CDZ Why Mitt Romney should be Trump's Secretary of State

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
Bham, AL
Why Mitt Romney should be Trump's Secretary of State

My take (TL/DR version - Mitt is a stand up guy & bringing him on board helps Trump move his agenda through Congress):

Mitt is a man of integrity - he can be counted on to honor his word

Hell, he did this in opposing Trump during the campaign - many do not like it, but he honored his word

If he comes on board, it will only be done after he has sworn his allegiance - Mitt is a guy that can be counted on once his commitment has been secured

His whole track record demonstrates this. I understand the concern from hard core Trump supporters, but on this, you will have to trust Trump's judgement...

Remember this, there are A LOT like of genuine conservatives and folks who at least "lean right" politically who are frustrated with what has happened in this country, and hated Obama. People that though Hillary was awful, but were just not able to support Donald Trump

Trump won primarily by bringing new people to the party (not the Republican Party, the "election party" if you will")

The new folks got him over the top, but he was only able to win the election because enough "establishment types" held their noses & voted for him.

But again; many did not - many stayed home or voted 3rd party.

Mitt voted 3rd party, but he DID NOT support Clinton

Mitt is respected by those folks. He is also, begrudgingly. respected by those on the left.

Bringing Romney in demonstrates that Trump is willing to set aside personal grievances to do what is right for the country, it also brings those "lost souls" that should have been with us home

Preibus was a great "get" - Romney is better, the guy is not only qualified, he is the best man for the job

His presence would help to unify the Republican Party in a way that would make it easier for Trump to pass legislation that is unrelated to foreign policy. Think about this for a minute, one of the fears that many Trump supporters have had (and one of the hopes from those on the left) is that Trump would be "handcuffed" and unable to move his agenda through Congress. Bringing Romney into his cabinet will dissuade the fears of many congressional Republicans and open them up to supporting parts of Trump's agenda that they may otherwise have fought.

The "Trumpkins" always brag about "3D Chess"

Mitt as SecState is 3D Chess x 1000

Hopefully, Trump is smarter than you, dear dcbl, and doesn't want to see any traitors or popitical prostitutes in his team.

Hopefully, Trump is smarter than you, dear dcbl, and doesn't want to see any traitors or popitical prostitutes in his team.

Wow, you're pretty good at this whole "clean debate" thing - I should be taking notes...

All I can gather from your post is that your feelings are still hurt over rough & tumble politics and that you'd be happier if Trump were to select a crony or a "yes man".

The fact that Trump is willing to surround himself with dissenting voices is actually an encouraging sign that he is a good leader.

And the value of building goodwill that will help him advance his agenda cannot be understated.

So, you got anything other than an insult to come back with?

Or can I look forward to enjoying your melt when Mittens gets the mod like I have enjoyed the melts from our friends on the left since the election?

Wow, you're pretty good at this whole "clean debate" thing - I should be taking notes...

All I can gather from your post is that your feelings are still hurt over rough & tumble politics and that you'd be happier if Trump were to select a crony or a "yes man".

The fact that Trump is willing to surround himself with dissenting voices is actually an encouraging sign that he is a good leader.

And the value of building goodwill that will help him advance his agenda cannot be understated.

Or can I look forward to enjoying your melt when Mittens gets the mod like I have enjoyed the melts from our friends on the left since the election?
And shut down. Nice.

Mitt looks like a guy who got stabbed but doesn’t want to alarm his weekend guests that there is a guy running around with a knife.

I have this image in my head that goes something like this after Romney gets sworn in.

TRUMP: “Putin called. He is ready to discuss bilateral and cooperative strategy in the Middle East.”

MITT: “That fantastic”

TRUMP: “There are likely to be a whole bunch of details, statistics, figures, and important things to remember that are flying across the conference room table.”

MITT: “Absolutely. The Middle East is nothing but nuance. You cannot negotiate a war based on religion so you have to go into it knowing that half a loaf is the best you’re going to ever get done. Nixon in 1971 knew that if you—-“

TRUMP: “Yeah. Nixon sure showed them a thing or two. Mitt, I want you to head up our mission. I want to strike while the iron is hot so I need you to fly over there immediately.

MITT: Okay…when do I leave for Moscow?

TRUMP: Moscow? He’s touring Siberia this week. You’ll meet with him there.

(Romney gets on the 737 set aside for the Secretaries of State. Flies to Alaska. Then over to Vladavistok. From there a Russian chopper takes him to a small village in NE Russia—where Rocky trained in Rocky IV. Mitt realizes he’s the only one on the delegation at this point and pulls out his sat phone.)

MITT: “Mr. President!!! I DON’T SEE ANYONE HERE. NOT PUTIN, NOT MY DELEGATION, NOT BURT YOUNG. NOBODY!!!”

TRUMP: “Mitt. You’re fired.”

Mitt looks like a guy who got stabbed but doesn’t want to alarm his weekend guests that there is a guy running around with a knife.

I have this image in my head that goes something like this after Romney gets sworn in.

TRUMP: “Putin called. He is ready to discuss bilateral and cooperative strategy in the Middle East.”

MITT: “That fantastic”

TRUMP: “There are likely to be a whole bunch of details, statistics, figures, and important things to remember that are flying across the conference room table.”

MITT: “Absolutely. The Middle East is nothing but nuance. You cannot negotiate a war based on religion so you have to go into it knowing that half a loaf is the best you’re going to ever get done. Nixon in 1971 knew that if you—-“

TRUMP: “Yeah. Nixon sure showed them a thing or two. Mitt, I want you to head up our mission. I want to strike while the iron is hot so I need you to fly over there immediately.

