FOX News show gets a bit testy... with Westboro Baptists

jasendorf

May 31, 2006
Ohio
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdT9dfrb-Q[/ame]

Julie Banderas loses it as Shirley Phelps-Roper proclaims the word of God to a nation laden with sin. the site's words, not mine!

While I find the Phelp's Christian Taliban to be about as vile and loathesome as is humanly possible (and for even more reasons than their picketing of soldiers' funerals), I did find it interesting that the Phelp's spokewoman fed Banderas her hat by calling her out on her cherry picking of the Bible.

Banderas was trying to use Lev. 19:18 to accuse the Phelps group of disobeying God, "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."

Unfortunately, the Phelps spokeswoman knows her Bible a little better than the average Bible-sneak-attack victim and came back with the sentence directly before Banderas' citation... Lev. 19:17, "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him [emphasis mine]." (for the ye-olde-English-impaired, here's the NIV version, "Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt.(emphasis once again mine)") Which, even I can admit, is a pretty strong argument for the Westboro Baptist's vile behavior. Now whether God thinks their particular CHOICE of actions is righteous... he does want his followers to speak out. It's right there in the Bible, no doubt.

I just thought it was interesting to see Banderas caught cherry-picking at a most inopportune time.

jasendorf said:
Now whether God thinks their particular CHOICE of actions is righteous... he does want his followers to speak out. It's right there in the Bible, no doubt.

I just thought it was interesting to see Banderas caught cherry-picking at a most inopportune time.

No - He wants his followers to go to a brother, who may be in sin, and in private try to help that brother see the error of his/her ways. I don't see a mandate to drive people FURTHER from Him by going on TV, picketing funerals, and what-not.

And Lying is stupid, Asendorf. You Love ANYONE who does ANYTHING to discredit or 'trump' ANYTHING FoxNews, or 'right' or 'honest'. You love that hyphenated-name bitch becuase she argued - at least in that one point - successfully against the Fox News person

I'll watch the vid when I get home from work.

jasendorf said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdT9dfrb-Q

While I find the Phelp's Christian Taliban to be about as vile and loathesome as is humanly possible (and for even more reasons than their picketing of soldiers' funerals), I did find it interesting that the Phelp's spokewoman fed Banderas her hat by calling her out on her cherry picking of the Bible.

Banderas was trying to use Lev. 19:18 to accuse the Phelps group of disobeying God, "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."

Unfortunately, the Phelps spokeswoman knows her Bible a little better than the average Bible-sneak-attack victim and came back with the sentence directly before Banderas' citation... Lev. 19:17, "Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him [emphasis mine]." (for the ye-olde-English-impaired, here's the NIV version, "Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt.(emphasis once again mine)") Which, even I can admit, is a pretty strong argument for the Westboro Baptist's vile behavior. Now whether God thinks their particular CHOICE of actions is righteous... he does want his followers to speak out. It's right there in the Bible, no doubt.

Wow. You're allying with the WBC. Nice work.

Love is a very strong word that I reserve for my family and some close friends. Maybe you like to toss it around to include whole groups or radio talk show hosts... but I don't.

Don't get me wrong. I do like to see FOX News get its come-uppance... particularly when they get caught cherry-picking. But, I have nothing but hatred for the Westboro Baptists... that's a word I'm a bit more liberal with.

The ClayTaurus said:
Wow. You're allying with the WBC. Nice work.

Just because she's a nasty biotch doesn't mean she wasn't right on that particular citation of the Bible.

Or, maybe you're of the type who only cherry-picks what they want the Bible to say too?

jasendorf said:
Just because she's a nasty biotch doesn't mean she wasn't right on that particular citation of the Bible.

Or, maybe you're of the type who only cherry-picks what they want the Bible to say too?
Oh yes, I cherrypick from the Bible all day long :laugh:

You're sad.

The ClayTaurus said:
Oh yes, I cherrypick from the Bible all day long :laugh:

You're sad.

You chum the waters with "Wow. You're allying with the WBC. Nice work." and then have the nerve to call me sad? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :blah2:

jasendorf said:
You chum the waters with "Wow. You're allying with the WBC. Nice work." and then have the nerve to call me sad? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :blah2:
But you are. You're allying with the WBC because it fits your anti-fox news agenda. That fits the definition of sad.

The ClayTaurus said:
But you are.

Well, no I'm not. But feel free to keep baiting me, it's funny to watch you work so hard at it.

You're allying with the WBC because it fits your anti-fox news agenda. That fits the definition of sad.

Since I'm not allying with the Westboro Baptists, the rest of your 'definition' is wrong also.

