Friendly suggestion on how to create a good OP

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
One, in the title of your thread, make it clear what the thread is about.

Two, in your opening post (OP), make your statement and make your argument but don't write a dissertation.

Three, when applicable, provide a link that supports your argument.

Four, when possible, copy and paste an excerpt from the article that substantiates your statement/argument in your OP.

Often times, posters make a statement in their OP and provide a link to a lengthy article that the reader is, apparently, expected to read to try and find the point that the OP is claiming to make. That is not reasonable. Depending upon my interest in the topic, I might click anyway and read it. Often times, however, I don't feel like doing the OP's work and reading their link (often from dubious sources) to try and find the relevant verbiage that they claim is there. If they're too lazy to copy and paste the relevant part, why should anyone bother?

Do this and you'll get more mileage. You're welcome.

Two, in your opening post (OP), make your statement and make your argument but don't write a dissertation.

Four, when possible, copy and paste an excerpt from the article that substantiates your statement/argument in your OP.

Often times, posters make a statement in their OP and provide a link to a lengthy article that the reader is, apparently, expected to read to try and find the point that the OP is claiming to make. That is not reasonable. Depending upon my interest in the topic, I might click anyway and read it. Often times, however, I don't feel like doing the OP's work and reading their link (often from dubious sources) to try and find the relevant verbiage that they claim is there. If they're too lazy to copy and paste the relevant part, why should anyone bother?

Very good advice, thanks!

.....yes, this is common sense stuff they should've learned in high school--but looks like a lot didn't graduate
90% of the time they provide NO evidence at all--they just babble

5. organize it like you did in your post...no run on paragraphs
organization = easy to read--easier to understand- your point easier to understand
6. PROOFread--I proof read mine after I post, then correct...but there still will be some mistakes

Last edited:
I think that not making a post nothing but flame bait would help, too.

One poster has posted any number of threads gloating that an activist opposing child rape has been jailed. These posts are absolutely dripping with sarcasm and condescension for any who also oppose child rape and they are posted in such a way that they are meant merely to enflame. These are not invitations to discuss, but provocations, and they are posted ad nauseum.

This is an extreme example, but trolling postings similar to these in being designed solely to enrage should all be sent to the basement.

Forum List

Back