Fox & Friends crops Jon Stewart quote making him appear to refute global warming

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Fox & Friends crops Jon Stewart quote to suggest "Climategate" emails made him a global warming denier | Media Matters for America

December 03, 2009 12:02 pm ET — 62 Comments
While discussing the purported "Climategate" emails stolen from the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia, Steve Doocy claimed that Jon Stewart "really took a shot at Al Gore," then aired a clip of Stewart stating, "Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented." But Doocy -- in a possible violation of a recent Fox News memo on "Quality Control" -- did not air Stewart's subsequent statement in which he said the emails don't "disprove global warming," but do offer ammunition to global warming deniers.

EMBED
Doocy highlights Stewart's "pretty extraordinary" statement that "[g]lobal warming completely debunked" by emails

From the December 3 edition of Fox & Friends:

DOOCY: Speaking of which, next week, you know the president of the United States is going to be heading to Copenhagen en route to pick up his Nobel Peace prize. Extraordinarily -- Copenhagen is going to be all about global warming and climate change and stuff like that. Extraordinarily, take a look at this. Jon Stewart of The Daily Show, which has historically bashed Republicans and, you know, not bashed Democrats, really took a shot at Al Gore. Look at this.

STEWART [video clip]: Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh the irony. The iron-y.

DOOCY: It is pretty extraordinary that Jon Stewart would be taking a shot at Al Gore, who's been on his program a couple of times. But at the same time, the mainstream media for the most part not covering this whole "climate-gate" thing. It just seems to be us and bloggers like you.

MALKIN: That's for sure. And that is because most of the mainstream media have been the official enablers of the climate-change cult, and I did a column yesterday that was in the New York Post, another one of the few outlets that will tell the truth and expose this entire "climate-gate" scandal and highlighted the "climate-gate" deniers within the Obama administration.

Everyone from John Holdren, who's been a global warming hysteric for the last 30, 40 years, to Carol Browner, who has a very sordid record of destroying data herself, to Spencer Chu, the energy secretary, who earlier this year compared Americans who challenged a lot of this cult mentality about global warming and climate change to unruly teenagers. So, there you go. These are the people who are supposed to represent sound science in the Obama administration, and not a single one of them telling Obama to hold on a minute and take a look at the new information that's come out.

KILMEADE: I understand that people don't have their whole lives to dedicate to climate change, but if you read these emails, you don't need to be a scientist to understand. They actually say the word "trickery" when it comes to numbers and to reach conclusions. I don't know how the president could continue to show up in Copenhagen. He doesn't have a plan. He doesn't have an approved -- cap-and-trade is not even approved. So he's got nothing to say.
Fox & Friends aired the clip over the caption, "All The President's Deniers; Evidence Surfaces That Data Was Manupulated."

But Stewart went on to say, "Now, does it disprove global warming? No, of course not," but it is "catnip" to deniers <more>

Fox has to air all of the Daily Show?

I think Fox saved Stewart embarrassment by not airing his confessing that he believes in the "Voracious CO2 Spaghetti Monster that's Devouring all the Glaciers" Theory

Fox & Friends crops Jon Stewart quote to suggest "Climategate" emails made him a global warming denier | Media Matters for America

December 03, 2009 12:02 pm ET — 62 Comments
While discussing the purported "Climategate" emails stolen from the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia, Steve Doocy claimed that Jon Stewart "really took a shot at Al Gore," then aired a clip of Stewart stating, "Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented." But Doocy -- in a possible violation of a recent Fox News memo on "Quality Control" -- did not air Stewart's subsequent statement in which he said the emails don't "disprove global warming," but do offer ammunition to global warming deniers.

I can tell you're fauxtraged about this...

The horrors...

Fox & Friends is not hard news, folks. It's an am talk show. They do all kinds of goofball stuff. At least they have the decency not to take t hemselves seriously, unlike Katie Couric.

I'm sorry, did someone say that they take Jon Stewart seriously?

Did you watch the clip of The Daily Show that was cropped?

Stewart is or can be funny, but for anyone to watch that clip and come away with the idea that Jon Stewart really thinks these emails debunked GW is nothing short of unbelievable. Jon Stewart is a comedian doing a show. In this instance he cannot be taken seriously. Chance are he didn't even write the script for that joke.