Do you say, "here fishie fishie" out loud when you type this stuff?

jasendorf said:
Well, no I'm not. But feel free to keep baiting me, it's funny to watch you work so hard at it.

Since I'm not allying with the Westboro Baptists, the rest of your 'definition' is wrong also.

Do you say, "here fishie fishie" out loud when you type this stuff?
What media watch site did you get this story from?

jasendorf said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdT9dfrb-Q

You may have a leg to stand on if you were using these Biblical passages IN CONTEXT...

The Bible also says in Psalms 137
"happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us-
he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks."

Does this mean that we should go around and take non-Christian Babies and kill them by bashing their heads against the Rocks? Are you really that Dumb?

You may want to start reading the Bible with basic Hermeneutic skills..

-Cp said:
You may have a leg to stand on if you were using these Biblical passages IN CONTEXT...

The Bible also says in Psalms 137
"happy is he who repays you
for what you have done to us-
he who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks."

Does this mean that we should go around and take non-Christian Babies and kill them by bashing their heads against the Rocks? Are you really that Dumb?

You may want to start reading the Bible with basic Hermeneutic skills..

What, in Leviticus 19, mitigates what the Phelps-biotch said?

The ClayTaurus said:
Media matters? Crooks and Liars?

Uh, YouTube... the link's above. It's the underlined item in blue. You click on it and it takes you to another site. For more information, try here.

jasendorf said:
Uh, YouTube... the link's above. It's the underlined item in blue. You click on it and it takes you to another site. For more information, try here.
Whatever. You're just regurgitating from some other site. Try and disguise yourself a little better. When you post 3-4 new threads that are not really related except for being anti-republican, it's pretty obvious you're just cherrypicking from some DU-like website. :troll:

-Cp is right on. The Phelps lady has a point, in that we are to rebuke sin in others (the New Testament has such commands as well). The Fox News lady is right in saying that we shouldn't hold grudges, and should love each other as ourselves (which Jesus said was the second most important commandment). These are not contradictory commands. One can rebuke in love, which the WBC types do not do, and I think that was the Fox News lady's point.

The ClayTaurus said:
Whatever. You're just regurgitating from some other site. Try and disguise yourself a little better. When you post 3-4 new threads that are not really related except for being anti-republican, it's pretty obvious you're just cherrypicking from some DU-like website. :troll:

Like I need some weak site like DU to find the Republicans and FOX News making fools of themselves?

If anything, they follow me around and post to their site.

5stringJeff said:
-Cp is right on. The Phelps lady has a point, in that we are to rebuke sin in others (the New Testament has such commands as well). The Fox News lady is right in saying that we shouldn't hold grudges, and should love each other as ourselves (which Jesus said was the second most important commandment). These are not contradictory commands. One can rebuke in love, which the WBC types do not do, and I think that was the Fox News lady's point.

I can mostly agree with that. I think you're rightly divining what the Scripture says but I think that both the Phelps lady and the FOX lady are trying to make the two lines seem diametrically opposed.

jasendorf said:
What, in Leviticus 19, mitigates what the Phelps-biotch said?

Because she's using it out of context to support her and her freaky ideas about going to the funerals of hero's...

Again - like so many liberals - you're not getting the whole picture...

You might wanna know that the Chapter starts out by saying:

The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.

I.e. He is speaing SPECIFICLY to Israelites... How this passage of scripture gives those freaks from Kansas the command to go and protest those soldiers is beyond me...

Again - I wonder how many of these that woman of hate has violated from that same chapter:

" 'Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

I'm pretty sure at least one of her articles of clothing was made from a combination of Polyester and Wool..

-Cp said:
Because she's using it out of context to support her and her freaky ideas about going to the funerals of hero's...

So, if someone uses something in a way to defend their actions, they are automatically taking it "out of contaxt"? Wrong.

Again - like so many liberals - you're not getting the whole picture...

That's right... you're so much smarter than us... you'll do all our thinking for us. We just don't get it. Wrong.

You might wanna know that the Chapter starts out by saying:

The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.

I.e. He is speaing SPECIFICLY to Israelites... How this passage of scripture gives those freaks from Kansas the command to go and protest those soldiers is beyond me...

So, everything in that Chapter doesn't apply to Christians? Then why did the FOX lady bring it up?

Again - I wonder how many of these that woman of hate has violated from that same chapter:

" 'Keep my decrees.
" 'Do not mate different kinds of animals.
" 'Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed.
" 'Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

I'm pretty sure at least one of her articles of clothing was made from a combination of Polyester and Wool..

Oh, I'd make a bet that the Phelps lady doesn't do any of those things... she's nuts.

Forum List

Back