Fox News Compares Immigrants to Garbage

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
They're at it again.

Fox News broadcast a story on immigration with on-screen text that read "Illegal Dumping," evoking a connection between immigrants and garbage.

On the June 4 edition of Fox & Friends, host Steve Doocy teased an upcoming segment about undocumented immigrants, apprehended in Texas and awaiting deportation proceedings, being dropped off at a Phoenix bus station by the Department of Homeland Security. Images of children disembarking from buses were displayed on screen with text that read "Illegal Dumping," a phrase commonly used to describe the unlawful disposal of garbage or other unwanted items.

They're at it again.

Fox News broadcast a story on immigration with on-screen text that read "Illegal Dumping," evoking a connection between immigrants and garbage.

On the June 4 edition of Fox & Friends, host Steve Doocy teased an upcoming segment about undocumented immigrants, apprehended in Texas and awaiting deportation proceedings, being dropped off at a Phoenix bus station by the Department of Homeland Security. Images of children disembarking from buses were displayed on screen with text that read "Illegal Dumping," a phrase commonly used to describe the unlawful disposal of garbage or other unwanted items.

I'm guessing that you don't know your verbs form your nouns. :lol:

dump
verb

1.To release or throw down in a large mass.

dump
noun

1.A place where refuse is dumped.

Hundreds Of Illegal Aliens Dumped At Bus Stations In Arizona - Downtrend.com

Informal - To discard or reject unceremoniously: dump an old friend

Last edited:
They're at it again.

outrage.jpg

They're at it again.

It's not funny hazllnut.

It is costing Arizona Tax payers a lot of money.
We are very concerned about these people, here in Arizona.
Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Phoenix Breaking News - azcentral.com
Volunteers in Phoenix and Tucson have been going to the bus stations to help the migrants make arrangements to buy bus tickets to travel to relatives in other cities. They also have been providing food, water and other necessities.
Most of them are Women and Children lately.
None of the little babies have any diapers let alone anything else.
In the past it was more Men and young teens.

Thousands of young children are crossing the boarder lately without any Adult Supervision.

We suspect that they are orphans fleeing the violence from South America.

They're at it again.

you are kidding right?....you got that out of what was said?....

Last edited:
Yeah it is called dumping. Hospitals that discharge patients too early are patient dumping. Cities that put the homeless on bases for other cities are homeless dumping. That's the term. If illegals don't want to be dumped they can go back where they came from.

They're at it again.

It's not funny hazllnut.

It is costing Arizona Tax payers a lot of money.
We are very concerned about these people, here in Arizona.
Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Phoenix Breaking News - azcentral.com
Volunteers in Phoenix and Tucson have been going to the bus stations to help the migrants make arrangements to buy bus tickets to travel to relatives in other cities. They also have been providing food, water and other necessities.
Most of them are Women and Children lately.
None of the little babies have any diapers let alone anything else.
In the past it was more Men and young teens.

Thousands of young children are crossing the boarder lately without any Adult Supervision.

We suspect that they are orphans fleeing the violence from South America.

No one is dumping, these people are scared and running to a safe haven...

They're at it again.

Wow...you are really reaching! :lmao:

They're at it again.

Actually, [MENTION=39768]hazlnut[/MENTION] has a good point, here.

At issue is the deliberate use of an under-headline to go with a specific graphic:

illegaldumping2.jpg

Information here:

Did Fox Just Compare Immigrants To Garbage? | Blog | Media Matters for America

Now, those on the right can put their hands over their eyes and say "na-na-na-na-na-na", as if this stuff doesn't happen or is unimportant, but I bring forth some arguments that are pretty hard to tear down:

1.) The GOP is getting hammered in the Latino vote. In the last Prez election, it went Obama 71 / Romney 27, margin: Obama +44%

Exit polls 2012: How the vote has shifted - The Washington Post
(2008 exit poll figures are also at the same link, using mouseover)

In 2008, in the Latino vote, it was Obama 67 / McCain 31, margin: Obama +36%.

