France: Religious Intolerant or Good Off Fashion Common Decency?

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
France says no to burqas. Is France just being French or are they using common sense? I hear the left already coming to the Muslims defense!

Sarkozy: France 'Cannot Accept' Burqas - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com
PARIS — President Nicolas Sarkozy said the Muslim burqa would not be welcome in France, calling the full-body religious gown a sign of the "debasement" of women.

In the first presidential address to parliament in 136 years, Sarkozy faced critics who fear the burqa issue could stigmatize France's Muslims and said he supported banning the garment from being worn in public.

"In our country, we cannot accept that women be prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity," Sarkozy said to extended applause at the Chateau of Versailles, southwest of Paris.

"The burqa is not a religious sign, it's a sign of subservience, a sign of debasement — I want to say it solemnly," he said. "It will not be welcome on the territory of the French Republic."

Dozens of legislators have called for creating a commission to study a possible ban in France, where there is a small but growing trend of wearing the full-body garment despite a 2004 law forbidding it from being worn in public schools.

France has Western Europe's largest Muslim population, an estimated 5 million people, and the 2004 law sparked fierce debate both at home and abroad.

Well...if I were Queen I would outlaw burkas and Muslims in general. But in the USA it would be unconstitutional to do such a thing.

I've no idea what the French constitution says.

TBH, I think Burqas are ridiculously stupid and degrading. I'm opposed in principle to allowing the state to dictate which types of clothing can and cannot be worn.

Well...if I were Queen I would outlaw burkas and Muslims in general.

I'd outlaw McDonald's so you'd be forced to shed a few. :eusa_think:

Didn't the Brits want to outlaw that?

Personally if the Frogs are doing this to protect women than I think the law is ill-conceived. However, if they want to do it to prevent crime. I mean, if you owned a bank or jewelry store would you want masked people (you can't tell if they are women) coming into your store!

Well...if I were Queen I would outlaw burkas and Muslims in general.

I'd outlaw McDonald's so you'd be forced to shed a few. :eusa_think:

Didn't the Brits want to outlaw that?
I dunno. I was making a fat joke in response to Ravi's comment regarding Muslims.

Personally if the Frogs are doing this to protect women than I think the law is ill-conceived. However, if they want to do it to prevent crime. I mean, if you owned a bank or jewelry store would you want masked people (you can't tell if they are women) coming into your store!
I believe that individual businesses should have the right to place reasonable restrictions on clothing; I simply don't think that the government should be enacting any outright bans. If a woman wants to walk down the street in a burqa, that's her own problem as far as I'm concerned.

It does make it so easy for short peepers though.

i would like to see more woman wearing them myself.....you know like Nancy Pelosi,Barbara Boxer,Rosie O'Donnell,Barbara Streisand,Sealy Bobo,Adreanna Huffington,Ann Coulter,Janet Napolitano,Chrissy,Opra Winfrey,Yukon McKenzie....there are many....

In how many threads are we gonna rehash this subject? I think this is the third thread about this same exact thing. Seems a tad redundant if you ask me.

France says no to burqas. Is France just being French or are they using common sense? I hear the left already coming to the Muslims defense!

Sarkozy: France 'Cannot Accept' Burqas - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com
PARIS — President Nicolas Sarkozy said the Muslim burqa would not be welcome in France, calling the full-body religious gown a sign of the "debasement" of women.

In the first presidential address to parliament in 136 years, Sarkozy faced critics who fear the burqa issue could stigmatize France's Muslims and said he supported banning the garment from being worn in public.

"In our country, we cannot accept that women be prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity," Sarkozy said to extended applause at the Chateau of Versailles, southwest of Paris.

"The burqa is not a religious sign, it's a sign of subservience, a sign of debasement — I want to say it solemnly," he said. "It will not be welcome on the territory of the French Republic."

Dozens of legislators have called for creating a commission to study a possible ban in France, where there is a small but growing trend of wearing the full-body garment despite a 2004 law forbidding it from being worn in public schools.

France has Western Europe's largest Muslim population, an estimated 5 million people, and the 2004 law sparked fierce debate both at home and abroad.

it is insane to ban an article of clothing... totaly outrageous....no better than Muslim countrys forcing a dress code...if I was a french woman I would ware on just because they say i cant...what about nuns..for Christ sake...isn't a habit essentially a burka

One wonders how one enforces such a law?

I understand why they choose to do this, of course.

But if a French citizen chooses to dress in this outlandish fashion, I cannot see how the French can easily prevent it since to do so then puts their government in the position of becoming the FASHION POLICE.

If their point is to keep the French culture alive, they'd be better off deporting those foreign national residing in France.

That, rather than becoming fashion police, actually does make some kind of sense to me.

I believe that individual businesses should have the right to place reasonable restrictions on clothing; I simply don't think that the government should be enacting any outright bans. If a woman wants to walk down the street in a burqa, that's her own problem as far as I'm concerned.

Oh common on! What would happy if Le Fez Jewelry disallowed people with burqas entering their shops? There would be out cries of racism. There would be boycotts. The French Muslim civil rights groups would be up in arms, saying this is all about not letting Muslims into the store. The left would jump on board in a minute! The media twist would never be to prevent crime, that would be a side note excuse for the store owners to justify their "bigotry." Not too mention what would happen to the store at night! :eek:

it is insane to ban an article of clothing... totaly outrageous....no better than Muslim countrys forcing a dress code...if I was a french woman I would ware on just because they say i cant...what about nuns..for Christ sake...isn't a habit essentially a burka

So dress codes are never allowable, huh? So men should be able to wear a speedo in a restaurant? Teachers should be able to wear nothing but bras and panties to school! Auto mechanics should be able to wear nothing? Huh! Take your false liberalism and shove!

Last edited:
But we come to expect that from "truthers!" We are talking about the Burqa (see below) NOT the hijab! Not sure if anyone right or left can come up with a great reason to ban the hijab!

Burqa_Afghanistan_01.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back