FOX News show gets a bit testy... with Westboro Baptists

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by jasendorf, Jun 13, 2006.

1. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdT9dfrb-Q[/ame]

While I find the Phelp's Christian Taliban to be about as vile and loathesome as is humanly possible (and for even more reasons than their picketing of soldiers' funerals), I did find it interesting that the Phelp's spokewoman fed Banderas her hat by calling her out on her cherry picking of the Bible.

Banderas was trying to use Lev. 19:18 to accuse the Phelps group of disobeying God, "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."

Unfortunately, the Phelps spokeswoman knows her Bible a little better than the average Bible-sneak-attack victim and came back with the sentence directly before Banderas' citation... Lev. 19:17, "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him [emphasis mine]." (for the ye-olde-English-impaired, here's the NIV version, "Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt.(emphasis once again mine)") Which, even I can admit, is a pretty strong argument for the Westboro Baptist's vile behavior. Now whether God thinks their particular CHOICE of actions is righteous... he does want his followers to speak out. It's right there in the Bible, no doubt.

I just thought it was interesting to see Banderas caught cherry-picking at a most inopportune time.

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

No - He wants his followers to go to a brother, who may be in sin, and in private try to help that brother see the error of his/her ways. I don't see a mandate to drive people FURTHER from Him by going on TV, picketing funerals, and what-not.

And Lying is stupid, Asendorf. You Love ANYONE who does ANYTHING to discredit or 'trump' ANYTHING FoxNews, or 'right' or 'honest'. You love that hyphenated-name bitch becuase she argued - at least in that one point - successfully against the Fox News person

I'll watch the vid when I get home from work.

3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Wow. You're allying with the WBC. Nice work.

4. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Love is a very strong word that I reserve for my family and some close friends. Maybe you like to toss it around to include whole groups or radio talk show hosts... but I don't.

Don't get me wrong. I do like to see FOX News get its come-uppance... particularly when they get caught cherry-picking. But, I have nothing but hatred for the Westboro Baptists... that's a word I'm a bit more liberal with.

5. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Just because she's a nasty biotch doesn't mean she wasn't right on that particular citation of the Bible.

Or, maybe you're of the type who only cherry-picks what they want the Bible to say too?

6. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Oh yes, I cherrypick from the Bible all day long :laugh:

You're sad.

7. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You chum the waters with "Wow. You're allying with the WBC. Nice work." and then have the nerve to call me sad? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :blah2:

8. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    But you are. You're allying with the WBC because it fits your anti-fox news agenda. That fits the definition of sad.

9. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well, no I'm not. But feel free to keep baiting me, it's funny to watch you work so hard at it.

Since I'm not allying with the Westboro Baptists, the rest of your 'definition' is wrong also.

Do you say, "here fishie fishie" out loud when you type this stuff?

10. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    What media watch site did you get this story from?