anthem are the things that PROTECT people to protest. They're not. They symbols and nothing more. They're symbols of the US govt.

Now, the US govt should be protecting free speech. But the President is arguing AGAINST free speech. So the flag and the anthem right NOW, represent a govt that is OPPOSED to free speech.
You really are an NFL player. The flag represents the constitution and the essence of our country, including freedom of speech. These idiots don't know how to articulate their contrived, substanceless grievance. As a result, they protest against their own freedom to protest. As Sgt. Lincoln Osiris would say, "moronical".

Oh, going for insults I see. Maybe if you try writing WITHOUT insults, you might get a reply.
I consider them accurate descriptives, especially when you consider the points in the response.

Forum List

Back