Fracking- not the best thing since sliced bread

Anyone posting in this forum should AT LEAST have some passing understanding of radiation exposure and its potential harms. Radiation is all around us and we are bombarded with it 24 hours a day. There are parts of the country were the radiation levels are many times what they are in other parts of the country, and yet there are no differences in cancers or any other radiation-related illnesses or conditions. Taking a long flight in a passenger airplane greatly increases exposure to radiation. The kinds and levels of radiation mentioned in this thread are a joke - no worse than getting an occasional dental X-ray.

It comes from outer space!

That harmful, cancer-causing radiation that airline passengers experience.

That's why so many older pilots are bald - hair killed by the rays.

Those are the lucky ones. Some passengers are sensitive enough that they get skin cancers on the top of their heads from the rays coming through the cabin roof. Those folks should be wearing lead-lined hairpieces or do hand-stands through about 1/2 of the flight to minimize exposure - but only when the seat-belt sign is off.

radioactive is radioactive.

BTW- someone's become unhinged :eusa_whistle: "mother fucker" :rofl:

Last edited:
If they broke the law, then

1) Fine them heavily
2) Make them pay for the cleanup

Seems pretty simple. Dumping your stuff where it doesn't belong should be penalized harshly.

And yet Obama is thrilled to take credit for any increase in fuel supplies or revenue which comes from fracking :thup:

And I haven't even addressed the earthquake issues yet

April 21, 2014

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Tests show that wastewater from gas field landfills contains radioactivity. That is raising concerns about the disposal of Marcellus Shale drill cuttings.

Bill Hughes, chair, Wetzel County Solid Waste Authority, said tests on water leaching from the Meadowfill landfill near Bridgeport show widely varying levels of radioactivity, sometimes spiking to 40 times the clean drinking water standard. The radioactivity occurs naturally in the drill cuttings and brine that come from Marcellus gas wells, he said, so it is in the waste dumped in Meadowfill and other landfills.
- See more at: Marcellus Waste Radioactivity In Water Leaching From Landfills / Public News Service

Look at the bright side!

Give people enough radiation and they glow in the dark and eliminate the need for electric lighting. That means more power plants can be shut down and, Hey Presto, the whole friggin' plante is SAVED...SAVED, I tell you, SAVED!!!!!

I realize you anti-planet people are a little science challenged but are any one of you aware what gamma radiation does to the human body, or any creature's body for that matter. I could post some really gruesome photos if needed. (I won't, but I could.) That guy driving the truck probably has the life expectancy of about seven more years.

Go ahead and post them.

I wonder if boedicca and Mr H would like landfills in their neighborhoods. The ones that exist only have so much containment space, new landfills have to be created all the time. I suggest they volunteer their towns.

If they broke the law, then

1) Fine them heavily
2) Make them pay for the cleanup

Seems pretty simple. Dumping your stuff where it doesn't belong should be penalized harshly.

The fines take years, maybe decades in court to enforce, and the monetary amount is less than a slap on the wrist.

As for paying for the cleanup, forget about it. No one knows how to clean up most of our modern toxic messes.

How is Ra-226 commonly used?

Ra-226 has been used in numerous applications following its discovery over 100 years
ago. At the beginning of the 20th Century, radium was a popular additive in consumer
products such as toothpaste, hair creams, and even food items due to its supposed
beneficial health properties. Such products soon fell out of vogue, and were prohibited
by authorities in many countries because of the potential health effects. Ra-226 was
used until the late 1960s/early 1970s in self-luminous paints for watches, aircraft
switches, clocks, and instrument dials. Because of its gamma emission properties, Ra-
226 was also used in various industrial applications such as radiation monitoring
instrument calibration facilities, industrial radiography cameras, oil well logging
instrumentation, and many others.

I realize you anti-planet people are a little science challenged but are any one of you aware what gamma radiation does to the human body, or any creature's body for that matter. I could post some really gruesome photos if needed. (I won't, but I could.) That guy driving the truck probably has the life expectancy of about seven more years.

^ doesn't know how much gamma it takes to cause harm but makes a diagnosis of early death anyway.

trolls gotta troll

April 21, 2014

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Tests show that wastewater from gas field landfills contains radioactivity. That is raising concerns about the disposal of Marcellus Shale drill cuttings.

Bill Hughes, chair, Wetzel County Solid Waste Authority, said tests on water leaching from the Meadowfill landfill near Bridgeport show widely varying levels of radioactivity, sometimes spiking to 40 times the clean drinking water standard. The radioactivity occurs naturally in the drill cuttings and brine that come from Marcellus gas wells, he said, so it is in the waste dumped in Meadowfill and other landfills.
- See more at: Marcellus Waste Radioactivity In Water Leaching From Landfills / Public News Service

only utter buffoons think it causes earthquakes

oh wait...

April 21, 2014

So...the people who first demand natural gas at cheap prices, forcing companies to frack wells to give them what they demand, and then when those same people demand they truck this stuff around to poorly constructed landfills rather than the time tested way this stuff was disposed of before that no one had any trouble with, is a problem?

I recommend people stop demanding cheap natural gas, or go back to the old rules that worked fine for generations. But I imagine those solutions just make too much sense.

Forum List

Back