Four Women Arrested Trying to Board Plane

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
this is from a few days ago but why its not in the news is beyond me

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-aus/2005/nov/16/111602614.html

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Four Australian women were arrested while trying to board a plane in Syria after a dismantled handgun was allegedly found inside a toy the women were carrying, officials and media reports said Thursday.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said the four Australian women, who were not immediately identified, were with two Iraqi women and a child when they were detained at Damascus airport on Tuesday.

All six women were of Iraqi origin, the department said in a statement.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. quoted an unidentified Syrian police source as saying the women were arrested after security officers found a dismantled handgun inside a toy the child was carrying.

The women were trying to board a Gulf Air flight bound for Australia via Bahrain.

"I understand that the pieces of weapon were in hand luggage, but there were bullets in the (aircraft's baggage) hold," Gulf Air spokesman David Baker said.

Syrian authorities were investigating whether the women might have been involved in a plot to hijack the plane, and police were questioning the women, the ABC reported.

It was unclear, however, whether the alleged hijacking plot would have affected the flight from Damascus to Bahrain, or the second leg from Bahrain to Australia.

The Gulf Air spokesman would not comment on the reports of a possible hijacking.

"Gulf Air security and the Syrian authorities' security pulled up the group and they were stopped from boarding the plane," Baker said. "It was just normal security processes carried out by the Syrian authorities."

After the women were arrested, the plane was thoroughly searched by authorities and nothing suspicious was found on board, the ABC reported. The airline was cleared to take off three hours later, it said.

Lefty Wilbury said:
this is from a few days ago but why its not in the news is beyond me

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/w-aus/2005/nov/16/111602614.html

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Four Australian women were arrested while trying to board a plane in Syria after a dismantled handgun was allegedly found inside a toy the women were carrying, officials and media reports said Thursday.

The Department of Foreign Affairs said the four Australian women, who were not immediately identified, were with two Iraqi women and a child when they were detained at Damascus airport on Tuesday.

All six women were of Iraqi origin, the department said in a statement.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. quoted an unidentified Syrian police source as saying the women were arrested after security officers found a dismantled handgun inside a toy the child was carrying.

The women were trying to board a Gulf Air flight bound for Australia via Bahrain.

"I understand that the pieces of weapon were in hand luggage, but there were bullets in the (aircraft's baggage) hold," Gulf Air spokesman David Baker said.

Syrian authorities were investigating whether the women might have been involved in a plot to hijack the plane, and police were questioning the women, the ABC reported.

It was unclear, however, whether the alleged hijacking plot would have affected the flight from Damascus to Bahrain, or the second leg from Bahrain to Australia.

The Gulf Air spokesman would not comment on the reports of a possible hijacking.

"Gulf Air security and the Syrian authorities' security pulled up the group and they were stopped from boarding the plane," Baker said. "It was just normal security processes carried out by the Syrian authorities."

After the women were arrested, the plane was thoroughly searched by authorities and nothing suspicious was found on board, the ABC reported. The airline was cleared to take off three hours later, it said.

I've said before I believe incidents like this are happening and being prevented at a very high rate across the globe, including here in the US. I understand all about copycats, but I do not understand letting the public believe threats are pasts and they are free to go back to their comas.

Forum List

Back