'Free Trade' Means Less Employment

LOMA, yap sure... and was supposed to be over in 6 months according to experts like those espousing the virtues of free trade and offshoring, etc.

of course you are a liar. No one in his right mind said it would be over in 6 months. If all economists here and in liberal Europe support free trade who are you to disagree?

BULLSHIT! I specifically recall many "experts" saying it was just an adjustment and the bubble would be over in 6 months.

Yes clowntoon finished up on NAFTA it was set up by Reagan though.
Tell all the facts.

the fact is that almost all economists on both sides support free trade. Even the Europeans support it. That ought to tell you something!!

That most economists are wrong?
That the old rules no longer apply in a global economy?
Or that yes it works for the corporations but not the countries citizens/workers?

Who do economists serve?

most are liberals in universities predisposed to favor libtard tarriffs but the evidence is so overwhelming they don't; not even in Europe.
The second you have tariff to protect American goods

1) the American goods become second class and then the entire country follows as th eliving standard drops and drops.

oh economists are well aware old rules and new global economy. That makes them more rather less for free trade.

BULLSHIT! I specifically recall many "experts" saying it was just an adjustment and the bubble would be over in 6 months.

so prove that they were free traders and tell us when they said it or admit to being a liar??

so prove that they were free traders and tell us when they said it or admit to being a liar??

Prove all that bullshit you said or admit to being a liar.

So there nananana liar liar pants on fire.

LMAO.

that was fun, very childish but fun. thanks for the giggle.

LMAO.

The Economist: ASKED why he believes economists support trade, Greg Mankiw writes:

Economists' devotion to free trade is based not only on the positive conclusion that it leads to a bigger economic pie but also on a couple of related philosophical positions.

LMAO.

The Economist: ASKED why he believes economists support trade, Greg Mankiw writes:

Economists' devotion to free trade is based not only on the positive conclusion that it leads to a bigger economic pie but also on a couple of related philosophical positions.

Ohh yes a bigger economic pie for sure. But the issue is who gets pieces of the pie?
I am out for the people/workers in MY country getting their share.
I really do not care much if a German multinational for example is making a killing off of it.

brutus said:

Ohh yes a bigger economic pie for sure. But the issue is who gets pieces of the pie?
I really do not care much if a German multinational for example is making a killing off of it.[/QUOTE]

brutus said:
too stupid!!1 So put a tariff on, others do the same, and the genius liberal has caused another Depression,

brutus said:

I really do not care much if a German multinational for example is making a killing off of it.

brutus said:
too stupid!!1 So put a tariff on, others do the same, and the genius liberal has caused another Depression,
[/QUOTE]

Well yes at this point, we are already too far down the wrong path.
But that does not mean we keep the pedal to the metal going down that same path.
Some of the more of the same moronic activity... sheesh.

Why I say we need to get used to learn to live with less.
The golden age of America is past.

Last edited:
brutus said:

brutus said:
too stupid how can trade be the wrong path when the whole the world is doing it? Stop trading, make everything yourself and you'd be deadly poor tomorrow. That is exactly how stupid liberalism is.

Think about it, trade has grown from the Revolution forward and we have gotten richer not poorer!!

too stupid. With a billion chinese in business they will invent great new things that wil make us all rich. Electricity makes all humans rich regardless of where it was invented. You do not understand a single thing!!

Think about it, trade has grown from the Revolution forward and we have gotten richer not poorer!!

Umm in case you had not noticed we have been getting poorer for some time.
We as in the Americans that actually do the work to produce things.

brutus said:

We as in the Americans that actually do the work to produce things/
brutus said:
You don't need to be an economist to see how rich the middle class got by looking at all the new inventions they could suddenly afford in the last 10 years: suddenly we had plasma TV's, LCD TV's, DLP-TV's, iPods, iphones, CD's and CD players, DVDs and DVD players, Blue Ray and Blue Ray players, PCs, desk top PCs, DVRs, color printers, satellite radio, Advantium ovens, HD-TV, Playstations, X-Boxes, X-box live, X-box Konnect, broadband, satellite TV, cell/camera/video phones, digital cameras, OnStar, palm corders, Blackberries, smart phones, home theaters, SUVs, big houses, more houses per capita, TiVo, built in wine coolers, granite counter tops, $200 sneakers, color matched front loader washing machines, matching washer dryer combinations, McMansions, 6 burner commercial ranges, Sub Zero refridgerators, more cars than drivers, a $1 billion ring tone industry, a pet industry that just doubled to $34 billion, 10's of millions lining up to buy Apple's I-tablet, Wii, Netflix boxes, jet skis, low profile tires, aluminum/titanium rims, Harley Davidson and Japanese motorcycles. $700 Billon Christmas 2010, $10.5 movies 2010, 10 million crusies.

The list goes on and on. I hope that helps you realize you can't just parrot the communist press and expect to make sense? They have other objectives and are merely using you to promote their point of view.

Last edited:
We could suddenly afford? With credit? With selling our countries future?

You do not see enough of the big picture and where it is likely to go.

and virtually all of that is disposable, not even work for a service industry hwere in the USA.

Last edited:
We could suddenly afford? With credit? With selling our countries future?

You do not see enough of the big picture and where it is likely to go.

and virtually all of that is disposable, not even work for a service industry hwere in the USA.

