'Fountains' of methane 1,000m across erupt from Arctic ice

Yes I do, unlike yourself. The bottom is fractured throughout the region. It is a relatively simple matter to seal up the fractures to get one hole that you cap. But that's called engineering and clearly anything more complicated then 2+2 is beyond your ability.

LOL. In an area 100 miles by 100 miles, there were over 100 'boils'. And you are going to seal them up, on an ocean bottom that is only 50 to 150 meters deep? At what cost? And what does the first storm do to your 'seals'?

I read your links, you half-wit twit, something you very obviously failed to do, and none of them say that "the world was warmer" during the MWP or that "it was global". Not one of those papers even hints at such conclusions. You must just scrape these bogus citations off some denier cult blog and then you must foolishly believe them when they misinform you that these papers say anything pertinent about the MWP without you bothering to actually make any attempt to read them or comprehend them, you sad sorry retard. I dare you to quote any line from those abstracts that says anything about "warmer" than the present "globally".

You have no idea what is going on, you sorry-ass brainwashed moron, or what the issues are or what arenas they will be settled in, so your foolish fantasies about you 'winning' are completely meaningless. As far as "winning" any debates about climate science, you lost those a long time ago but you're too retarded to get it so you keep repeating your debunked drivel and lies, ad nauseam.
Ahhh, now I KNOW you're lying. I ignore lying sacks of poo. They stink up the place.

Are you in the third grade or are you just that retarded? The papers you cited say nothing whatsoever about the global climate being warmer during the MWP. I dared you to quote any line from the papers you cited that supported your claim that those papers "show the MWP was global and warmer then the current day" and you have failed to even try to meet the challenge. That tells me that you know they are bogus citations, you corrupt lying troll.

I decided to lower myself to your level so that you might understand better. I see I didn't lower myself enough.

Very interesting. A point source for an area of a kilometer in water 50 to 150 meters deep. Those are quite some angles on the sides of that cone. Walleyes, do you ever think before you post?

Yes I do, unlike yourself. The bottom is fractured throughout the region. It is a relatively simple matter to seal up the fractures to get one hole that you cap. But that's called engineering and clearly anything more complicated then 2+2 is beyond your ability.

LOL. In an area 100 miles by 100 miles, there were over 100 'boils'. And you are going to seal them up, on an ocean bottom that is only 50 to 150 meters deep? At what cost? And what does the first storm do to your 'seals'?

Try looking at the offsets for the LEAST densely compacted oil fields. 100 boils in a 100x100 mile section is a VAST amount of offset. There are oil fields where the offsets are under 100 FEET. The goal would not be to seal them up, the goal would be to tap the boils. In certain situations with a heavily fractured sea floor you use cement to seal up the fractures AFTER you have bored a well and tapped the source. That way there is a pressure relief system in place.

I can assure the cost would be far less then the trillions of dollars you clowns want to spend on doing nothing. And, we would be able to generate power with it. So PEOPLE would be happy to pay for it.

Jeez, did you even graduate grade school? It seems even the most simple of concepts are far, far beyond your ability to comprehend.

Last edited:
Walleyes posted an article about the evidence from the ocean floor sediment cores from the Indian Ocean, stating that showed it was warmer in the MWP. However, on reading the article, it stated clearly that the average obtained from those cores and other sites indicated a warmiing of about 0.2 C compared to 0.7 today, globally.

Wow your level of understanding of the physical world is remakably primitive. The importance of the Indian Ocean study was to show that the temperature rise was indeed global (refuting one of your basic tenets) and that in the middle of a gigantic heat sink and thermal regulator the temp increase was significant enough to be read!

You really have no concept of thermodynamics at all do you?

Home

Well, according the these scientists, the fat is already in the fire. Real scientists here, people that have studied the Arctic close up and personal. But no one is going to listen. So we will definately find out just how much a major emission of clathrate methane will affect our civilization. Going to be interesting, though I think, a bit unpleasant.

Home

Well, according the these scientists, the fat is already in the fire. Real scientists here, people that have studied the Arctic close up and personal. But no one is going to listen. So we will definately find out just how much a major emission of clathrate methane will affect our civilization. Going to be interesting, though I think, a bit unpleasant.

Yep, real scientists using real crappy computer models are predicting the end of the world yet again. So, what doos this make? Tipping point number 3011?

But, in the real world, the Arctic ice extent is probably going be the highest recorded in over 7 years. And, this is just the beginning.

BTW, I LOVE their name, the Arctic Methane Emergency Group! What a hoot. No bias there at all, hm um, none at all:lol::lol:

COI | Centre for Ocean and Ice | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut

Attachments

• $icecover_current.png
    $icecover_current.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Daily mail ^ | 12.13.2011 | n/a

The Russian research vessel Academician Lavrentiev conducted a survey of 10,000 square miles of sea off the coast of eastern Siberia. They made a terrifying discovery - huge plumes of methane bubbles rising to the surface from the seabed. 'We found more than 100 fountains, some more than a kilometre across,' said Dr Igor Semiletov, 'These are methane fields on a scale not seen before. The emissions went directly into the atmosphere.'

