Fox editor advised political view on global warming

Fox editor urged climate skepticism - Keach Hagey - POLITICO.com

Fox News Washington managing editor Bill Sammon sent an e-mail to staff last December offering guidance on how to handle the climate debate, three weeks after the Climategate scandal broke and in the midst of the Copenhagen climate summit.

“Given the controversy over the veracity of climate change data,” Sammon wrote, “we should refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies.”

Read more: Fox editor urged climate skepticism - Keach Hagey - POLITICO.com

What's the problem? There has been no global warming since 1998, and our entire climate record is only 40 years long.

Aren't news people supposed to urge skepticism?

be nice if the MSM urged a little...

WOW, what a scandal!

“Given the controversy over the veracity of climate change data,” Sammon wrote, “we should refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that critics have called into question. It is not our place as journalists to assert such notions as facts, especially as this debate intensifies.”

The problem with that statement is that it's bullshit. The data demonstrating that the planet has warmed during our current period is not based on data that has been called into question. That data is not a "notion", it is a fact - regardless of how much rightwing talking heads manage to intensify the "debate". One may as well debate the color of the sky.

Can you explain to us in terms that we can understand why Al Gore bought ocean front property in Malibu? :eusa_whistle:

Yes - because Malibu is fucking beautiful and he is very, very wealthy.

Fox News Washington managing editor Bill Sammon sent an e-mail to staff last December offering guidance on how to handle the climate debate, three weeks after the Climategate scandal broke and in the midst of the Copenhagen climate summit.

So, as the science is NOT 'settled', and the data IS compromised, reporting that is a lie, according to 'truthmatters'.

I so love unintended irony.

What is Fox's view on Evolution?

Who cares?

BTW.. it is still the theory of evolution.

And yes, I believe in evolution and creationism.. I think the two can coexist.

Gravity is also a theory, but I don't see any gravity-deniers jumping off the top of Fox news HQ.

Absurd.. there's ample empirical evidence that if you drop something, it falls. The evidence that man evolved from a simple molecular structure does not exist.. although I believe it to be more plausible than some chick and a dude miraculously appearing with leaves over their genitals.

Good grief.

Last edited:
I'll save my faux outrage for the day editors and producers at all the other news organizations don't advise or influence the news where they work and Fox is the only one doing it, until then, there are bigger things to worry about...

The problem with that statement is that it's bullshit. The data demonstrating that the planet has warmed during our current period is not based on data that has been called into question. That data is not a "notion", it is a fact - regardless of how much rightwing talking heads manage to intensify the "debate". One may as well debate the color of the sky.

Can you explain to us in terms that we can understand why Al Gore bought ocean front property in Malibu? :eusa_whistle:

Yes - because Malibu is fucking beautiful and he is very, very wealthy.

So, in conclusion he's a fucking liar when he says the oceans will rise. :lol::lol::lol:

What's the problem? There has been no global warming since 1998, and our entire climate record is only 40 years long.

wrong
File:Instrumental Temperature Record.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, as the science is NOT 'settled', and the data IS compromised, reporting that is a lie, according to 'truthmatters'.

I so love unintended irony.

TM's got the worst case of hoof in mouth I've ever seen.

Who cares?

Gravity is also a theory, but I don't see any gravity-deniers jumping off the top of Fox news HQ.

Absurd.. there's ample empirical evidence that if you drop something, it falls.

Indeed! Yet the theory of gravity is still a...theory.

The evidence that man evolved from a simple molecular structure does not exist.. although I believe it to be more plausible than some chick and a dude miraculously appearing with leaves over their genitals.
There's overwhelmingly complete evidence of evolution. It will likely always remain a theory simply because the process can not be replicated in a lab without the assistance of several million years of time.

I'm 50... since I was about 18 I've heard every crazy ass theory..

1. We're gonna burn up
2. We're gonna freeze
3. Rising water
4. Dropping water

They're batting 0.00 right now. We should have been extinct 40 years ago.

Absurd.. there's ample empirical evidence that if you drop something, it falls.

Indeed! Yet the theory of gravity is still a...theory.

The evidence that man evolved from a simple molecular structure does not exist.. although I believe it to be more plausible than some chick and a dude miraculously appearing with leaves over their genitals.
There's overwhelmingly complete evidence of evolution. It will likely always remain a theory simply because the process can not be replicated in a lab without the assistance of several million years of time.

My point is that advocating wholesale changes in our lifestyles and economies to address a calamity that cannot be proven to exist is crazy. As I stated earlier.. I've been hearing this stuf for 50 years.... life goes on ... it gets a little colder some years, a little warmer others.

Calm the fuck down.

Who cares?

Absurd.. there's ample empirical evidence that if you drop something, it falls. The evidence that man evolved from a simple molecular structure does not exist.. although I believe it to be more plausible than some chick and a dude miraculously appearing with leaves over their genitals.

Good grief.
Actually, there's physical evidence (with repeatable and reproducible results, no less) that when you drop something it falls....Which is way more physical proof (albeit with the cause at the molecular level still being theoretical) than the theory of sentience-from-a-mutant-frogfish evolution and the fairy tale of anthropogenically caused global war...er....climate change, yeah, that's it, rolled into one.

Who cares?

Good grief.

Hundreds of thousand of fossil records are not empirical evidence?
DNA mapping is not empirical evidence?

Good Grief

Last edited:

wrong
File:Instrumental Temperature Record.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, not wrong! We have only had a satellite climate record since the early 70s: FACT!

Without satallite data from the whole globe climate can't be measured, it can only be extrapolated, which is impossible.

And the warmest year on record is still 1998: FACT!

Which means that there has been no global warming since 1998.

My point is that advocating wholesale changes in our lifestyles and economies to address a calamity that cannot be proven to exist is crazy. As I stated earlier.. I've been hearing this stuf for 50 years.... life goes on ... it gets a little colder some years, a little warmer others.

Calm the fuck down.

Perhaps the precautionary principle should apply here until we know for sure...

And I'm not excited, so I find no need to calm down.

Forum List

Back