MITT: Okay…when do I leave for Moscow?

TRUMP: Moscow? He’s touring Siberia this week. You’ll meet with him there.

(Romney gets on the 737 set aside for the Secretaries of State. Flies to Alaska. Then over to Vladavistok. From there a Russian chopper takes him to a small village in NE Russia—where Rocky trained in Rocky IV. Mitt realizes he’s the only one on the delegation at this point and pulls out his sat phone.)

MITT: “Mr. President!!! I DON’T SEE ANYONE HERE. NOT PUTIN, NOT MY DELEGATION, NOT BURT YOUNG. NOBODY!!!”

TRUMP: “Mitt. You’re fired.”
That is some funny shit. Fit for SNL!!

I see a lot of reasons why you like Romney politically but noting that qualifies him for the actual job of secretary of state. That is one of the core problems with bringing Romney on in that capacity - why put him in that particular position?

I see a lot of reasons why you like Romney politically but noting that qualifies him for the actual job of secretary of state. That is one of the core problems with bringing Romney on in that capacity - why put him in that particular position?

great question

a few short "bullet point" answers

* he ran one of the very few profitable Olympics in modern times

* he is a successful businessman - he has demonstrated that he can get things done

* he did a great job as Governor of Taxachussets

* he is well respected and trustworthy to boot

Lastly, he is well liked and respected by people that WE NEED to sway to our side as we work to Make America Great Again.

Those are all well and good but they really have nothing to do with the job of the secretary of state as that is the chief position for foreign affairs. None of that has to do FP.

Those are all well and good but they really have nothing to do with the job of the secretary of state as that is the chief position for foreign affairs. None of that has to do FP.

As the leader of Bain & Company, he dealt with foreign investors, but more importantly, his experience in running the Olympics would certainly qualify as "foreign policy experience". He would have had to deal with people from all over the world & from almost every country.

eta - Also, as Governor of Massachusetts he also dealt with foreign negotiations...

Last edited:
Donald is just playing him imo....and won't give him the job....this is REALITY TV going on....the APPRENTICE, who is going to be picked drama....who will be told, YOU'RE FIRED?

Fyi, he's Russian, a plant/mole, put here to influence our election and American politics and policies.

He's good at it, and doesn't even really try to hide it!!!!

Fyi, he's Russian, a plant/mole, put here to influence our election and American politics and policies.

Trump is just playing with Romney.

Trump is just playing with Romney.
I agree 100 PERCENT!

He got romney to go before the public and speak nicely of him...making romney appear foolish by eating crow....mission accomplished.... now he can throw him away... is how I think it is going to play out.... could be wrong, but we;ll see....I prefer Romney over Giulliani, Petreaus could be good, I dunno?

He got romney to go before the public and speak nicely of him...making romney appear foolish by eating crow....mission accomplished.... now he can throw him away... is how I think it is going to play out.... could be wrong, but we;ll see....I prefer Romney over Giulliani, Petreaus could be good, I dunno?

I would be happy with the General. The thing about that as a potential appointment is that Trump used his legal problems in the campaign, spoke about how a good man had his life & reputation trashed for MUCH less than Hillary ever did. On that basis, I would like to see him get it.

BUT, if he does, it will strengthen the notion that it is a bad idea to go after Hillary...

Why Mitt Romney should be Trump's Secretary of State

My take (TL/DR version - Mitt is a stand up guy & bringing him on board helps Trump move his agenda through Congress):

Mitt is a man of integrity - he can be counted on to honor his word

Hell, he did this in opposing Trump during the campaign - many do not like it, but he honored his word

If he comes on board, it will only be done after he has sworn his allegiance - Mitt is a guy that can be counted on once his commitment has been secured

His whole track record demonstrates this. I understand the concern from hard core Trump supporters, but on this, you will have to trust Trump's judgement...

Remember this, there are A LOT like of genuine conservatives and folks who at least "lean right" politically who are frustrated with what has happened in this country, and hated Obama. People that though Hillary was awful, but were just not able to support Donald Trump

Trump won primarily by bringing new people to the party (not the Republican Party, the "election party" if you will")

The new folks got him over the top, but he was only able to win the election because enough "establishment types" held their noses & voted for him.

But again; many did not - many stayed home or voted 3rd party.

Mitt voted 3rd party, but he DID NOT support Clinton

Mitt is respected by those folks. He is also, begrudgingly. respected by those on the left.

Bringing Romney in demonstrates that Trump is willing to set aside personal grievances to do what is right for the country, it also brings those "lost souls" that should have been with us home

Preibus was a great "get" - Romney is better, the guy is not only qualified, he is the best man for the job

His presence would help to unify the Republican Party in a way that would make it easier for Trump to pass legislation that is unrelated to foreign policy. Think about this for a minute, one of the fears that many Trump supporters have had (and one of the hopes from those on the left) is that Trump would be "handcuffed" and unable to move his agenda through Congress. Bringing Romney into his cabinet will dissuade the fears of many congressional Republicans and open them up to supporting parts of Trump's agenda that they may otherwise have fought.

The "Trumpkins" always brag about "3D Chess"

Mitt as SecState is 3D Chess x 1000
Romney is completely unqualified for any public office and particularly NOT for Sec State.

Grow up.

Possibly. Not a bad idea if he wants to unify the party.

I am impressed and glad that all the Trump insiders and family HATE Romney.

As do I.

Forum List

Back