Free Credit Report Site?

G.T.

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2009
I heard it's free to pull yours like 1 or 2 times a year, but some of the sites I find want credit card info.

Is there a free score site that does NOT REQUIRE CREDIT CARD INFO?

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
What's a credit card :confused:

It's what you slide between a Dancer's buttcheeks when she only takes plastic. Yes, there are several implied meanings within my first sentence, here.

I've encountered what you have, GT. I can get a credit report for free but getting a credit score requires payment. I thought I heard that was something that was going to change, from one of the mega-paged bills that have recently passed? Could be wrong on that though . . . .

The only real way to get a free report is to request it directly from one of the big 3 reporting agencies.
You can get 1 per year or if you've been denied credit because of what's on the reporting agency's report, you have 30 days to request a copy of that agency's report.

A trick my mom taught me to clean it up a bit:
When you get your report you can write companies listed on it and ask for proof of the debt. If no response in 30 days, they must remove it from your report.
I used to do this to erase 2 or 3 a year. haven;t done it in a while.

I searched while I was replying and found this to better explain the process.
Proof of Debt and Debt Collectors: The First Step to Restore your Good Credit Rating

Any request should be in written form and mailed via certified return receipt through the local US Postal Service.......
......... Upon receipt of a request for debt validation, the debt collector has 30 days to provide the consumer with the information requested. Verification must include documentation from the original creditor, a printout of the account is not sufficient.
If the debt collector fails to provide this information they must discontinue collection efforts and are prohibited from reporting said debt to the credit report bureaus.

this is verified to work, I have my whole family do it once a year:

1) go to freecreditreport.com (with the annoying commericials)
2) enter in your info, INCLUDING your CC info in the form
3) get your scores and full reports
4) call the next day to cancel your account ( keep all your emails from them)

they will *only* charge if you keep teh account open 30 days and don't cancel
so cancel the next business day after getting the report and you will be fine, no charge guarenteed. I have had this done tens of times w/ family members

Why is it these companies are allowed to collect all your information and distribute it, but you can't see what they're doing?

We should have free access to their records on us at any time we want it.

Not to mention the underlying issue of these companies collecting your information in the first place...

The only real way to get a free report is to request it directly from one of the big 3 reporting agencies.
You can get 1 per year or if you've been denied credit because of what's on the reporting agency's report, you have 30 days to request a copy of that agency's report.

A trick my mom taught me to clean it up a bit:
When you get your report you can write companies listed on it and ask for proof of the debt. If no response in 30 days, they must remove it from your report.
I used to do this to erase 2 or 3 a year. haven;t done it in a while.

I searched while I was replying and found this to better explain the process.
Proof of Debt and Debt Collectors: The First Step to Restore your Good Credit Rating

Any request should be in written form and mailed via certified return receipt through the local US Postal Service.......
......... Upon receipt of a request for debt validation, the debt collector has 30 days to provide the consumer with the information requested. Verification must include documentation from the original creditor, a printout of the account is not sufficient.
If the debt collector fails to provide this information they must discontinue collection efforts and are prohibited from reporting said debt to the credit report bureaus.

I don't have to clean up my credit, it's Beastly-Strong.

Why is it these companies are allowed to collect all your information and distribute it, but you can't see what they're doing?

We should have free access to their records on us at any time we want it.

Not to mention the underlying issue of these companies collecting your information in the first place...

Well, some entity *has* to collect your information or you wouldn't have a credit score. I agree though, it's pretty much bullshit that you're not allowed access to your score for free. The report is free, but only once per-year and doesn't include your score. That's bullshit.

On the report, it shows companies pulling your records without permission, and it has a star "these pulls will not effect your credit" and is explained that the companies pulled the record to offer promotional crap. I don't know how that's even legal, but whatever. I had a few of those, Verizon pulled my credit for "promotional purposes" and I've never HAD Verizon and never showed interest or even shopped Verizon or gave them any info. about myself. Big Corporations using data-sharing should be illegal.

Quizzle.com

CreditKarma.com

They'll ask some info (not CC#'s), and try to sell you products, but you can just say "no". Each one only pulls their info from one of the credit reporting companies though, but at least they're different companies. This way you can get an idea of what range your credit is in.

Forum List

Back