Freelance Journalist Was Following Dream In Iraq

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I've read a lot of her work the past year or two, it seemed quite fair to all parties (i.e. not being anti-US or anti-military).

She also reported searing dispatches about the devastation inflicted upon innocent Iraqi civilians by the insurgency and terrorists.

Her loss will be tragic for the Iraqi people, whom she eloquently represented in her reporting.

I just hope perhaps there is still a chance she can be rescued.

Though it looks highly doubtful, with the monsters who kidnapped her threatening her death unless their demands are met.

Sad may it be, we cannot give in those demands, only bring those who commit such horrible acts to a swift, deserved death and one-way ticket to hell.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/09/carroll.profile.ap/index.html

Freelance journalist was following dream in Iraq
Jill Carroll kidnapped in tough Baghdad neighborhood

Tuesday, January 10, 2006; Posted: 1:05 a.m. EST (06:05 GMT)

Journalist Jill Carroll wrote that she had always wanted to cover wars.
BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- Jill Carroll had just been laid off from a newspaper job and decided it was time to fulfill her dream of going to the Middle East to cover a war.

"All I ever wanted to be was a foreign correspondent," Carroll wrote last year in the American Journalism Review. "It seemed the right time to try to make it happen."

Carroll, a 28-year-old freelancer for The Christian Science Monitor, was kidnapped Saturday in Baghdad, when gunmen ambushed her car and killed her translator. She had been on her way to meet a Sunni Arab official in one of the city's most dangerous neighborhoods. (Full story)

In the February/March issue of AJR, Carroll wrote that she moved to Jordan in late 2002, six months before the war started, "to learn as much about the region as possible before the fighting began."

"There was bound to be plenty of parachute journalism once the war started, and I didn't want to be a part of that," she wrote.

Carroll has had work from Iraq published in the Monitor, the AJR, U.S. News & World Report, an Italian news wire and other publications. She has been interviewed often on National Public Radio. Her most recent article was published in Friday's issue of the Monitor, headlined "Violence threatens Iraqi coalition."

In April, she found and reported about a 27-member Iraqi family whose home was destroyed by a car bomb. The youngest, a 3-year-old, was left paralyzed from the waist down. Monitor readers were touched and sent donations. Carroll returned months later for a visit.

Carroll's editor described her as an aggressive reporter but not a reckless one.

"I've never had any indication that she's reckless," said Marshall Ingwerson, managing editor for the Monitor, based in Boston.

"She's a very professional, straight-up, fact-oriented reporter," Ingwerson said.

Unlike most Western reporters, Carroll is able to speak Arabic, "so she can operate pretty well in Iraq," Ingwerson said.

Despite her language skills, Carroll used an Iraqi translator. The translator was killed during the kidnapping, an Iraqi Interior Ministry official said.

Maj. Falah Mohamadawi said the translator told police just before he died that the abduction took place when he and Carroll were heading to meet Adnan al-Dulaimi, head of the Sunni Arab Iraqi Accordance Front, in the Adel section of the city. The neighborhood is dominated by Sunni Arabs and is considered one of the toughest in Baghdad.

Carroll, in the AJR piece, noted that as the war wore on, "kidnappings and beheadings increased, and Western reporters became virtual prisoners in their hotel rooms. When they did go out, they would travel with two cars: one up front with the reporter, and a 'chase car' following in case the first vehicle was attacked."

It was not known if there was a chase car Saturday.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I saw on TV the clip of her asking for help...released by AlJeez...I noticed she was not wearing head cover...this was not a good sign...they have no respect for her...she is seen as a harlot to be destroyed...I remember when a female pilot was shot down in Iraq during the first Gulf War...she was raped repeatedly by the Iraq Army...If these are the same dudes...woe unto her...and if they are AlQueda...they will rape then remove her head!

archangel said:
I saw on TV the clip of her asking for help...released by AlJeez...I noticed she was not wearing head cover...this was not a good sign...they have no respect for her...she is seen a a harlot to be destroyed...I remember when a female pilot was shot down in Iraq during the first Gulf War...she was raped repeatedly by the Iraq Army...If these are the same dudes...whoa under her...and if they are AlQueda...they will rape then remove her head!

