Funny Scam: WORX Tools

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm sure you've seen the ads for the WORX cordless electric string trimmer. I usually ignore this sort of thing, but was forced to watch the whole info-ad on TV whilst tread milling at the gym, and this one had a couple features that sealed the deal for me. Cheap, TWO rechargeable batteries, sufficient voltage to do the job (presumably), and a lot of pretty well-thought-out features. Also, replacement spools of string were said to be "free" for lifetime. Finally, money back guarantee.

Well, I got the thing, and it's pretty good. Not quite as powerful as my Echo string trimmer, but good enough for all my uses. And the battery lasts long enough, easily, to do everything I need done on my property.

So after a month of so of use, I ran out of the first spool of string (2 are provided) and thought I'd order a couple more "free" ones.

Har-de-har-har.

Well, the spools are "free," but shipping and handling are $17.24. These things are about as large and heavy as three Oreo cookies, glued together. Ridiculous, right?

So I figure I'll increase my order from 2 to 4, since they are "free." Well, you can't do that. You can only order 2 "free" ones at a time.

So these FREE spools of nylon fishing line, which you could probably buy at Lowe's for about $5 each if they were not proprietary, cost more than $8.00 each.

But I think there's a solution. The spools themselves are not consumed. It would be possible (and easy) to buy your own line and just wind it on the used spool, and make your own "free" replacement.

No such thing as a free lunch, eh?

PREPAY shipping for the spools by sending them a box with prepayed label and catch them in the act of false advertising.
*L*

Use a real trimmer head. I have one that I can edge a whole side of my driveway without bumping or changing string.

Dude, you can't put trimmer line in it?

Well, the spools are "free," but shipping and handling are $17.24. These things are about as large and heavy as three Oreo cookies, glued together. Ridiculous, right?

LMFAO..

LMFAO..

You can't restring it yourself? Pics?

Chapter Two. I got an email telling me that since I'm such a great customer (one purchase so far in this lifetime), they are going to REFUND my shipping and handling charges! One time only!

Chapter Three. So I get the spools, and guess what? "One" actually means ONE PACK OF SIX SPOOLS!. So the two that I ordered, and got for free were actually TWELVE SPOOLS! A virtual lifetime supply.

I am stunned.

Better than advertised.

Forum List

Back