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...
'Fountains' of methane 1,000m across erupt from Arctic ice - a greenhouse gas 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide | Mail Online

So if the methane comes from the bottom of the sea, What difference does ice make? Wouldn't the gas just find its way to the edges of the ice? Also, humans didn't create the methane. The Earth released it.

Home

How was this caused by man again?

The Russian research vessel Academician Lavrentiev conducted a survey of 10,000 square miles of sea off the coast of eastern Siberia. They made a terrifying discovery - huge plumes of methane bubbles rising to the surface from the seabed. 'We found more than 100 fountains, some more than a kilometre across,' said Dr Igor Semiletov, 'These are methane fields on a scale not seen before. The emissions went directly into the atmosphere.'

'Fountains' of methane 1,000m across erupt from Arctic ice - a greenhouse gas 30 times more potent than carbon dioxide | Mail Online

So if the methane comes from the bottom of the sea, What difference does ice make? Wouldn't the gas just find its way to the edges of the ice? Also, humans didn't create the methane. The Earth released it.

What these methane heads have failed to show is that this methane release hasn't been going on all along. Just because some government funded expedition finds something, that doesn't mean it's a new phenomena.

This reminds me of the ozone hole. No one ever bothered to prove that was something new either. They just assumed it. Yet, we all had to give up using fluorocarbons in our air conditioners.

Home

You'll have to forgive me if I don't accept publicans from the "Methane Integrity Group" as credible. They come off as some fringe leftwing environmental political hack operation.

Granny says, "Dat's right...

... an' when dey crank up dat Large Hadron Collider...

... sparks from dem atoms dey splittin'...

... gonna set off dat methane from alla dat polar bear poop atta North Pole...

... an' blow uppa world...

... just wait an' see...

... gonna happen on Dec.21, 2012, just like dem Mayans predictin'...

... an' den we all gonna die.
:eek:

Last edited:

There's no video evidence at the link.

so excuse me for finding it hard to buy that it's only occurring there.

What these methane heads have failed to show is that this methane release hasn't been going on all along. Just because some government funded expedition finds something, that doesn't mean it's a new phenomena.

This reminds me of the ozone hole. No one ever bothered to prove that was something new either. They just assumed it. Yet, we all had to give up using fluorocarbons in our air conditioners.

You are still proving yourself to be a stupid ass, Pattycake. Yes, the ozone 'hole' was proven to be something new, and it was proven that the chemical reactions at that altitude from the flourocarbons were the problem. In fact, a Nobel prize was awarded to the chemist that supplied the proof.

Of course, you could have researched to see how far back this has been monitored, and what was found then. But that would be a little like work, and you would just rather flap yap.

Your opinion, based in willfull ignorance is irrelevant, in any case.

There's no video evidence at the link.

so excuse me for finding it hard to buy that it's only occurring there.

Hmmm..... The outgassing was spotted by satellite. And were it occuring in other oceans, we would see that also. And, as stated by the scientists that were on the ship that was put out on an emergency basis, these findings were in just an area 100 by 100 miles. They stated that they saw no reason that the rest of the shelf was not doing the same.

If it were to be occurring at this scale in other oceans, then it is game over. Runaway climate change. That does not mean Venus, what it does mean is that we cannot affect the scope, or extant of the change. A repeat of conditions in the PETM, possibly worse. With seven billion people on the planet. A sad kind of population control.

Home

Professor Peter Wadhams, on behalf of the Arctic Methane Emergency Group, spoke about this critical issue at the December 2011 American Geophysical Union (AGU) conference in San Francisco, USA. Key elements of his talk have been widely reported, following an article in the UK's Independent newspaper. (Please find copies of this and subsequent articles attached.)

The substance of our concerns – and the basis for these media reports – is outlined in the attached 16-page document entitled Arctic Methane Alert. To summarise:

• The loss of Arctic summer sea ice and increased warming of the Arctic seas threaten methane hydrate instability and a massive catastrophic release of methane into the atmosphere, as noted in IPCC AR4.

• Research published by N. Shakhova* shows that methane is already venting into the atmosphere from seabed methane hydrates on the East Siberian Arctic shelf, or ESAS (the world's largest continental shelf), which, if allowed to escalate, would likely lead to abrupt and catastrophic global warming.

• The latest research expedition to the region (September/October 2011), according to Professor I. Semiletov, witnessed methane plumes on a "fantastic scale," "some one kilometer in diameter," "far greater" than previous observations, which were officially reported in 2010 to equal methane emissions from all the other oceans put together.

• The loss of Arctic summer sea ice and subsequent increased Arctic surface warming will inevitably increase the rate of methane emissions already being released from Arctic wetlands and thawing permafrost.

• The latest available data indicates there is a 5-10% possibility of the Arctic being ice free in September by 2013, more likely 2015, and with 95% confidence by 2018. This, according to the recognised world authorities on Arctic sea ice, Prof. Wadhams and Dr. Wieslaw Maslowski, is the point of no return for summer sea ice. Once past this point, it could prove impossible to reverse the retreat by any kind of intervention. The data indicate the Arctic could be ice free for six months of the year by 2020 (PIOMAS 2011).

Home

Forum List

Back