From Revolution to 2008!!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
A black man was one of the first martyrs of the patriot cause. Crispus Attucks, apparently a slave who had run away from his owner 20 years before, died in the Boston Massacre in 1770. Though facts were disputed at trials then as now, witnesses said Attucks hit a British officer with a large piece of firewood, grabbed a bayonet and urged the crowd to attack just before the British fired. Attucks and two others were killed while eight were wounded, two mortally.

Blacks served at the battles of Lexington and Concord. Peter Salem, a freed slave, stood on the green at Lexington facing the British when the first battle broke out with the shot that was heard around the world. One of the last men wounded in the battle as the British escaped to Boston was Prince Estabrook, a black man from West Lexington.

At least 20 blacks, including Peter Salem, were in the ranks two months later when the British attacked an American position outside Boston in the Battle of Bunker Hill. Salem has been honored for firing the shot that killed Major John Pitcairn, the British officer who led the Redcoats when they had attacked his small unit at Lexington.

There are many things in our history that ALL Americans can look back with pride upon , on their ancestors contributions to building this great nation. With the election perhaps of Barack Obama this one more reason for us all to take pride in that ever changing history. Many of this nations hero's some without names , some that lay in oceans like Dorrie Miller, and some that lay in fields around the world are lost in time , but yet they are all part of the great fabric of this nation. It is my hope that with the election of Barack Obama it will shine a light on the deeds of these nameless hero's that have helped weaved the threads of this great nation. All Americans have a right to take pride in his election should he prevail, in that it will show this nation has traveled a long path to arrive in a place where all things are possible for all peoples and justify the sacrificies of all those who came before us. If Barack Obama is elected this day I will lend my congratulations to his election and look upon Barack Obama as my president no less than any other and wish him godspeed.

Thank you Silence, in fact, I think everyone here that lends a voice to the process is the same. Do you know Silence I had the chance to watch this program last night on HBO I think it was about voting machines. Now, like most Americans, I just sort of thought, well all this hoopla was a few fringe people making something out of nothing. However, it was hard not to see how a reasonable person would not be upset at the way those machines are so easily tampered with to become upset. Then I began to think, if people only knew and respected of how damn hard that very privlidge of voting was won, then perhaps they would take the time to respect it more.

Forum List

Back