CDZ Four major cities ban diesel

oldsoul

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2015
Standing with Covington Kids
Four major cities move to ban diesel vehicles by 2025 - BBC News
Four of world's biggest cities to ban diesel cars from their centres
Mayors of 4 capital cities to ban all diesel vehicles by 2025
So, reportedly, the mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they will implement plans to ban diesel vehicles from their cities. The specifics are not available, to the best of my knowledge, just yet, as to how they will accomplish this. Also, it seems to be somewhat unclear whether these bans will only affect cars and vans, or if it will affect all diesel powered vehicles. They cite air quality concerns as a driving force behind this decision, but I thought we were all told that diesel is better than gas. Well, that is addressed in the articles. While diesel is better on CO2 it is worse in some respects too. Diesels produce soot, also known more broadly as Particulate Matter(PM), and nitrogen oxides (NOx). "Both pollutants can be drastically cut by selective catalytic reduction (also known as urea injection) exhaust treatment systems..."Mayors of 4 capital cities to ban all diesel vehicles by 2025. So why the ban? Well this could be part of it, "...these systems are only arriving in European-market cars in large numbers now, to allow them to comply with the Euro 6b standards that take effect January 1."Mayors of 4 capital cities to ban all diesel vehicles by 2025. It could also be that there are plans such as that in Athens to ban all vehicles.
On the flip side there is this, "Yet diesel use has been rising in many countries, partly for economic reasons and partly as a consequence of measures to combat climate change – diesel vehicles burn fuel more efficiently than conventional petrol engines, reducing carbon dioxide emissions."Four of world's biggest cities to ban diesel cars from their centres This, "Jenny Bates, of Friends of the Earth, added: “This bold move to get rid of diesels, the most polluting vehicles, is exactly what is needed. We need cleaner vehicles and fewer of them."Four of world's biggest cities to ban diesel cars from their centres Alan Andrews, lawyer at the NGO ClientEarth, was quoted by theguardian.com as saying, we need to "go further and faster [with] bold new measures." And then there is what I find to be particularily disturbing, "The biggest shapers of automobile design are not carmakers, but rulemakers." bbc.com.

Im not getting rid of my diesels. I like the mileage way too much. I also like the longevity of the diesel engine if maintained properly. 500,000 to a million miles is not unheard of, 500,000k is pretty much a given with basic upkeep.
My Jetta TDI is an 06, bought it new, never missed any service it needed, it now has 247,000 miles on it, still gets 41mpg combined and up to 60 mpg highway depending on the road and driving habits. Still running like it was new.
My 3500 dually (GMC) is also an 06, bought it new at the same time I bought the Jetta. I now have almost 250,000 in it too, empty highway I get about 21 to 25 mpg, 17 around town, roughly 18 combined. Sounds low when compared to cars but its actually fairly good for a 8000lb truck, I have a 38 ft travel trailer that I tow with it, the trailer is about 13,000lbs, At 250,000 it still pulls like the day I bought it. (although, the above numbers for Mileage do not apply while towing).
Im pretty sure that those numbers and durability are not going to be seen from a gas engine.

Forum List

Back