Freedom from ME oil.

I see no reason we can not be the LEADER in new techs as we were the leader in innovation for most of the 18th and 19th centuries.

That's an easy one. The right is against education and science. It's no secret. They believe that Jesus will save us, if only we could get more "mysticism" in public schools.

I wouldn't paint everyone on the right that way, unless you are talking about fringe groups and then I would submit to you that republicans have no exclusive on that catagory. In fact I see nothing wrong with teaching everything in school it's only when we limit possibilites, is when we start to reach into the realm of mysticism. In fact even the likes of Newt Gingrich have joined Al Shaprton recently on calling on the Administration to help out our crumbling public shcool system.

I would like to have an honest, fair, and POLITE debate about energy policy including plug in electric cars and other alt energy cars. I would also like to discuss new ways of producing energy and the idea of new nuclear power plants to supply our energy until such a time as we can get ALL our power from solar sources.

ONCE AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THIS THREAD FRIENDLY!

That would be nice, but the liberals (in name only, of course) keep us dependent on foreign oil. Here are a few examples:

1. Coal - too dirty
2. Nuclear - too dangerous
3. Hydroelectric - harms environment
4. Solar - Environmentalists Against the Mojave Desert Solar Plant
5. Wind - Ted out to blow down windmills

Well, I'm a left-leaning independent - and been called a radical leftist on this board a few times.

I favor clean coal, nuclear, as well as hydro, solar and wind (where they are feasible). Heck I believe in using the inventories we have as long as we can do it responsibly.

So I think hyper-partisan rants are (as usual) just part of the problem.

I personally think nuclear has to be the key bridge to newer technologies where electricity generation is concerned.

I think when battery technology, photovolteic sensitivity, and wind technology improves, we will be able to take a HUGE step toward USER-GENERATED electricity and THAT's when we really start making progress - imho.

Yeah we really need to decide what our priorities are. I am an enviromentalist and I think that MOST people want a clean and healthy enviroment for their children and grand children but some of the EXTREME eviros are causing more harm than good.

Those are the ones I call environuts. ;)

They jump into things without really considering anything, they rant and scream about saving the planet and will latch onto anything that sounds like a good idea, and they are the ones that are causing more harm as well as forcing people to use products and services which are harmful just because they feel it's better. I am a big picture person, and every possible impact and consequence I believe is just as important. We can't destroy the planet, life will always exist here until the sun burns out, it us that we have to worry about.

[/quote]If Cheney and Boooooosh really wanted to line the pockets of their "rich oil buddies" they would have BANNED all enemy oil imports when they had the chance, SKYROCKETING the price for domestic oil, and oil in general worldwide. And greatly spurring domestic DRILLING in the process. They would have cleaned up, making Bernie Madoff look like a piggy bank rifler!

It's when petty partisan hackery -- which is basically regurgitation without cogitation -- such as yours gets into conversations, that they can become unfriendly very fast.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly!

You seem to forget that Daddy Bush's investment corp handles something like 60 billion a year in investments from Dubai.................. Home of the worlds largest oil refineries with more being built everyday.

You also seem to forget the fact that Haliburton AKA KBR got billions in no bid contracts to build and do everything in Iraq from electrocuting soldiers in showers to feeding them in chow lines.

Why in the world would Bush or Chaney want to walk away from those kind of profits?

Take Blackwater for instance. A huge contributor to the Bush campaign and a man that shared Bush's idea that he was some kind of warrior for God and was to rid the world of other religions. ...................... So not only was Iraq a war of profit for Bush and Chaney it also fit their religious ideals.

Before Clinton became president there were tens and tens of new power plants planned (big ones: baseline coal and nuclear); the regulations were changed and very few were ever built.
A power company pays BAM for designs that meet all the regulations, when the gov changes those regulations before planning can be finalized, the costs skyrocket. Power companies have and are building these nuclear units (as additions to nuclear facilities).
Gov built nuclear plants are used to make ships go or to use for weapons grade uranium.
Solar power works when the sun is shining.
Wind turbines work when the wind is blowing.
Tidal turbines have very select areas where they can be used.
Geothermal plants can only be located next to major fault lines.
We can not build a large enough battery bank to supply any major portion of the electrical grid.
Fossil fuels (natural gas, oil, propane, ethenol, coal, wood in the form of pulp or waste, manure, tires, plant oil or waste) are the most practical energy producers after nuclear. Of these, coal is probably the most economical, and coal units can be designed to reduce pollution to acceptable (say less than a landfill) with the most consistent power supply. It's byproducts can be used to make asphalt, cement, drywall, fertilizer and some plants can harvest hydrogen.
This country was built on energy: at first it was supplied by people, and animals, the rivers were used, steam engines were invented, then came electricity and gas motors. If we don't have energy, we will go back to the dark ages. Do you want your gov telling you who gets to turn on their power and when. Leave it to the market. Keep gov small by keeping taxes low. Power to the individual: when they choose to work alone or together, great things happen. There are individuals working on alternative power sources now, give them time and give them freedom.

Hey I am ALL for using ALL the various types of energy production.....That being said I beleive that the ONLY way we will get 10-20 nuclear power plants up and running is if the FED gov't builds them and then leases them to power companies. They could cut through a lot of regs by invoking emminent domain.

Hey I am ALL for using ALL the various types of energy production.....That being said I beleive that the ONLY way we will get 10-20 nuclear power plants up and running is if the FED gov't builds them and then leases them to power companies. They could cut through a lot of regs by invoking emminent domain.

That's the problem, the government already controls it.

Sorry...

No money left after all the recent (and upcoming) gubmint spending... Going out back and shaking the money tree isn't going to help either... It's just a pile of twigs now...

I would like to have an honest, fair, and POLITE debate about energy policy including plug in electric cars and other alt energy cars. I would also like to discuss new ways of producing energy and the idea of new nuclear power plants to supply our energy until such a time as we can get ALL our power from solar sources.

the problem is everyone is diverted with Obamacare for now
and gas prices are under $3 a gallon

Forum List

Back