Free Speech? Whats that?

Obama's the boss here. But somehow this guy's political opinions/insults got him fired.

Yeah, exactly.

I'd be fired too, if I told my boss to go fuck himself.

Free speech has consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

He didn't tell Obama to go fuck himself... sigh, please read the link before any further commentary. It is quite clear you didn't read the link in it's entirety.

And lets get one thing straight here, I am in no way defending his insults. I don't like people who make such outrageous statements about women. But like you said before, people have the first amendment right to insult people too.

But hey, he insults Sarah Palin, everyone claps... if he insults Valerie Jarrett he's gone.

The point I'm trying to make is that "free speech" doesn't trump an employer's right to fire their employees.

The First Amendment is pretty clearly written. "Congress shall make no law"

It doesn't say anything about "The Executive Branch may not fire employees for publicly humiliating their office."

That's probably the most laughable thing I've heard, Doc. "Obama is too far to the right for me." So what are you then? A Neo Liberal?

There isn't really a word for what I am.

That is a dodge.

It's not. My political views are my own, I'm not part of any of the "clubs".

I guess you could call me an Anarchist/Realist.

Yeah, exactly.

I'd be fired too, if I told my boss to go fuck himself.

Free speech has consequences.

He didn't tell Obama to go fuck himself... sigh, please read the link before any further commentary. It is quite clear you didn't read the link in it's entirety.

And lets get one thing straight here, I am in no way defending his insults. I don't like people who make such outrageous statements about women. But like you said before, people have the first amendment right to insult people too.

But hey, he insults Sarah Palin, everyone claps... if he insults Valerie Jarrett he's gone.

The point I'm trying to make is that "free speech" doesn't trump an employer's right to fire their employees.

It doesn't say anything about "The Executive Branch may not fire employees for publicly humiliating their office."

Perhaps if you read the whole Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Has congress made a law that I'm not aware of?

Remember how the left blew up when President Bush released some Attorney's, all of whom worked "at the will of the President"?

That was pure evil...

But this is ok.

So you voice your disdain for the Obama Administration, and you get fired from your job because of it.

A White House national security aide has been fired after officials discovered he was anonymously bashing Obama administration officials on Twitter.

Tweeting from the handle @natsecwonk, Jofi Joseph had been slamming the administration from Feb. 2011 until last week when the White House found out about it and shut down the account.

Among the tweets, he called top White House advisor Valerie Jarrett a "vacuous cipher," referred to Sarah Palin as "white trash" and wondered whether Huma Abedin was "wearing beer goggles" on the night she met her husband, Anthony Weiner. He even suggested that Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) was "on to something with the Hillary Clinton whitewash of accountability for Benghazi."

WH Nat'l Security Aide Jofi Joseph Fired After Bashing Obama Admin on Twitter | Fox News Insider

(1) He seemed he was bashing both sides.

(2) He works for the administration.

(3) He does not have 1st Amendment protection for his job.

There isn't really a word for what I am.

That is a dodge.

An Anarchist is far right on the scale. Political realism can be seen as left or right. Left Realism or Right Realism.

My friend made the mistake of bashing his boss on facebook, without remembering that he had added him as a friend. He got fired.

"Free Speech" doesn't protect you from the consequences of that speech.

Ummm no.

Since when should your job be contingent on your political leanings or support for one administration or another?

Always been that way.

We had in our business a basic rule no politics and no religion in the work place.

That is a dodge.

An Anarchist is far right on the scale. Political realism can be seen as left or right. Left Realism or Right Realism.

You can't plot all political viewpoints on a left/right line. There are more than one axis.

"Anarchist" is neither left nor right.

This isn't really the thread for me to detail my political views. Ask me some other time, and I'll try to explain it better.

As we all know, our government includes congress as the legislative branch, so anything that applies to congress applies to the government or vice versa. The "At will" doctrine is flawed here as well, since if it is said he was "representing the government" that government being one that espouses free speech, it would mean his government fired him for something it claims to support.

As we all know, our government includes congress as the legislative branch, so anything that applies to congress applies to the government or vice versa. The "At will" doctrine is flawed here as well, since if it is said he was "representing the government" that government being one that espouses free speech, it would mean his government fired him for something it claims to support.

The First Amendment does one thing, and one thing only.

It prevents Congress from passing laws that regulate speech, religion, or the press.

That's it.

there is no evidence this guy was fired for his political views.

he was fired for insulting the administration, insulting its policies, insulting other govt. officials, insulting private individuals, etc etc..

Free Speech means you can't be prosecuted for your views. That's it.

Ummm no.

Since when should your job be contingent on your political leanings or support for one administration or another?

"Political leanings" have nothing to do with it.

Insulting your boss and co-workers on the internet is what's at issue here.

Yeah it does. If I had money I'd bet you a hundred bucks that if he had bashed John Boehner or Mitch McConnell... maybe some other Republicans, the White House would have been quiet.

It's hypocritical.

Nonsense.

The termination was for cause, having nothing to do with ‘political leanings,’ that’s your own contrived inference.

Once again you’ve succeeded in only exhibiting your partisan ignorance, as there is no free speech ‘violation.’

My friend made the mistake of bashing his boss on facebook, without remembering that he had added him as a friend. He got fired.

"Free Speech" doesn't protect you from the consequences of that speech.

Ummm no.

Since you advocated for it.

Remember, [MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION]?

Dennis Miller tells small business owners to fire Obama supporters

Actually, while it would be an act of workplace discrimination, it would serve as a life lesson for those who advocate policies that hurt their employers. I mean come on, you want to keep your job but you vote for and espouse job killing philosophies.

In some ways you would deserve it.

Last edited:
well, look what we have here?

it looks like [MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION] does indeed support people being layed off simply due to their political views:

Best Layoff Letter Ever:

Dear Employees:

As the CEO of this organization, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barack Obama is our President and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way. To compensate for these increases, our prices would have to increase by about 10%.

But since we cannot increase our prices right now due to the dismal state of the economy, we will have to lay off sixty of our employees instead. This has really been bothering me since I believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who would have to go.

So, this is what I did. I walked through our parking lots and found sixty 'Obama' bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the ones to let go. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. They voted for change......I gave it to them.

I will see the rest of you at the annual company picnic.

well, look what we have here?

it looks like [MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION] does indeed support people being layed off simply due to their political views:

Best Layoff Letter Ever:

Dear Employees:

As the CEO of this organization, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barack Obama is our President and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way. To compensate for these increases, our prices would have to increase by about 10%.

But since we cannot increase our prices right now due to the dismal state of the economy, we will have to lay off sixty of our employees instead. This has really been bothering me since I believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who would have to go.

So, this is what I did. I walked through our parking lots and found sixty 'Obama' bumper stickers on our employees' cars and have decided these folks will be the ones to let go. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. They voted for change......I gave it to them.

I will see the rest of you at the annual company picnic.

Ouch!

Forum List

Back