[offtopic]The correct term is woe, not whoa. Woe means pity for a misfortune. Whoa is an interjection.[/offtopic]

If I ever find these cowardly sons of bitches, I swear that I will show no mercy. Now, as a Christian, I'm all about mercy, but I can only show so much before I start to run dry. Unless they surrendered to me first, I could saw off all their appendages with an olive fork and sleep well that night.

Hobbit said:
[offtopic]The correct term is woe, not whoa. Woe means pity for a misfortune. Whoa is an interjection.[/offtopic]

If I ever find these cowardly sons of bitches, I swear that I will show no mercy. Now, as a Christian, I'm all about mercy, but I can only show so much before I start to run dry. Unless they surrendered to me first, I could saw off all their appendages with an olive fork and sleep well that night.

I saw that and a couple of other errors...'under her'...they have been corrected...as I was writing my daughter stopped by and asked for a ride home from work...too icy out...I have a four wheel drive...at any rate I saw it but had to leave...so when I came back to correct...oh oh the sp police busted me already! :spank3: :laugh:

NATO AIR said:
I've read a lot of her work the past year or two, it seemed quite fair to all parties (i.e. not being anti-US or anti-military).

She also reported searing dispatches about the devastation inflicted upon innocent Iraqi civilians by the insurgency and terrorists.

Her loss will be tragic for the Iraqi people, whom she eloquently represented in her reporting.

I just hope perhaps there is still a chance she can be rescued.

Though it looks highly doubtful, with the monsters who kidnapped her threatening her death unless their demands are met.

Sad may it be, we cannot give in those demands, only bring those who commit such horrible acts to a swift, deserved death and one-way ticket to hell.
I'm not trying to be a downer here, but Daniel Pearl certainly meant to ge† out the Islamicist point of view. Nonetheless he lost his head and voice.

Kathianne said:
I'm not trying to be a downer here, but Daniel Pearl certainly meant to ge† out the Islamicist point of view. Nonetheless he lost his head and voice.

I think she was trying to represent the voice of the Iraqi people, not the Iraqi and foreign terrorists/Islamists.

This is a good point though. Those who are outside of the Arab culture will find themselves in danger at the first mistake, such as trusting a politician with ties to the insurgents.

NATO AIR said:
I think she was trying to represent the voice of the Iraqi people, not the Iraqi and foreign terrorists/Islamists.

This is a good point though. Those who are outside of the Arab culture will find themselves in danger at the first mistake, such as trusting a politician with ties to the insurgents.
Not speaking for that journalist, but Pearl hadn't time to pick sides. His sin, being a jew from America. Although, I doubt the America part counted.

Kathianne said:
Not speaking for that journalist, but Pearl hadn't time to pick sides. His sin, being a jew from America. Although, I doubt the America part counted.

yes I was just reading about how his wife was furious at a reporter who revealed his "jewish" background, and she partly blames him for why he was executed.

i tend to agree sadly.

Mariner said:
who risk their lives--and risk kidnapping--to try to bring us the news deserve as much respect as our armed forces in Iraq.

Mariner.

Hmmm....

I wonder, I wonder. Being a journalist in a hot spot takes guts, but they're usually doing it more for personal glory than the betterment of us all. Of course, this applies to some soldiers as well. Depends on the soldier or journalist, I guess.

I haven't really thought this one through, but I'm sure there are other differences. Some journalists claim no fealty to their home countries. I remember one saying his first loyalty was to "the world" or "the truth" or something like that. A soldier's first loyalty is to his country.

So, different things going on.

can be any higher praise for a reporter than that he or she was fair. It bothers me that I can read one version of events in the New York Times sometimes and a different version in the Wall Street Journal (or, more commonly, that the story appearing on page 1 of one paper is buried in the back of the other).

Think of it this way--you'd generally wish that Soviet or Nazi reporters were fair rather than loyal to their regimes, right?

A soldier's job, of course, is different. Loyalty to country is part of the job, though being decent to noncombatants is every bit as crucial in a war such as Iraq.

Mariner.

Forum List

Back