Freight Rail Roads Start Cutting Services Today

Thunk

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2019
Minnesota
Awww bloody hell! This article was written on sept 10th...so monday is today.

BLOOMBERG: "US Freight Railroads to Cut Services as Union Talks Fail, Report Says; Will reduce their services starting Monday"

Awww bloody hell! This article was written on sept 10th...so monday is today.

BLOOMBERG: "US Freight Railroads to Cut Services as Union Talks Fail, Report Says; Will reduce their services starting Monday"

They have until Friday so really they are just going to start throttling back stuff not already moving. Congress wouldn't let this kind of strike last very long. Too expensive.

They have until Friday so really they are just going to start throttling back stuff not already moving. Congress wouldn't let this kind of strike last very long. Too expensive.
From what I understand the union (not the members) won't either.....If a member does not vote the union considers it a yes vote if the union bosses want to approve a contract. Their call-in voting system leaves a lot to be desired too.

We need a high speed freight rail instead of tens of thousands of trucks taking one container at a time from the coasts to the middle of the nation; 300-400 containers at a time.

We need a high speed freight rail instead of tens of thousands of trucks taking one container at a time from the coasts to the middle of the nation; 300-400 containers at a time.

The problem is every container has a different destination.

The problem is every container has a different destination.
True.

If the container was destined for Seattle, you wouldn't ship it to Kansas City. But Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, etc... Once there, you unload the train, put the containers onto trucks for a day or two transit instead of from Long Beach to Kansas City in 3-4 days.

Your solar panel and wind turbine fairytales are already bad enough

I've shipped a shit ton of containers going both in and out .....good luck with that ever happening

Your solar panel and wind turbine fairytales are already bad enough
Both are contributing to the electric grid.
I've shipped a shit ton of containers going both in and out .....good luck with that ever happening
Okay...

What is your objection to high speed rail to carry freight containers to the middle of the nation exactly? It seems to me that 300-400 containers being delivered the same day would be preferable to a trucker taking one or two containers at a time over several days.

The geometry of the plan is somewhat broader. The front of the train would eventually be paying passengers if it is economically feasible. It might not be. Air travel is better and more flexible. And for the time being, it is more cost effective. That may change.

What I'm hearing is many MANY workers are going to quit anyway...strike or no strike. They are beyond fed up with the working conditions.
If they quit, they should get no unemployment compensation, food stamps, or any other government support. There are millions of jobs looking for workers.

The cost to build a high speed rail capable of supporting freight is beyond the worlds ability to afford.

Both are contributing to the electric grid.

Okay...

What is your objection to high speed rail to carry freight containers to the middle of the nation exactly? It seems to me that 300-400 containers being delivered the same day would be preferable to a trucker taking one or two containers at a time over several days.

The geometry of the plan is somewhat broader. The front of the train would eventually be paying passengers if it is economically feasible. It might not be. Air travel is better and more flexible. And for the time being, it is more cost effective. That may change.

How about the cost. Trillions of dollars, that don't exist, would be needed to build a high speed freight rail system.

Lets do like electric cars and stop all we do today and force a switch.

What could go wrong?

Unlikely. How much do you think it will cost?
god damn - do you even look into the stupid shit you say? maybe if you did, you'd say a lot less stupid shit - but i have serious doubts.

costs about $500mil A MILE. we're well over a trillion dollars for 1 system at that point.

Amtrak estimates that it would cost $500 million per mile to turn its Northeast Corridor route into a true high-speed system. At these prices, it would cost at least $1 trillion to build a national HSR system, and likely much more. High-speed rail is the “fetch” of transportation ideas.

Forum List

Back