In 2004, in the Latino vote, it was Kerry 53 / Bush (43) 44, margin: Kerry +9%

So, in 8 years, the DEM advantage in the Latino vote jumped from D+9% to D+44%. That is an absolute catastrophe for the GOP, one that will have far-reaching implications for the next many presidential cycles, possibly a generation or two!

(BTW, there is a similar jump in the Asian vote)

2.) The vast displeasure among the Latino community (and I am speaking of Latinos who ARE US CITIZENS) with the GOP is with it's extremist stance on immigration and the constant use of bigoted slurs and bigoted imagery/sound to demean the Latino community. Don't even get me started on bringing up examples, there are way too many for just one thread.

3.) FOX news, for good or for bad, is considered the propaganda wing for the Right (aka, the GOP), much as MSNBC is considered it's counterpart for the Left.

4.) So, using the old and very true axiom that it is often "more about perception than intent", FOX, in a teaser, which is used to catch peoples' attentions before the cutaway to a commercial break, uses the image of a small Latino boy getting a bottle of water from a DHS agent, and the underheadline says: "illegal dumping". Now, since the phrase "illegal dumping" is used all over the waste management world, it is most commonly associated with trash. Therefore, whether or not FOX "intended" that Latinos might think that FOX is equating a small Latino boy (who would stand for the Latino community, and by extension, for the part of the community that is innocent and vulnerable - namely, kids) with TRASH, it is likely going to be perceived by the Latino community as such. Go google "illegal dumping" and google for images. You will see what I mean:

Illegal-Dumping-Crime-Sign-K-7104.gif

-or-

3703698_G.jpg

Notice that the second image is a screenshot from a FOX news report about Illegal Dumping that obviously has to do with TRASH.

-or, this image-:

32030.jpg

That image is also from a FOX news report:

FOX 40 WICZ TV - Two Pennsylvania Men Arrested Charged with Illegal Dumping [2/26/2014] - News, Sports, Weather, Contests and More - Binghamton, NY

Two Pennsylvania men and their business are charged with illegal dumping of and storage of sewage sludge containing human waste.

In other words, what FOX did was stupid at best and maybe criminal at worst. Either way, it is a perfide form of yellow journalism. I suspect that FOX does this stuff to keep it's white, aging, hard-core, bigoted, racist, homophobic, xenophobic audience tuned in - so, FOX is doing this to make money. But it sure as fuck is not doing the Right any favors in any kind of effort to actually reach out to the Latino community.

Now, Righties can go ahead and laugh at this stuff as if it means nothing, but they do it at their own political peril, because if they think that Latinos don't notice these slams against them, then they are kidding themselves.

[MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION]
[MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION]

Maybe you two would like to pipe in as well.

I'm not laughing, I am surprised how sensitive the left wing nuts are.

All the things in the world and this bothers them? They need to get a life.

Like I said, Righties can do exactly what you are doing, if they want.

And when the Latino voting-block tell the GOP to go fuck itself in 2016, just remember my words.

Please, by all means, feel free to bury your head in the sand. No skin off my back.

Last edited:

And when the Latino voting-block tell the GOP to go fuck itself in 2016, just remember my words.

Please, by all means, feel free to bury your head in the sand. No skin off my back.

the Latinos dont have much respect for your side either Stats....they know that the Democrats look at them as votes and not people.....they call the Democrats "los diablos menores" for a reason...if they ever start their own Party the Democrats may be just as fucked as the Republicans....

the Latinos dont have much respect for your side either Stats....they know that the Democrats look at them as votes and not people.....they call the Democrats "los diablos menores" for a reason...if they ever start their own Party the Democrats may be just as fucked as the Republicans....

That could very well be the case, but still, it's not helping your side one bit.

All of you who are acting like the word "dumping" has no other context than that of dumping trash. Perhaps it shows more where your mind is rather than the person originally making the statement with the word "dumping"!

Oh, please.

Weak sauce. Really weak sauce.

There you go again! Is "weak sauce" the best you can do to counter my point? Can you prove that the Fox News person was actually thinking that (illegal) immergrants are trash when he made the dumping comment or is it pure speculation at best?

Forum List

Back