Oh and since Jon Stewart stated that the emails debunked global warming... BEFORE he stated that the emails didn't debunk global warming, I am certain beyond the shadow of Jon's nose on his face that global warming has been debunked.

Immie

:lol:

Wow, Fox and Friends says Jon Stewart "really took a shot at Al Gore," after Jon Stewart really took a shot at Al Gore.

That some breaking news ya got there. :lol:

Yet the video posted here, regardless of FOX included the Gore dig and the one at Inhofe capitalizing on the scandal.

Too many are accusing folks here of spinning the video, when the one here was the only one they were commenting on.

Anyone else notice the Fox defender's changing standards? First it was that this kind of stuff only happened on opinion shows like Hannity and Beck. Didn't happen during their "news" hours. Now that they're caught doing it during the news hours, those don't count either because it's not really news, it's a "talk show", as if they wouldn't flip a shit if Good Morning America or Today got caught doing something like this.

Anyone else notice the Fox defender's changing standards? First it was that this kind of stuff only happened on opinion shows like Hannity and Beck. Didn't happen during their "news" hours. Now that they're caught doing it during the news hours, those don't count either because it's not really news, it's a "talk show", as if they wouldn't flip a shit if Good Morning America or Today got caught doing something like this.

Polk, they were talking about the fact Jon Stewart made a joke at Al Gore's expense, and then they played the clip...of John Stewart making a joke at Al Gore's expense.

Where's the problem?

Polk, they were talking about the fact Jon Stewart made a joke at Al Gore's expense, and then they played the clip...of John Stewart making a joke at Al Gore's expense.

Where's the problem?

If you've seen the segment in question in full, Stewart wasn't denying global warming. He was making a joke about it. To watch that segment though, you'd believe that he was saying global warming isn't occurring.

Where's the problem?

If you've seen the segment in question in full, Stewart wasn't denying global warming. He was making a joke about it. To watch that segment though, you'd believe that he was saying global warming isn't occurring.

The segment was about Al Gore and they played a segment referring to Al Gore.

Had they said "Jon Stewart claims global warming is a hoax" and played a truncated clip, you'd have a point.

But they didn't, this is just another example of the Fox News hater attempting to conjure a tempest in a teapot.

Unfortunately, the facts provide neither.

What, do you expect them to play the entire episode of "The Daily Show"?

I watched the clip and didn't come away with my opinion of the Global Warming issue swayed a single tick one way or the other. I doubt anyone did.

I don't watch "Fox and Friends" because I don't like their style or the hosts. In this case, I think this is a big to do about nothing, although, I suspect it would have been better for Fox to have at least run the Daily Show clip run through to the punchline so that the joke could have been completed.

Immie

Where's the problem?

Are you serious?

Another program I don't watch often is The Daily Show but anyone who has watched more than 45 seconds of The Daily Show knows that Jon Stewart's commentary cannot be taken seriously. Had the clip been of say a Congressman or a prominent scientists or a serious commentator (talking head) then I could see your point, but this is Jon Stewart we are talking about!

Jon Stewart telling a joke does not mean Jon Stewart is telling the world he believes the Global Warming Theory has been debunked.

Immie

which defenders are those? all i see are people mocking the OP.

maybe you should go a size larger on the panties so they'll stop bunching up for no reason?

and who the fuck watches morning talk shows anyway? :rofl:

Where's the problem?

Stewart would be amused by all of this. Of course he would take a shot at Gore. Who with a brain and a sense of humor could resist? He also shoots at Imhoff, the scientists who "lost" the data, the folks against Global Warming and the folks who spread the AGW alarm.

Is there anyone safe from Stewart? NO! That is the guy's genius. Everyone is equally stupid and equally parochial, but they are so from different view points and just can't see it in themselves.

Stewart sees it, magnifies it and exposes it to us.

Stewart was welcomed to a political convention as if he was a real journalist. He exposed himself as he exposed the numb bulbs who welcomed him.

Even Stewart is grist for Stewart's mill.

Forum List

Back