Credit?????? credit is contracting a ton due to long recession and still Apple and Android have sold 50 million smart toy phones this year so far at $150/ month!! Thats the big picture. And, now that the obscene liberal housing bubble has burst we are done living off real estate. We can get back to real work and get richer than ever.

Last edited:

Amazing.

According to a recently published, peer reviewed, study free trade actually increase employment.

Trade and Unemployment: What Do the Data Say?

That study actually says “A 10 percentage point increase lowers the equilibrium rate of unemployment by about 0.76 percentage points.” In other words, free trade creates jobs.

This is where critical thinking skills come in. I have two conflicting opinions, one written by a guy who subtitles his blog "Marxism Fresh Daily," and the other is written by 3 European economics professors. Which should I give more credence too? Personally, I take the paper where I can actually read and analyze the data for myself over a blog.

Now I remember who tried to convince me how offshoring was good for America.

LOL
thanks for the reminder.

Free trade is good for America, and the world. No country in the history of the world has ever been destroyed by trade. Many countries that have tried to isolate themselves and protect themselves from trad no longer exist.

We as in the Americans that actually do the work to produce things.

Poorer than when?

FT according to what is commonly accused of being lib sources>

freetrade-chart-trade-bysource.gif

the myoptic ideal of kicking every immigrant out, and patrolling our boarders , because they're stealing our jobs just doesn't seem to extend itself to corporatists essentially doing the same thing here is bending the needle on my irony meter...... ~S~

IN the 1980s the USA was the world's largest creditor nation.

Now we are the world's largest debtor nation.

Why? Basically three foolish policy trends explain it.

FREE (ought to be called STIPID) TRADE policies
STUPID SPENDING polices (both foreign and domestic)
UNWISE TAX POLICIES

All three of these foolish policies came to us thanks to the Democratic and Republican Parties working in collusion.

And all three of those foolish policies benefit a tiny minority of the American public at the expense of the vast majority of it.

If FREE TRADE was the boon you people claim, our negative trade imbalances would not exist.

Your belief in an economic policy that doesn't work to your nation's benefit (if you think it does, look at out negative trade imbalance grow as we add more and more FREE TRADE agreements to the mix) is entire faith based nonsense.

SHOW ME THE TRADE BALANCE NUMBERS that support your goofy theories.

You can't because the numbers do not support your theory.

The founding fathers understood the importance of protecting national idustry..that's exactly why the USA had high tariffs to begin with and continued to have them for well over 150 years (the years incidently when the USA became a major industrial power)

Everything you folks who think FREE TRADE (as practiced today) is a good thing is wrong.

I DEFY any of you to prove that our trade policies benefit this nation. Go ahead try. Show us the numbers of it working for the benfit of this nation.

No DOUBT these policies benefit INTERNATIONAL CAPITALISTS, but they are not benefitting this nation.

I am convinced that many of you secretly loath this nation. I know the masters you guys support definitely DO hate this nation, and everything it once stood for.

They and their supporters (who are mostly chickenhawks, too , but that's a different rant) wrap themselves in the rhetoric of patriotism but nothing in the policies you guys support is good for this nation.

FREE TRADE is economic TREASON, boys.

Last edited:
Free trade is good for America, and the world. No country in the history of the world has ever been destroyed by trade. Many countries that have tried to isolate themselves and protect themselves from trad no longer exist.

Threads like these often get filled with people caring more for ideology than America's strength. To top it off, those defending America by debunking the ideology end up hearing:

...FREE TRADE is economic TREASON, boys.

It's a conflict between reality based prosperity versus ill-targeted emotion. The 'trade balance' worshipers have never looked the number up and they don't know what it is nor what it does. The bad part is what they're calling a 'trade balance' ends up spelling higher unemployment:
trdblunmp.jpg

The fact is that the trade balance getting 'worse' means lower unemployment, and reducing the trade deficit means more people out of work. Hey, I'm not holding my breath on anyone changing their mind here, but it's always good when the adults in the room share the facts.

Children! calm down.

Free trade works . . .but only if we have something to offer into the market. without that, trade imbalences occur.

the truth is that in physical products we have nearly nothing that can compete internationally (maybe GM corn, but it won't get accepted in many foreign nations). but that doesn't mean we can't compete!

Education gentlemen is the answer. Our education is greater than that of many poor-waged nations. And we have more intellectual property! It's being exported. Innovation drives our economy, that's what we trade, that is what we sell.

And when we neglect that, we neglect our number 1 export.

A man with a college degree should not be mining or digging out turnips, or working on a factory floor either. He produces no products! He produces ideas, and oversight, and yes, innovations. Services!

shall we assume that if everyone had a college degree that we should force them to build plastic nik-nacks in factories? Or we should force them to press steel in factories? But when they do not produce those things . . .do we assume that they have no value?

We have value, but out value is not transported on trade ships; it is transported in minds, by telephone, by internet, and yes, even in person.

Do not force my highschool drop-outs to do what the utterly uneducated developed world does; instead, capitalize on what it is that you do best! What you do best is not measured by cubic tons, it is not measured in ports and shipping lanes; it is measured in respect, and it is measured in advice, and it is measured in accomplishments.

Forum List

Back